    Anyone willing to confirm/vouch for them?

    TIA,
    Vin

    Vin, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Vin

    SleeperMan Guest

    Vin wrote:
    > MY Criteria is:
    >
    > 4-5 megapixel camera with manual settings, good flash & BEST in class
    > video capabilities (unlimited recording limited by media size,
    > exposure correction during recording for better quality videos etc)
    > for basic in-the-house video needs
    >
    > Not looking at splurging too much, maybe about $300. I did some
    > digging and found that the Sony P73/93 and Nikon 5200 MIGHT offer
    > what i want.
    >
    > Anyone willing to confirm/vouch for them?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Vin

    just my humble opinion...if you want to shoot home video - normally from
    hand, get a camera with image stabilizer or all your video's will be shaky.
    I have Canon S1 IS - 3.2 M, 640x480 30 fps, 10 x optical zoom, image
    stabilizer. video size is only limited to 1G, which gives about 8 minutes in
    best mode. After that (with larger card) you must stop and start again.
    at the end, if you think, 8 minutes is quite enough for home needs. You'll
    probably need so long shot very rarely.
    BTW...4-5M is definitely not needed for video shooting, since you shoot in
    640x480 mode, which gives ONLY 300.000 pixels. But big optical zoom is very
    usefull, also beware since not all cameras allow zooming while filming (S1
    allows).

    SleeperMan, Feb 6, 2005

  3. Vin

    Guest

    The Canon s1 IS has a 640x320 regular and fine mode. The Konica
    Minolta Dimage Z3 has an excellent video mode. It also has image
    stabilization. I think both cameras allow you to zoom while using
    video. I know the Canon S1 IS you can do primitive editing from the
    camera. Just a warning that video clips can get really large.

    With the Canon S1 IS you need a fast CF card or else the video will
    periodically stop and wait for the video to be written to the card.

    Paul

    , Feb 18, 2005