    There are so many different DVD formats (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    Can someone explain the differences?

    Michael

    Michael, Nov 16, 2003

  2. Michael

    JWB Guest

    "Mary" <> wrote in message
    news:%0Etb.5389$...
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > There are so many different DVD formats

    > (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    > > Can someone explain the differences?
    > >
    > > Michael

    > I would love to know the same thing, particularly what is the difference
    > between DVD+R and DVD+RW.

    I don't know what the + stands for (except that I use minus, because my dvd
    burner is a - ), but...

    R = recordable (record once)
    RW = rewriteable

    JWB, Nov 16, 2003

  3. Michael

    Mary Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > There are so many different DVD formats

    (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    > Can someone explain the differences?
    >
    > Michael

    I would love to know the same thing, particularly what is the difference
    between DVD+R and DVD+RW.

    Mary

    Mary, Nov 16, 2003
  4. Michael

    Mary Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > There are so many different DVD formats

    (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    > Can someone explain the differences?
    >
    > Michael

    I was wondering the same thing myself, so I did a google search I found two
    URL's which
    seemed to explain things quite well.

    http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

    HTH.

    Mary

    Mary, Nov 16, 2003
  5. Michael

    Jay G Guest

    "Mary" <> wrote ...
    > "Michael" <> wrote...
    > > There are so many different DVD formats

    > (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    > > Can someone explain the differences?

    > I was wondering the same thing myself, so I did a google search I found

    two
    > URL's which
    > seemed to explain things quite well.
    >
    > http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118
    >
    > http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

    Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    340,000 pages containing these words load up. No waiting around
    for someone to type up a reply. You'd think with such usability,
    these search engine thingies would rise in popularity, and people
    would, you know, actually *use* them when they want to find
    information.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Nov 16, 2003
  6. in article , Jay G at wrote on
    11/15/03 10:56 PM:

    > "Mary" <> wrote ...
    >> "Michael" <> wrote...
    >>> There are so many different DVD formats

    >> (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    >>> Can someone explain the differences?

    >> I was wondering the same thing myself, so I did a google search I found

    > two
    >> URL's which
    >> seemed to explain things quite well.
    >>
    >> http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118
    >>
    >> http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

    > Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    > like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    > 340,000 pages containing these words load up. No waiting around
    > for someone to type up a reply. You'd think with such usability,
    > these search engine thingies would rise in popularity, and people
    > would, you know, actually *use* them when they want to find
    > information.
    >
    > -Jay

    Amazing thing this Usenet thing is, isn't it. You can ask a simple question
    about say, "different DVD formats" and get a simple reply from someone
    knowledgeable that points you to one page so you don't have to wade through
    340,000 pages which are mostly "Copy DVDs to CDs using our DIVX software!"

    Of course for every valuable response there's always a jerk or two.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 16, 2003
  7. Michael

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <rpDtb.2871$n23.879@okepread02> in alt.video.dvd, Michael
    <> wrote:
    >There are so many different DVD formats (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    >Can someone explain the differences?

    The FAQ is your friend. Not only does it answer this question (look
    for [4.3]), it answers lots of other questions you didn't know you
    had!

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Nov 16, 2003
  8. Michael

    Stan Brown Guest

    In article <BBDC6555.278A2%> in alt.video.dvd,
    MR_ED_of_Course <> wrote:
    >in article , Jay G at wrote on
    >11/15/03 10:56 PM:
    >> Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    >> like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    >> 340,000 pages containing these words load up. No waiting around
    >> for someone to type up a reply. You'd think with such usability,
    >> these search engine thingies would rise in popularity, and people
    >> would, you know, actually *use* them when they want to find
    >> information.

    >Amazing thing this Usenet thing is, isn't it. You can ask a simple question
    >about say, "different DVD formats" and get a simple reply from someone
    >knowledgeable that points you to one page so you don't have to wade through
    >340,000 pages which are mostly "Copy DVDs to CDs using our DIVX software!"

    And yet I see that, unlike me, you did not actually provide a
    "simple reply" that "points you to one page".

    >Of course for every valuable response there's always a jerk or two.

    In this newsgroup, hundreds.

