    me that he does not have the 2950 XL in stock but does have the 2950's
    in stock. What is the difference between these 2 switches?

    Tacobell

    Tacobell, Mar 13, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Tacobell <> wrote:

    >I've been asked to purchase 4 Cisco 24 port switches. The vendor tells
    >me that he does not have the 2950 XL in stock but does have the 2950's
    >in stock. What is the difference between these 2 switches?

    Huge. The 2950XL is a completely different generation from
    around the time of IOS 11.2 . You *really* don't want the 2950XL
    these days -- not sold, not supported, much slower than the new
    series.

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products...ommand_reference_chapter09186a00800d85e5.html

    Cisco reused similar model numbers for a quite different series
    that includes:

    WS-C2950-12
    WS-C2950-24
    WS-C2950C-24
    WS-C2950G-12-EI (end of sale)
    WS-C2950G-24-EI (end of sale)
    WS-C2950G-24-EI-DC (still sold)
    WS-C2950G-48-EI (end of sale)
    WS-C2950ST-24-LRE
    WS-C2950ST-8-LRE
    WS-C2950SX-24
    WS-C2950SX-48-SI
    WS-C2950T-24 (end of sale)
    WS-C2950T-48-SI

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/index.html

    You may wish to consider the 2960 or 3560 series, such as
    the WS-C3560-24PS, WS_C3560-24TS, WS-C2960-24TC-L, or WS-C2960-24TT-L

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/prod_eol_notice0900aecd804658c9.html

    Walter Roberson, Mar 13, 2007

  3. "Tacobell" <> writes:
    >I've been asked to purchase 4 Cisco 24 port switches. The vendor tells
    >me that he does not have the 2950 XL in stock but does have the 2950's
    >in stock. What is the difference between these 2 switches?

    What's a 2950XL? Never seen one.

    Cisco had some long EOL'd switches, the 2924XL switch line ages ago
    that was pretty popular, but long outdated.

    The 2950 is quite a bit newer, and still supported.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 13, 2007
  4. In article <45f62bdb$0$27564$>,
    Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    >What's a 2950XL? Never seen one.

    If you search cisco.com you will find references to the
    Catalyst 2950XL series, and to the 3550XL series.
    They appear to have existed about the same time as the
    Catalyst 2800 series such as the 2820, 2822, and 2828 (which
    went EOS April 30 1999). (First time I've ever heard of those...)

    Walter Roberson, Mar 13, 2007
  5. (Walter Roberson) writes:
    >In article <45f62bdb$0$27564$>,
    >Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    >>What's a 2950XL? Never seen one.

    >If you search cisco.com you will find references to the
    >Catalyst 2950XL series, and to the 3550XL series.
    >They appear to have existed about the same time as the
    >Catalyst 2800 series such as the 2820, 2822, and 2828 (which
    >went EOS April 30 1999). (First time I've ever heard of those...)

    Most likely they are typos. Even cisco people make mistakes about
    their own product lines, given enough models out there.

    The 2924XL and 3524XL were such popular products for their time,
    people probably started mixing up lots of different products with these.

    Doug McIntyre, Mar 13, 2007
  6. Tacobell

    kika Guest

    "Doug McIntyre" <> wrote in message
    > (Walter Roberson) writes:
    >>In article <45f62bdb$0$27564$>,
    >>Doug McIntyre <> wrote:

    >>>What's a 2950XL? Never seen one.

    >>If you search cisco.com you will find references to the
    >>Catalyst 2950XL series, and to the 3550XL series.
    >>They appear to have existed about the same time as the
    >>Catalyst 2800 series such as the 2820, 2822, and 2828 (which
    >>went EOS April 30 1999). (First time I've ever heard of those...)

    > Most likely they are typos. Even cisco people make mistakes about
    > their own product lines, given enough models out there.

    I agree. I did a search a while back for 3550XL. A found a couple
    of refrences on cisco.com but I came to the conclusion that they
    were typos. What they realy meant is 3500XL.

    kika, Mar 13, 2007