digi cameras with [save to disk] feature

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by meowmiez, Oct 5, 2004.

  1. meowmiez

    meowmiez Guest

    hello list

    in busy worksituations i want to simplify the process of getting
    images from a digi-camera to my computer (mac os 10.3.5). as
    downloading a batch of pictures can take up quite a lot of time.
    ideally i'd have a wifi camera to save directly to the machine.
    (bluetooth will be discontinued so i don't care about those.) as the
    wifi ones are too expensive for now i am wondering if there are any
    cameras that can save directly to the computer harddisk over usb? the
    sony dsc p7 i fiddled with has only a usb or photo mode. no connection
    can be established while taking pictures.

    does anyone know about models that allow a direct save to disk
    routine? any hint or recommendation is highly appreciated

    // searched the archive but found only old posts regarding that topic.

    best

    meow

    meowmiez, Oct 5, 2004

  2. meowmiez

    Eric Gill Guest

    (meowmiez) wrote in

    > hello list
    >
    > in busy worksituations i want to simplify the process of getting
    > images from a digi-camera to my computer (mac os 10.3.5). as
    > downloading a batch of pictures can take up quite a lot of time.

    ....because it's downloading over a USB 1.1 interface, which is very, very
    slow.

    > ideally i'd have a wifi camera to save directly to the machine.
    > (bluetooth will be discontinued so i don't care about those.) as the
    > wifi ones are too expensive for now i am wondering if there are any
    > cameras that can save directly to the computer harddisk over usb?

    Not at the (low-end consumer) level of the P7 you use as an example, no.

    > the
    > sony dsc p7 i fiddled with has only a usb or photo mode. no connection
    > can be established while taking pictures.
    >
    > does anyone know about models that allow a direct save to disk
    > routine?

    Some older Sonys wrote directly to a CD. I didn't care for them then and
    can't think of a good reason to use them now that cards are so much
    cheaper, faster, and (can be) higher capacity.

    > any hint or recommendation is highly appreciated

    USB 2.0 (or better yet, Firewire) readers are up to forty times faster
    than retrieving from the camera over USB 1.1.

    If you're shooting at the image size of the P7, inexpensive 1GB cards can
    hold *hundreds* of images apiece (something like 900). Two of those and a
    fast card reader and you'll be set.

    <snip>

    Eric Gill, Oct 5, 2004

  3. meowmiez

    John Guest

    << Some older Sonys wrote directly to a CD. I didn't care for them then and
    can't think of a good reason to use them now that cards are so much
    cheaper, faster, and (can be) higher capacity. >>

    Some older Sony's wrote to a floppy disk. Useless for those wanting to print
    posters, but very useful for web page designers like myself. Man I wish I had
    a Sony Mavica floppy disk camera. I cant stand performing photoshop tricks on
    every image I post on my websites all the time, as its getting to be a pain in
    the butt!! Newer Photoshop versions have a Save as web feature which is nice.

    My Vivitar is only 2.1MP (cost over $200 in 2002). Yet the images it saves are
    way too big for webpages, especially since I take modem users into
    consideration. Some website designers forget that modem users exist, and their
    website reflect their bad memories.

    John
    -------
    America is back from the attack on our homeland, back from the attack on our
    economy, and back from the attack on our way of life. We are back because of
    the perseverance, character and leadership of George W. Bush! (Arnold
    Schwarzenegger, 2004).

    John, Oct 5, 2004
  4. meowmiez

    Eric Gill Guest

    Wbush04 (John) wrote in

    > << Some older Sonys wrote directly to a CD. I didn't care for them
    > then and can't think of a good reason to use them now that cards are
    > so much cheaper, faster, and (can be) higher capacity. >>
    >
    > Some older Sony's wrote to a floppy disk.

    Their image quality was horrible, too, probably as a tradeoff. I may have
    some of the horror-story examples I used to keep around to warn people
    away.

    > Useless for those wanting
    > to print posters, but very useful for web page designers like myself.
    > Man I wish I had a Sony Mavica floppy disk camera.

