    offered for upgrading and doing so is entirely at own risk - they told me
    they couldn't give any information and "best try the internet".

    TIA.

    ian field, Jul 18, 2007

  2. ian field

    meerkat Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    news:IZqni.39$...
    > Anyone tried upgrading the 80Gb HD to 160Gb on one of these DVB-T
    > recorders?
    >
    > My google searches so far found a message board with someone claiming to
    > have done so, but no info on preparing/formatting the new drive, there
    > does
    > not appear to be a format function in any of the menus.
    >
    > A phone call to Digifusion got the response that no hardware or support is
    > offered for upgrading and doing so is entirely at own risk - they told me
    > they couldn't give any information and "best try the internet".

    You could try removing the 80gig, and popping it in your
    PC as a slave.
    That way, you might find out more about the structure of
    the drive.
    HTH.

    bw..

    meerkat, Jul 18, 2007

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >> Anyone tried upgrading the 80Gb HD to 160Gb on one of these DVB-T
    >> recorders?
    >>
    >> My google searches so far found a message board with someone claiming to
    >> have done so, but no info on preparing/formatting the new drive, there
    >> does
    >> not appear to be a format function in any of the menus.
    >>
    >> A phone call to Digifusion got the response that no hardware or support
    >> is
    >> offered for upgrading and doing so is entirely at own risk - they told me
    >> they couldn't give any information and "best try the internet".
    >>

    > You could try removing the 80gig, and popping it in your
    > PC as a slave.
    > That way, you might find out more about the structure of
    > the drive.
    > HTH.
    >
    > bw..

    Thanks,

    Since posting my question I've made a few more attempts at re-wording my
    google search string and found another very interesting message board, it
    turns out the FVRT90 *does* have a format option, that is not mentioned in
    any of the literature - select "recorded programme list" and enter "4565", I
    tried this and sure enough a format menu popped up (which I cancelled before
    mishap). The current drive is about half full of programmes to cover the
    many times there's only crap on all the channels, so when I've used those I
    can do the swap.

    The message board I found has a number of entries where the participants
    have tried connecting the DVR drive to a PC, apparently the partitions are
    recognised by XP and the *.TS files can be converted to DVD or MPEG without
    too much trouble but the conversion apps aren't free!

    ian field, Jul 18, 2007
  4. ian field

    meerkat Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message

    > "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone tried upgrading the 80Gb HD to 160Gb on one of these DVB-T
    >>> recorders?
    >>>

    >> You could try removing the 80gig, and popping it in your
    >> PC as a slave.
    >> That way, you might find out more about the structure of
    >> the drive.
    >> HTH.
    >>
    >> bw..

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Since posting my question I've made a few more attempts at re-wording my
    > google search string and found another very interesting message board, it
    > turns out the FVRT90 *does* have a format option, that is not mentioned in
    > any of the literature - select "recorded programme list" and enter "4565",
    > I tried this and sure enough a format menu popped up (which I cancelled
    > before mishap). The current drive is about half full of programmes to
    > cover the many times there's only crap on all the channels, so when I've
    > used those I can do the swap.
    >
    > The message board I found has a number of entries where the participants
    > have tried connecting the DVR drive to a PC, apparently the partitions are
    > recognised by XP and the *.TS files can be converted to DVD or MPEG
    > without too much trouble but the conversion apps aren't free!

    Well done Ian. Varying words a bit often works on good
    old google.

    As for Apps to do what you want.
    If you`re skint like me <g>, you might find what you need,
    by devious means.
    ie. Piratesbay and utorrent.

    bw..

    meerkat, Jul 18, 2007
  5. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "meerkat" <> wrote in message

    > "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "meerkat" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >>>>
    >>> You could try removing the 80gig, and popping it in your
    >>> PC as a slave.
    >>> That way, you might find out more about the structure of
    >>> the drive.
    >>> HTH.
    >>>
    >>> bw..

    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Since posting my question I've made a few more attempts at re-wording my
    >> google search string and found another very interesting message board, it
    >> turns out the FVRT90 *does* have a format option, that is not mentioned
    >> in any of the literature - select "recorded programme list" and enter
    >> "4565", I tried this and sure enough a format menu popped up (which I
    >> cancelled before mishap). The current drive is about half full of
    >> programmes to cover the many times there's only crap on all the channels,
    >> so when I've used those I can do the swap.
    >>
    >> The message board I found has a number of entries where the participants
    >> have tried connecting the DVR drive to a PC, apparently the partitions
    >> are recognised by XP and the *.TS files can be converted to DVD or MPEG
    >> without too much trouble but the conversion apps aren't free!

    > Well done Ian. Varying words a bit often works on good
    > old google.
    >
    > As for Apps to do what you want.
    > If you`re skint like me <g>, you might find what you need,
    > by devious means.
    > ie. Piratesbay and utorrent.
    >
    > bw..

