Difficulty "toning" for ports on gig switch

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Gadget_jb, Aug 25, 2006.

  1. Gadget_jb

    Gadget_jb Guest

    My technicians have reported difficulty using any of several toner/wand
    sets trying to find ports on Cisco gig switches. It seems that the
    tone becomes inaudible, or shunts/dies after a few seconds. However,
    if they use the 'toner' function from one of the Fluke meters, they can
    hear it loud and clear, and find the port.

    I tried searching on cisco.com and google before asking, but was not
    able to turn up anything that described or resolved the issue.

    Some of the blades are VOIP-capable, although we're not using them for
    that at this point. Others aren't, but are gig-capable blades. Or
    could it have something to do with the power behind the tone being less
    coming from the 9V battery toner, instead of the Fluke meter?

    Has anyone run into this issue, or have a clue what might be causing
    it?

    Any insight, or guidance on where to look would certainly be
    appreciated.

    Gadget_jb, Aug 25, 2006

  2. Gadget_jb

    Phil Schuman Guest

    x-posted to the cabling newsgroup

    Phil Schuman, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Gadget_jb

    Carl Navarro Guest

    On Mon, 28 Aug 2006 21:55:50 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <> wrote:

    >x-posted to the cabling newsgroup
    >
    >"Gadget_jb" <> wrote in message
    >> My technicians have reported difficulty using any of several

    >toner/wand
    >> sets trying to find ports on Cisco gig switches. It seems that the
    >> tone becomes inaudible, or shunts/dies after a few seconds. However,
    >> if they use the 'toner' function from one of the Fluke meters, they

    >can
    >> hear it loud and clear, and find the port.
    >>
    >> I tried searching on cisco.com and google before asking, but was not
    >> able to turn up anything that described or resolved the issue.
    >>
    >> Some of the blades are VOIP-capable, although we're not using them for
    >> that at this point. Others aren't, but are gig-capable blades. Or
    >> could it have something to do with the power behind the tone being

    >less
    >> coming from the 9V battery toner, instead of the Fluke meter?
    >>
    >> Has anyone run into this issue, or have a clue what might be causing
    >> it?
    >>
    >> Any insight, or guidance on where to look would certainly be
    >> appreciated.

    You might want to investigate the Intelliprobe 200 from Fluke. It's a
    digital toner.

    Carl "got one on the (b)leading edge and hate it" Navarro

    Carl Navarro, Aug 29, 2006
  4. Gadget_jb

    Dmitri Guest

    In many switches the unused pairs 1 and 4 are actually grounded or, more
    accurately, bonded to the switch’s ground. That would kill signal from the
    toner pretty effectively. Better toners can let you choose which pair to
    send the signal through and it should be either 2 or 3. Those pairs are
    not connected to the ground and for the toner look like they’re a 100 Ohm
    resistor which they can drive OK (would be even better if they were up in
    the air, but that only happens for unplugged cords)

    Interesting enough, you've mentioned these are Gigabit, which has all four
    pairs separated from the ground. However, the #1 and the #4 can still be
    used for power and the internal resistivity of the power circuitry can be
    much less than that of a transceiver and can lower the toner's signal.

    --

    Best Regards,
    Dmitri Abaimov, RCDD

    --