    [1] Bush WS6678SIL
    [2] Alba DVD45
    , Mar 26, 2006

  2. wrote in news:1143400816.078750.256790
    @v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

    > I have a wide screen TV[1] and a DVD player[2] and a VHS player(SCART).
    > When I play tapes, or view live TV the TV offers seven aspect ratios
    > settings (auto, 4:3, 14:9, zoom 14:9, zoom 16:9, full screen,
    > panorama). When I play a DVD or just view the DVD screen-saver output
    > the only settings offered are auto, zoom 14:9, zoom 16:9 and full
    > screen.

    The terminology in TV settings isn't always exact, but I'd always reccomend
    avoiding anything with "zoom" in it, because you'll lose information at the
    top and bottom. The discs you are trying to play are 4:3, so by choosing
    the "auto" mode, you'll probably get a 4:3 image
    with side bars. This is the best option.

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.dvdverdict.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, Mar 27, 2006

  3. On 26 Mar 2006 11:20:16 -0800, wrote:

    >I have a wide screen TV[1] and a DVD player[2] and a VHS player(SCART).
    >When I play tapes, or view live TV the TV offers seven aspect ratios
    >settings (auto, 4:3, 14:9, zoom 14:9, zoom 16:9, full screen,
    >panorama). When I play a DVD or just view the DVD screen-saver output
    >the only settings offered are auto, zoom 14:9, zoom 16:9 and full
    >screen.
    >
    >This means that some DVDs (such as the X-files DVD season 3 box set)
    >loose a lot off the top and bottom when played in the only aspect ratio
    >that shows a correct picture (zoom 16:9)
    >
    >Can anything be done and is the problem with the DVD player, the TV or
    >both? Advice please, TIA.
    >
    >[1] Bush WS6678SIL
    >[2] Alba DVD45

    Perhaps go into the video setup in the DVD player and set it to a 16x9
    TV. Then set the TV to auto.

    For 4x3 DVDs, hopefully the TV will display the picture in 4x3
    pillarbox, which is best IMHO. Widescreen 16x9 (1.78:1) DVDs should
    fill the screen; 2.35:1 widescreen DVDs should display in letterbox.

    I've seen a couple DVDs that have a widescreen letterbox picture in a
    4x3 display (in other words, not anamorphic). You may have to use a
    zoom mode to fill the screen for those.

    Gary E
    --
    |Gary A. Edelstein
    | (remove NO SPAM and .invalid to reply)
    |"We have met the enemy and he is us." - Walt Kelly's Pogo
    Gary A. Edelstein, Mar 27, 2006