    Jesus - why? The write speed on a floppy is godawafully slow compared to
    even the USB 1.1 attachment under discussion. Slow camera reation time,
    slow transfer to computer, poor image quality.

    > I cant stand
    > performing photoshop tricks on every image I post on my websites all
    > the time, as its getting to be a pain in the butt!! Newer Photoshop
    > versions have a Save as web feature which is nice.
    >
    > My Vivitar is only 2.1MP (cost over $200 in 2002). Yet the images it
    > saves are way too big for webpages,

    File-Automate-Web Gallery. Select the size and compression amount you want
    for the images, throw away the html pages and thumbnails it generates if
    you don't need 'em.

    Eric Gill, Oct 5, 2004
  5. meowmiez

    John Guest

    << Their image quality was horrible, too, probably as a tradeoff. I may have
    some of the horror-story examples I used to keep around to warn people
    away. >>

    Depends on the camera. I got very nice results from the 2.0MP Mavica. Many
    use it on Ebay. The quality is excellent. Once at a print shop I used to
    work, we did a Halloween photo day for customers. My job was to print the
    pictures from the Mavica with our fancy color laser printer. I print out
    probably over 20 pictures, and each one almost looked like a photo, and this
    was using the 1.3MP Mavica.

    << Jesus - why? The write speed on a floppy is godawafully slow compared to
    even the USB 1.1 attachment under discussion. Slow camera reation time,
    slow transfer to computer, poor image quality.

    Very true... But again this all depends on the floppy disk drive. I've used
    cheap ones, and I've used expensive ones. I can say that the one in my laptop
    is quite fast and very reliable. I've almost never lost a floppy due to
    corruption with it, and I use them weekly. But overall I'd say the technology
    is ancient. However its better than what some people give it credit for.

    << File-Automate-Web Gallery. Select the size and compression amount you want
    for the images, throw away the html pages and thumbnails it generates if
    you don't need 'em. >>

    I am not using Windows.

    John

    -------

    John, Oct 6, 2004
  6. meowmiez

    Eric Gill Guest

    Wbush04 (John) wrote in

    > << File-Automate-Web Gallery. Select the size and compression amount
    > you want for the images, throw away the html pages and thumbnails it
    > generates if you don't need 'em. >>
    >
    > I am not using Windows.

    Or Photoshop, presumably.

    Eric Gill, Oct 6, 2004
  7. meowmiez

    meowmiez Guest

    > Not at the (low-end consumer) level of the P7 you use as an example, no.

    do you know about any cameras or the pricelevel, where the magic of
    direct download starts?

    > If you're shooting at the image size of the P7, inexpensive 1GB cards can
    > hold *hundreds* of images apiece (something like 900). Two of those and a
    > fast card reader and you'll be set.

    thing is that each picture should be processed immediately after it
    was taken. the setup would be that one person is taking the pictures
    and a second is processing them at the "same" time. therefore a bigger
    card won't make me happy.

    best

    meowmiez, Oct 6, 2004
  8. meowmiez

    Eric Gill Guest

    (meowmiez) wrote in

    >> Not at the (low-end consumer) level of the P7 you use as an example,
    >> no.

    > do you know about any cameras or the pricelevel, where the magic of
    > direct download starts?

    Currently and actually available?

    The only ones I'm aware of are digital backs for medium-format bodies. In
    addition to the camera itself, the back will run, oh, $10K or so.

    The WiFi attachments are the only way below the super-pro level, and you
    cannot actually buy one yet. When you can, the cheapest option so far
    announced would be the Canon 20D, at about $1,500 for the body.

    >> If you're shooting at the image size of the P7, inexpensive 1GB cards
    >> can hold *hundreds* of images apiece (something like 900). Two of
    >> those and a fast card reader and you'll be set.

    > thing is that each picture should be processed immediately after it
    > was taken. the setup would be that one person is taking the pictures
    > and a second is processing them at the "same" time. therefore a bigger
    > card won't make me happy.

    Good luck.