    While it can sometimes be a problem weeding through Google results,
    your point is invalid in this case because there is a FAQ for this
    newsgroup.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com

    Stan Brown, Nov 16, 2003
  9. MR_ED_of_Course wrote:

    > in article , Jay G at wrote on
    > 11/15/03 10:56 PM:
    >

    >>"Mary" <> wrote ...
    >>
    >>>"Michael" <> wrote...

    >>>(DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).

    >>>I was wondering the same thing myself, so I did a google search I found

    >>two
    >>
    >>>URL's which
    >>>seemed to explain things quite well.
    >>>
    >>>http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=118
    >>>
    >>>http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd

    >>Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    >>like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    >>340,000 pages containing these words load up. No waiting around
    >>for someone to type up a reply. You'd think with such usability,
    >>these search engine thingies would rise in popularity, and people
    >>would, you know, actually *use* them when they want to find
    >>information.
    >>
    >>-Jay

    > Amazing thing this Usenet thing is, isn't it. You can ask a simple question
    > about say, "different DVD formats" and get a simple reply from someone
    > knowledgeable that points you to one page so you don't have to wade through
    > 340,000 pages which are mostly "Copy DVDs to CDs using our DIVX software!"
    >
    > Of course for every valuable response there's always a jerk or two.

    I guess it all depends on how fast you want the answer to your question
    and if you know how to type an effective query. For example I typed in:
    "DVD formats" DVD-R DVD+R DVD+RW DVD-RW +differences into google and
    the, "Search took 0.25 seconds" and every one of the first fifty results
    had the answer. Whereas the orginal poster opted to wait almost and
    hour until the first good response. By the topic/time of the post, I
    presume the original poster wasn't in a rush, but if I was in their
    shoes I'd still want to know the answer right away.

    Adios,
    ~Nick

    Nicholas Andrade, Nov 16, 2003
  10. in article , Stan Brown at
    wrote on 11/16/03 12:35 AM:

    > In article <BBDC6555.278A2%> in alt.video.dvd,
    > MR_ED_of_Course <> wrote:
    >> in article , Jay G at wrote on
    >> 11/15/03 10:56 PM:
    >>> Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    >>> like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    >>> 340,000 pages containing these words load up. No waiting around
    >>> for someone to type up a reply. You'd think with such usability,
    >>> these search engine thingies would rise in popularity, and people
    >>> would, you know, actually *use* them when they want to find
    >>> information.

    >> Amazing thing this Usenet thing is, isn't it. You can ask a simple question
    >> about say, "different DVD formats" and get a simple reply from someone
    >> knowledgeable that points you to one page so you don't have to wade through
    >> 340,000 pages which are mostly "Copy DVDs to CDs using our DIVX software!"

    > And yet I see that, unlike me, you did not actually provide a
    > "simple reply" that "points you to one page".

    I was simply going to post a link to http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvd, but since
    it was already provided *before* Jay's posting and quoted in Jay's posting,
    what would be the point?

    >> Of course for every valuable response there's always a jerk or two.

    > In this newsgroup, hundreds.
    >
    > While it can sometimes be a problem weeding through Google results,
    > your point is invalid in this case because there is a FAQ for this
    > newsgroup.

    Great, and if some newbie comes here we can respectfully point them in the
    right direction. There's no need to be a sarcastic jerk about it. My point
    is valid because I was criticizing Jay for being a jerk in the way he
    sarcastically pointed the person to Google as opposed to a FAQ.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 16, 2003
  11. Michael

    Mark W Guest

    > >> Of course for every valuable response there's always a jerk or two.

    > > In this newsgroup, hundreds.
    > >
    > > While it can sometimes be a problem weeding through Google results,
    > > your point is invalid in this case because there is a FAQ for this
    > > newsgroup.

    > Great, and if some newbie comes here we can respectfully point them in the
    > right direction. There's no need to be a sarcastic jerk about it. My

    point
    > is valid because I was criticizing Jay for being a jerk in the way he
    > sarcastically pointed the person to Google as opposed to a FAQ.

    It's about this point that someone usually says, DON'T TOP-POST AND DON'T
    POST IN HTML. AND DON'T POST BINARIES.
    Oh yes, and don't post in capitals!!!

