    Hi All

    I am doing a ping from Router A to Router B and getting a response of 20 ms. But, when i do the ping from Router B to Router A, i am getting a response time of 30 ms. Ideally, as per my understanding, ping response response times should be same both ways, as the round trip time is taken. Also, the path taken by echo packets will be the one chosen by IGP. Please clarify as to why the response times could be different.

    Thanks
    sandhyashyamsundar, Jul 3, 2009

  2. sandhyashyamsundar

    L8ians

    Joined:
    Jul 7, 2009
    Messages:
    8
    Ping times and losses can vary greatly depending on the speed and
    quality of your Internet connection, congestion on the Internet, and the load being handled by the PC.

    simple method to calculate the response time:
    Response Time = Transmission Time + Delays + Client Processing Time + Server Processing Time.
    L8ians, Jul 7, 2009