    couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
    desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
    Any ideas anyone?
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=, Jan 18, 2006

  2. Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical drive?
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2006

  3. =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Just a trial, I would make the floppy second before the hard drive, put a
    blank floppy in the drive and see what happens. Do you have the latest BIOS
    for your Mobo

    John Barnes, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. I also disabled the hard drive
    in the boot section of BIOS, but it still managed to boot up my original O/S.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=, Jan 18, 2006
  5. I have checked that I do have the latest BIOS, but will try using a blank
    floppy. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=, Jan 18, 2006
  6. No joy with that option I'm afraid. Optical drive selected as !st boot,
    Floppy as 2nd, and third disabled, and still booting original O/S.

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=, Jan 18, 2006
  7. Try using a non-USB keyboard. I'm betting it's not seeing your "press any
    key". If you're seeing the CD prompt, then all of that is fine, the problem
    is it isn't seeing the keyboard press to let it know that you do, in fact,
    want to boot off the CD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I was thinking of that, but he can use the keyboard to get into the BIOS to
    change the order and the system is booting to the drive which isn't even in
    the boot
    order and is bypassing the second floppy. If it did not recognise the key
    it should go to the floppy and have the non standard disk comment.

    John Barnes, Jan 18, 2006
  9. Same thought here.

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 18, 2006
  10. Thanks, Charlie Russell, I will borrow a non-USB keyboard tomorrow and try
    again then. By the way, was it just inspired guesswork that I was using a USB
    keyboard, or is my problem one that only usually occurs when using one?

    =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=, Jan 18, 2006
  11. =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

    Geoffrey Guest

    malcolm-g wrote:
    > I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an ASsrock
    > K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled processor and to
    > get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to XP Pro x64.
    > When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am prompted to
    > press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at least a
    > couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not have the
    > desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
    > Any ideas anyone?

    I have a MS wirelees keyboard and mouse, this will not work to boot from
    CD, I use my old keyboard and mouse and it will boot to a CD, i had to
    do this to install both XP and XP64.
    Geoffrey, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Troubleshooting 101. What were the factors involved.
    1.) Keyboard works in BIOS
    2.) CD is seen (thus, not a bad burn)
    3.) POST - BIOS, keyboard input NOT being seen. Yet.
    4.) The only known cause of those three is USB keyboard.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  13. Ah, but it's NOT the same as in the BIOS. Several BIOS versions I've seen
    have keyboard working in them no matter where it comes from, but once the
    BIOS releases, it may, or may not, enable "legacy mode emulation" for USB
    keyboards. The fact is that if it sees the CD, and won't let you get into
    it, it MUST be the keyboard. And a PS/2 keyboard doesn't behave that way.
    Ipso facto, must be a USB keyboard. Now, when it fails later, it will be
    something else entirely. :)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  14. If it sees the CD as bootable, it WILL boot to it, if told to. Therefore, it
    wasn't being told to. If the problem were elsewhere (floppy, no HD seen,
    etc.) then the failure would be after it went into the CD boot process. But
    it was bypassing the CD, because it isn't seeing the keyboard press.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  15. BTW, there _may_ be a setting in your BIOS to "enable legacy emulation" or
    something similar for USB keyboards. It often has three choices. Yes, No,
    Auto. Force it to Yes and try again.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You have far more experience than I, but it should follow the BIOS chain,
    and if it doesn't see the keystroke, it should go to the blank floppy and
    fail.
    You are saying that not seeing a USB keystroke is different than not seeing
    a PS2 keystroke.

    John Barnes, Jan 19, 2006
  17. I do think you are right, Charlie. I have not checked, but I believe that my
    BIOS is referring to HID, and not USB, though!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 19, 2006
  18. Hello Malcom,
    The fact that the cd is first in the boot order means the floppy will never
    be hit as long as the cd is in the drive.
    If we find a bootable CD as the first option and present the message to
    boot from cd, we are booting from the cd drive, that boot code then passes
    control to the Hard drive.
    It does not pass back to the bios to the next boot device. The bios is not
    longer being used.
    You need to remove the CD from the drive to see what the behavior is with a
    non-boot-able floppy or with the hard drive not in the boot oder.
    The boot code on the CD, is waiting for keyboard input, and not getting
    that it passes control to the boot code on the hard drive.

    This could be the boot code on the CD, but more than likely this is the
    input device not being seen properly.

    Thanks,
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

    --------------------
    <From: =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?= <>
    <Subject: Re: difficulty installing x64
    <Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:42:02 -0800
    <Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
    <
    <"malcolm-g" wrote:
    <
    <> I have checked that I do have the latest BIOS, but will try using a
    blank
    <> floppy. I'll let you know if it works. Thanks
    <>
    <> "John Barnes" wrote:
    <>
    <> > Just a trial, I would make the floppy second before the hard drive,
    put a
    <> > blank floppy in the drive and see what happens. Do you have the
    latest BIOS
    <> > for your Mobo
    <> >
    <> > "Andre Da Costa" <> wrote in message
    <> > news:...
    <> > > Have you tried setting your boot device in the BIOS to the optical
    drive?
    <> > > --
    <> > > --
    <> > > Andre
    <> > > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    <> > > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
    <> > > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
    <> > > FAQ for MS AntiSpy
    <> > > "malcolm-g" <> wrote in message
    <> > > news:...
    <> > >>I have just upgraded my Mobo and processor and am now using an
    ASsrock
    <> > >> K8NF4G-SATA2 mobo with an AMD Sempron 3000+ 64 bit enabled
    processor and
    <> > >> get the best out of this arrangement decided to upgrade my O/S to
    XP Pro
    <> > >> x64.
    <> > >> When I try to boot the system with the CD in the drive I am
    prompted to
    <> > >> press any key to boot from CD. Unfortunately I have tried this at
    least a
    <> > >> couple of dozen times and pressing a key on my keyboard does not
    have the
    <> > >> desired effect and my PC just boots as normal to my current O/S.
    <> > >> Any ideas anyone?
    <> > >
    <> > >
    <> >
    <> >
    <> >
    <
    Darrell Gorter[MSFT], Jan 19, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?bWFsY29sbS1n?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Darrell's explanation clears up why it doesn't pass to the floppy, and your
    two suggestions should produce the solution.

    John Barnes, Jan 19, 2006
  20. Yup. I didn't know exactly _why_ it was that way - but I did know that if it
    sees the CD, it then goes to the HD if no key is pressed.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 19, 2006