    Eric Gill, Oct 6, 2004
  9. meowmiez

    Jim Townsend Guest

    meowmiez wrote:

    > hello list
    >
    > in busy worksituations i want to simplify the process of getting
    > images from a digi-camera to my computer (mac os 10.3.5). as
    > downloading a batch of pictures can take up quite a lot of time.
    > ideally i'd have a wifi camera to save directly to the machine.
    > (bluetooth will be discontinued so i don't care about those.) as the
    > wifi ones are too expensive for now i am wondering if there are any
    > cameras that can save directly to the computer harddisk over usb? the
    > sony dsc p7 i fiddled with has only a usb or photo mode. no connection
    > can be established while taking pictures.
    >
    > does anyone know about models that allow a direct save to disk
    > routine? any hint or recommendation is highly appreciated

    Most non point and shoot Canon cameras have USB direct to disk capture
    capabilities. They also come with software that allows you to operate
    the camera remotely from a PC or Mac if you wish.

    The EOS and 'G' series are capable of this and I imagine someof the high end
    'S' series can do it as well...

    Jim Townsend, Oct 6, 2004
  10. meowmiez

    Big Bill Guest

    On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:03:39 GMT, Eric Gill <>
    wrote:

    > (meowmiez) wrote in
    >
    >>> Not at the (low-end consumer) level of the P7 you use as an example,
    >>> no.

    >> do you know about any cameras or the pricelevel, where the magic of
    >> direct download starts?

    >Currently and actually available?
    >
    >The only ones I'm aware of are digital backs for medium-format bodies. In
    >addition to the camera itself, the back will run, oh, $10K or so.
    >
    >The WiFi attachments are the only way below the super-pro level, and you
    >cannot actually buy one yet. When you can, the cheapest option so far
    >announced would be the Canon 20D, at about $1,500 for the body.

    My DR will download directly to the laptop when used with the Canon
    software.

    >>> If you're shooting at the image size of the P7, inexpensive 1GB cards
    >>> can hold *hundreds* of images apiece (something like 900). Two of
    >>> those and a fast card reader and you'll be set.

    >> thing is that each picture should be processed immediately after it
    >> was taken. the setup would be that one person is taking the pictures
    >> and a second is processing them at the "same" time. therefore a bigger
    >> card won't make me happy.

    >Good luck.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Oct 6, 2004
  11. meowmiez

    Eric Gill Guest

    Big Bill <> wrote in

    > My DR will download directly to the laptop when used with the Canon
    > software.

    While you're shooting?

    Eric Gill, Oct 6, 2004
  12. meowmiez

    Eric Gill Guest

    Eric Gill <> wrote in

    > Big Bill <> wrote in
    >
    >> My DR will download directly to the laptop when used with the Canon
    >> software.

    Well, to answer my own question:

    > While you're shooting?

    Yep. For example:

    http://www.breezesys.com/products.htm

    I was entirely mistaken about this.

    And similar stuff is available for less expensive consumer bodies, like:

    http://www.breezesys.com/products_older.htm

    Cool. This is the sort of thing I like being mistaken about. Now I've got
    new toys to order.

    Eric Gill, Oct 6, 2004
  13. Eric Gill <> writes:

    > (meowmiez) wrote in
    >
    > >> Not at the (low-end consumer) level of the P7 you use as an example,
    > >> no.

    > > do you know about any cameras or the pricelevel, where the magic of
    > > direct download starts?

    > Currently and actually available?
    >
    > The only ones I'm aware of are digital backs for medium-format bodies. In
    > addition to the camera itself, the back will run, oh, $10K or so.

    Most high end Olympus, Canon, Nikon and probably other prosumers and of course
    DSLRs have the ability to have the computer tell the camera to snap a picture
    and download it to the pc. If you are using Olympus cameras, look into:

    http://www.pinetreecomputing.com/camctl.asp

    > The WiFi attachments are the only way below the super-pro level, and you
    > cannot actually buy one yet. When you can, the cheapest option so far
    > announced would be the Canon 20D, at about $1,500 for the body.

    It depends on whether you count the D2H as super pro or not (it is a pro level
    camera, but perhaps not a super-pro whatever that means) You can buy the WT-1A
    when B&H opens up in a few days, so it is definately shipping:

    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=300673&is=REG

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email: