    be a mothrboard issue, hard drive issue or could it be a power supply issue?

    Many thanks in advance,

    Kevin
    Kevin Haas, May 11, 2005

  2. Kevin Haas

    Robert Baer Guest

    Kevin Haas wrote:

    > I have a Gateway (4 years old) with specs as follows:
    > AMD Athlon 1100
    > 128 mb RAM (pc133)
    > 40gb HD
    > WinME
    >
    > The PC just freezes up at random. I formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS
    > and drivers, however, it still freezes up. I have removed each card (Sound
    > card, modem) and even tried another video card, but it still freezes up.
    > Also, I used Memtest-86 (boot with floppy) and it freeze up on the memory
    > test sometimes as well. When it did not freeze up, the memory passed.
    > I also tried putting the memory stick into another memory bank, but that did
    > not help. Also, I reseated the CPU. I'm thinking at this point this has to
    > be a mothrboard issue, hard drive issue or could it be a power supply issue?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Kevin

    First try a *different* memory stick to see if the problem can be
    reproduced.
    Robert Baer, May 11, 2005

  3. Kevin Haas

    WebWalker Guest

    What is the temperature for CPU?

    --
    WebWalker
    WebWalker, May 11, 2005
  4. Kevin Haas

    Kevin Haas Guest

    Thanks,

    I did try a different memory stick but it did not help. The CPU temp is
    normal (around 88-90 degrees)

    Kevin Haas, May 11, 2005
  5. Kevin Haas

    Mark Mandell Guest

    "Kevin Haas" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway (4 years old) with specs as follows:
    > AMD Athlon 1100
    > 128 mb RAM (pc133)
    > 40gb HD
    > WinME
    >
    > The PC just freezes up at random. I formatted the HD and reinstalled the
    > OS and drivers, however, it still freezes up. I have removed each card
    > (Sound card, modem) and even tried another video card, but it still
    > freezes up.
    > Also, I used Memtest-86 (boot with floppy) and it freeze up on the memory
    > test sometimes as well. When it did not freeze up, the memory passed.
    > I also tried putting the memory stick into another memory bank, but that
    > did not help. Also, I reseated the CPU. I'm thinking at this point this
    > has to be a mothrboard issue, hard drive issue or could it be a power
    > supply issue?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Kevin

    Check in the Device Manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation or
    question marks next to any devices which would then point to driver issues
    or IRQ conflicts.

    Mark Mandell, May 11, 2005
  6. Kevin Haas

    Kevin Haas Guest

    Yes, I checked that and all look fine. I did check the power supply with a
    volt meter. While the PC is on, the voltage changes every few seconds from
    11.90 - 12.21 on the yellow wire. Could this cause the freeze up?

    Kevin Haas, May 11, 2005
  7. Kevin Haas

    Robert Baer Guest

    Kevin Haas wrote:
    > Yes, I checked that and all look fine. I did check the power supply with a
    > volt meter. While the PC is on, the voltage changes every few seconds from
    > 11.90 - 12.21 on the yellow wire. Could this cause the freeze up?
    > "Kevin Haas" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>I have a Gateway (4 years old) with specs as follows:
    >>AMD Athlon 1100
    >>128 mb RAM (pc133)
    >>40gb HD
    >>WinME
    >>
    >>The PC just freezes up at random. I formatted the HD and reinstalled the
    >>OS and drivers, however, it still freezes up. I have removed each card
    >>(Sound card, modem) and even tried another video card, but it still
    >>freezes up.
    >>Also, I used Memtest-86 (boot with floppy) and it freeze up on the memory
    >>test sometimes as well. When it did not freeze up, the memory passed.
    >>I also tried putting the memory stick into another memory bank, but that
    >>did not help. Also, I reseated the CPU. I'm thinking at this point this
    >>has to be a mothrboard issue, hard drive issue or could it be a power
    >>supply issue?
    >>
    >>Many thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>Kevin

    That might be an indication of a noisy power supply; i understand
    that a noisy supply can cause all kinds of havoc.
    It would not hurt to swap the PS with another.
    Robert Baer, May 12, 2005
  8. Kevin Haas

    Kevin Haas Guest

    OK, I tried a diiferent power supply, but it did not help. I guess that only
    leaves the MB or processor.