    Any idea why skype plugins crash the browser every time I try to download
    anything from The Pirates Bay ?

    ian field, Jul 18, 2007
  6. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:12:24 +0000, ian field wrote:

    > Anyone tried upgrading the 80Gb HD to 160Gb on one of these DVB-T recorders?
    >
    > My google searches so far found a message board with someone claiming to
    > have done so, but no info on preparing/formatting the new drive, there does
    > not appear to be a format function in any of the menus.
    >
    > A phone call to Digifusion got the response that no hardware or support is
    > offered for upgrading and doing so is entirely at own risk - they told me
    > they couldn't give any information and "best try the internet".

    If the software needed to run your DVR resides on the current 80gb hard
    drive, you won't be able to just pop a bigger drive in.

    Meat Plow, Jul 18, 2007
  7. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:12:24 +0000, ian field wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone tried upgrading the 80Gb HD to 160Gb on one of these DVB-T
    >> recorders?
    >>
    >> My google searches so far found a message board with someone claiming to
    >> have done so, but no info on preparing/formatting the new drive, there
    >> does
    >> not appear to be a format function in any of the menus.
    >>
    >> A phone call to Digifusion got the response that no hardware or support
    >> is
    >> offered for upgrading and doing so is entirely at own risk - they told me
    >> they couldn't give any information and "best try the internet".
    >>

    > If the software needed to run your DVR resides on the current 80gb hard
    > drive, you won't be able to just pop a bigger drive in.

    The info I've found since posting seems to suggest that isn't the case, now
    I know the "secret code" to activate the format menu the info I have
    indicates that once the format is complete the box goes through the software
    setup and re-scan channels automatically. Presumably if anything goes wrong
    I can just re-fit the original drive.

    ian field, Jul 19, 2007
  8. ian field

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:09:27 +0000, ian field wrote:

    > "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:12:24 +0000, ian field wrote:
    >>
    >>> Anyone tried upgrading the 80Gb HD to 160Gb on one of these DVB-T
    >>> recorders?
    >>>
    >>> My google searches so far found a message board with someone claiming to
    >>> have done so, but no info on preparing/formatting the new drive, there
    >>> does
    >>> not appear to be a format function in any of the menus.
    >>>
    >>> A phone call to Digifusion got the response that no hardware or support
    >>> is
    >>> offered for upgrading and doing so is entirely at own risk - they told me
    >>> they couldn't give any information and "best try the internet".
    >>>

    >> If the software needed to run your DVR resides on the current 80gb hard
    >> drive, you won't be able to just pop a bigger drive in.
    >>

    > The info I've found since posting seems to suggest that isn't the case, now
    > I know the "secret code" to activate the format menu the info I have
    > indicates that once the format is complete the box goes through the software
    > setup and re-scan channels automatically. Presumably if anything goes wrong
    > I can just re-fit the original drive.

    I suppose the o/s could be stored in non-volatile memory these
    days. And yes you can just refit the old drive if you have problems but I
    don't really anticipate any. Of course you will set the drive jumpers
    properly if that's an issue.

    Meat Plow, Jul 19, 2007
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:09:27 +0000, ian field wrote:
    >

    >> "Meat Plow" <> wrote in message

    >>> If the software needed to run your DVR resides on the current 80gb hard
    >>> drive, you won't be able to just pop a bigger drive in.
    >>>

    >> The info I've found since posting seems to suggest that isn't the case,
    >> now
    >> I know the "secret code" to activate the format menu the info I have
    >> indicates that once the format is complete the box goes through the
    >> software
    >> setup and re-scan channels automatically. Presumably if anything goes
    >> wrong
    >> I can just re-fit the original drive.

    > I suppose the o/s could be stored in non-volatile memory these
    > days. And yes you can just refit the old drive if you have problems but I
    > don't really anticipate any. Of course you will set the drive jumpers
    > properly if that's an issue.

    Someone on the message board I found gave instructions on how to start with
    the 160G drive and they repeated a couple of times the jumper must be set to
    master, making it seem that something nasty might happen otherwise, but at
    the end they said "if the drive formats in no time at all the jumper must be
    set wrong", followed by something like "reset the jumper and start again".

    Apparently the drive has 2 partitions, one for OS & the other for the
    recordings, the person who gave the instructions reported successful upgrade
    from 40 to 80 hours, so the basic OS and bootloader must be on ROM.

    The one problem I expect is the software updates will be removed with the
    old drive, so some handy new features will be lost until the next update is
    broadcast along with the signal.

    ian field, Jul 19, 2007
  10. ian field

    aliashh

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    fitting replacement hard drive in FVRT90

    Using the &quot;recorded program list and entering 4565&quot; procedure worked fine for me. As to extracting the programs on the removed hard drive, what you need is a freebie (at least it was when I downloaded it) JAFusion.exe. the readme states &quot;File extractor for Fusion 90/95 & Ferguson FPVR1T&quot; but the Ferguson is a rebadged FVRT90. Just connect the drive to a PC by usb and the drive should be detected by the system but it does not recognise the format. Just run JAFusion.exe and it will allow you to recover the programs. Before completing the post I thought I better search for JAFusion and got nowhere. If anybody needs it let me know and I will upload it to Driverguide.com.

    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012
    aliashh, Jun 17, 2012