    very little light. How about the DigiRebel or others?

    Gary

    Just getting back in after multi-year hiatus
    Gary Stewart, Dec 26, 2003

  2. Gary Stewart

    Don Coon Guest

    "Gary Stewart" <> wrote in message
    news:p...
    > Are digital cameras as sensitive to light as film? For example, I have a
    > canon rebel X and I like it, if I put in 1000 speed film I can shoot with
    > very little light. How about the DigiRebel or others?
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > Just getting back in after multi-year hiatus

    1000 speed? That's slow : ) How about 1600 ISO! Read the review at
    www.dpreview.com

    I just took some ISO 1600 pictures of my grandson at f2.0 1/60th under
    normal incandescant lights with my 10D. Great!
    Don Coon, Dec 26, 2003

  3. Gary Stewart

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Gary Stewart wrote:

    > Are digital cameras as sensitive to light as film? For example, I have a
    > canon rebel X and I like it, if I put in 1000 speed film I can shoot with
    > very little light. How about the DigiRebel or others?

    The 10D goes from ISO 100 to ISO 3200.. 3200 gets pretty grainy, but 1600 is
    very useable.. Better than 1600 film.
    Jim Townsend, Dec 26, 2003
  4. Gary Stewart

    Gary Stewart Guest

    Re: Digi cam sensitivity/Thanks

    Thanks guys, that's all I needed to know. Tomorrow it's off to buy a
    camera.
    Gary Stewart, Dec 26, 2003
  5. Gary Stewart

    Mark B. Guest

    > Are digital cameras as sensitive to light as film? For example, I have a
    > canon rebel X and I like it, if I put in 1000 speed film I can shoot with
    > very little light. How about the DigiRebel or others?
    >
    > Gary
    >
    > Just getting back in after multi-year hiatus

    The 10D will go to ISO 3200. I haven't tried it yet, but good to know it's
    there if I need it in a pinch.

    Mark
    Mark B., Dec 26, 2003
  6. Gary Stewart

    Guest

    In message <>,
    Jim Townsend <> wrote:

    >Gary Stewart wrote:
    >
    >> Are digital cameras as sensitive to light as film? For example, I have a
    >> canon rebel X and I like it, if I put in 1000 speed film I can shoot with
    >> very little light. How about the DigiRebel or others?
    >>

    >The 10D goes from ISO 100 to ISO 3200.. 3200 gets pretty grainy, but 1600 is
    >very useable.. Better than 1600 film.

    Don't bother with 1600. It's just 800 underexposed by a stop, and the
    RAW data is doubled. You get a stop more highlights if you just use ISO
    800 and set the EC to -1 (or 1 less than what you usually set it to).
    "ISO 3200" is actually ISO 1600, underexposed by a stop, with the RAW
    data doubled.

    The only way to get true ISO 1600 is to shoot at 3200 with an EC of +1,
    which is only useful in low-contrast scenes, as it is missing a stop of
    highlights, then.
    --

    <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
    John P Sheehy <>
    , Dec 27, 2003
  7. The D100 and other Nikon DSLRs do up to ISO 6400. But of course the "digital
    grain" (noise) increases with higher ISO. I found that using appropriate
    noise reduction software you often can get acceptable images from those
    noisy shots.

    I heard that Cannon DSLRs only do ISP 1600 but in the 400..1600 range are
    less noisy than Nikons.

    -Michael
    Michael Schnell, Dec 27, 2003