    Kevin Haas, May 12, 2005
  9. Kevin Haas

    Wizard Guest

    Sounds like a CPU heat issue to me.

    Wizard, May 12, 2005
  10. Kevin Haas

    haphzrd Guest

    Wizard <> wrote:
    > Sounds like a CPU heat issue to me.

    I agree. Some CPU's have a failsafe which will allow them to shut themselves
    off if their temperature becomes too hot, to prevent damage. Make absolutely
    sure you seated the CPU and heatsink properly. Also check the connection
    from the CPU fan to the motherboard (is the fan working?). Monitor the
    temperatures from the BIOS.

    My second guess would be bad RAM. Change it and see what happens.

    --
    : :: : haphzrd : :: :
    haphzrd, May 12, 2005
  11. Kevin Haas

    Kevin Haas Guest

    OK, the CPU fan is working and I have switched RAM (made no difference).
    I have noticed one odd thing. Many times when I push the power switch, I
    hear the fans start up, but I get nothing on the monitor (no video output).
    If I unplug the PC and turn it back on (sometimes takes doing this a few
    times) I finally get a signal to the monitor.

    Kevin Haas, May 12, 2005
  12. Kevin Haas

    haphzrd Guest

    Kevin Haas <> wrote:
    > OK, the CPU fan is working and I have switched RAM (made no difference).
    > I have noticed one odd thing. Many times when I push the power switch, I
    > hear the fans start up, but I get nothing on the monitor (no video output).
    > If I unplug the PC and turn it back on (sometimes takes doing this a few
    > times) I finally get a signal to the monitor.

    Are you absolutely sure your heatsink and fan are mounted properly, and
    the retention levers are in the correct position?

    What are the temperatures for your CPU and board?

    --
    : :: : haphzrd : :: :
    haphzrd, May 13, 2005
  13. Kevin Haas

    Kevin Haas Guest

    Yes, I have double checked the heatsink. The CPU temp is around 57C. I'm not
    sure about the board temp.

    Thanks

    Kevin Haas, May 13, 2005
  14. Kevin Haas

    Kevin Haas Guest

    Update:
    I do see a capacitor that is swollen on top and leaking some brown stuff.

    Kevin Haas, May 13, 2005
  15. Kevin Haas

    me Guest

    "Kevin Haas" <> wrote in message
    >I have a Gateway (4 years old) with specs as follows:
    > AMD Athlon 1100
    > 128 mb RAM (pc133)
    > 40gb HD
    > WinME
    >
    > The PC just freezes up at random. I formatted the HD and reinstalled the
    > OS and drivers, however, it still freezes up. I have removed each card
    > (Sound card, modem) and even tried another video card, but it still
    > freezes up.
    > Also, I used Memtest-86 (boot with floppy) and it freeze up on the memory
    > test sometimes as well. When it did not freeze up, the memory passed.
    > I also tried putting the memory stick into another memory bank, but that
    > did not help. Also, I reseated the CPU. I'm thinking at this point this
    > has to be a mothrboard issue, hard drive issue or could it be a power
    > supply issue?
    >
    > Many thanks in advance,
    >
    > Kevin

    I had exectly the same problem recently,i thought it was a RAM issue,and the
    PC would freeze during the memory test.I did manage to test it,and it came
    out ok.
    I found that the freezes occurred when the CPU was running at 100% under
    load,in such programs as DVD Shrink,when a lot of CPU power is needed.
    The temp didnt seem to go above 57c though.
    I also had the no-picture-on-screen problem when turning it on,and turning
    off and on again would do the trick.
    To me that stank of a CPU problem,so I decided to change the CPU for a new
    one and it has been ok ever since.(touch wood)
    If you can get a known good CPU to try in there,maybe give it a try,see if
    you can rule out the CPU
    me, May 13, 2005
  16. Kevin Haas

    bambam Guest

    "Kevin Haas" <> wrote in news:ayUge.5496$i03.4292
    @fe06.lga:

    > Update:
    > I do see a capacitor that is swollen on top and leaking some brown stuff.

    Have a look here-

    http://www.badcaps.net/
    bambam, May 13, 2005