Differentiating traffic on routers

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jenifer, Oct 14, 2008.

  1. Jenifer

    Jenifer Guest

    My company has layer 2 communication equipment (i.e. it acts as L2
    switch).
    The equipment is manageable and includes L3 hosts.
    As a forwarding device, the equipment is transparent to layer 3 and/or
    VLAN .
    I have a customer who wishes to differentiate the L3 traffic in our
    equipment and the L3 traffic from the original traffic.
    The customer wishes to use different subnets for his original traffic,
    and another for our equipment (see sketch).
    The IP address allocation of the hosts is dynamic, but the subnet is
    controlled in the DHCP server.
    I understand that the best way to do this is by using VLAN, but we do
    not support it at this stage (it is planned for next phase of the
    equipment).
    Is it possible to do this without VLAN?
    If yes, what type of router will support it (interfaces are all
    100/1000 Mbps Ethernet)?
    How can I find it in Cisco documentation?

    host 1 - original -----------------
    IP 10.10.10.x |
    subnet: 255.255.255.0 |
    L2 Switch --
    | |
    host 2 - our equip.-----------------| |
    IP 20.20.20.y |
    subnet: 255.255.255.0 |
    host 3 - original ----------------- |
    IP 10.10.11.z | |
    subnet: 255.255.255.0 | |
    L2 Switch --

    host 2 - our equip.----------------|
    IP 20.20.21.w
    subnet: 255.255.255.0

    Jenifer, Oct 14, 2008

  2. Jenifer

    Trendkill Guest

    On Oct 14, 4:02 am, Jenifer <> wrote:
    > My company has layer 2 communication equipment (i.e. it acts as L2
    > switch).
    > The equipment is manageable and includes L3 hosts.
    > As a forwarding device, the equipment is transparent to layer 3 and/or
    > VLAN .
    > I have a customer who wishes to differentiate the L3 traffic in our
    > equipment and the L3 traffic from the original traffic.
    > The customer wishes to use different subnets for his original traffic,
    > and another for our equipment (see sketch).
    > The IP address allocation of the hosts is dynamic, but the subnet is
    > controlled in the DHCP server.
    > I understand that the best way to do this is by using VLAN, but we do
    > not support it at this stage (it is planned for next phase of the
    > equipment).
    > Is it possible to do this without VLAN?
    > If yes, what type of router will support it (interfaces are all
    > 100/1000 Mbps Ethernet)?
    > How can I find it in Cisco documentation?
    >
    > host 1 - original   -----------------
    > IP 10.10.10.x                       |
    > subnet: 255.255.255.0          |
    >                                    L2 Switch --
    >                                            |        |
    > host 2 - our equip.-----------------|        |
    > IP 20.20.20.y                                |
    > subnet: 255.255.255.0                   |
    > host 3 - original   -----------------         |
    > IP 10.10.11.z                       |        |
    > subnet: 255.255.255.0          |        |
    >                                    L2 Switch --
    > host 2 - our equip.----------------|
    > IP 20.20.21.w
    > subnet: 255.255.255.0

    You definitely cannot do this without layer 3 differentiation, which
    would require secondary addresses on the router (within a single
    vlan), or vlans, neither of which you can provide based on your
    overview of your equipment. You'll have to wait till your upgrade
    unless I'm missing something.

    Trendkill, Oct 15, 2008