    Mark W, Nov 16, 2003
  12. Michael

    Richard C. Guest

    :
    : There are so many different DVD formats (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    : Can someone explain the differences?
    :
    : Michael
    :
    ===================
    There is only ONE DVD format.
    Those others you list are all different formats.
    DVD-R is the most compatible with stand-alone players.
    =====================

    Richard C., Nov 16, 2003
  13. in article 3fb7c7af$0$75687$, Richard C. at
    wrote on 11/16/03 10:53 AM:

    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > : Hi,
    > :
    > : There are so many different DVD formats (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    > : Can someone explain the differences?
    > :
    > : Michael
    > :
    > ===================
    > There is only ONE DVD format.

    Bullshit. There is no single disk format which is a DVD format. The DVD
    Format is broken down into DVD-ROM, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, DVD-R, DVD-RAM,
    DVD-RW and others. The DVD Forum uses the term "DVD Format" to represent
    all the books that make up their licensed formats.

    > Those others you list are all different formats.

    No, only DVD+R and DVD+RW were not developed or approved by the DVD Forum.

    > DVD-R is the most compatible with stand-alone players.

    True.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 16, 2003
  14. Michael

    unclejr Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote...
    > Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    > like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    > 340,000 pages containing these words load up.

    But you didn't type in the phrase, "classical music stringed
    instrument" (or something similar), did you?

    Why you would be getting 340,000 hits about the viola on "different
    DVD formats" is beyond me.

    -Junior

    unclejr, Nov 16, 2003
  15. Michael

    buck Guest

    In article <%0Etb.5389$>, says...
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > There are so many different DVD formats

    > (DVD-R,DVD-RW,DVD+R,DVD+RW,DVD-RAM).
    > > Can someone explain the differences?
    > >
    > > Michael

    > I would love to know the same thing, particularly what is the difference
    > between DVD+R and DVD+RW.
    >
    > Mary

    The difference :

    DvD+R = write ONCE
    DvD+RW = RE-Writable
    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

    buck, Nov 16, 2003
  16. Michael

    Jay G Guest

    "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote

    > I guess it all depends on how fast you want the answer to your question
    > and if you know how to type an effective query. For example I typed in:
    > "DVD formats" DVD-R DVD+R DVD+RW DVD-RW +differences into google and
    > the, "Search took 0.25 seconds" and every one of the first fifty results
    > had the answer. Whereas the orginal poster opted to wait almost and
    > hour until the first good response.

    Not only that, but the first useful post was made by someone who
    didn't know the answer either, originally. It took her 13 minutes to
    find, read, and post a helpful link for the answer.

    For the record, had Mary not posted a helpful link already, I
    would've done so myself, and *then* I would've sarcastically
    chided the original poster for not doing a search first. I've
    been helpful in the past, providing links or even writing multiple
    paragraph answers. Sometimes, however, the answers are so
    *extremely* easy to find using faster and easier means than
    Usenet, you wonder if the person did *anything* other
    than post the question here and expect someone else to do
    the work for them.

    -Jay

    Jay G, Nov 17, 2003
  17. Michael

    Jay G Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote ...
    > "Jay G" <> wrote...
    > > Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    > > like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    > > 340,000 pages containing these words load up.

    > But you didn't type in the phrase, "classical music stringed
    > instrument" (or something similar), did you?
    >
    > Why you would be getting 340,000 hits about the viola on "different
    > DVD formats" is beyond me.

    Me spell bad, meant "voila."

    Interestingly enough, there's actually a search engine called "voila":
    http://www.voila.com

    -Jay

    Jay G, Nov 17, 2003
  18. Michael

    Richard C. Guest

    "unclejr" <> wrote in message
    : "Jay G" <> wrote...
    : > Amazing things search engines are, aren't they? You type a phrase
    : > like "different DVD formats" into a box, press into, and viola,
    : > 340,000 pages containing these words load up.
    :
    : But you didn't type in the phrase, "classical music stringed
    : instrument" (or something similar), did you?
    :
    : Why you would be getting 340,000 hits about the viola on "different
    : DVD formats" is beyond me.
    :
    : -Junior

    =================
    At least he did not say "walla".

    Richard C., Nov 17, 2003
  19. Michael

    unclejr Guest

    "Richard C." <> wrote...
    > At least he did not say "walla".

    LOL!

    -Junior

    unclejr, Nov 17, 2003
  20. Michael

    Mary Guest

    "Jay G" <> wrote in message

    > "Nicholas Andrade" <> wrote
    > > >

    > > I guess it all depends on how fast you want the answer to your question
    > > and if you know how to type an effective query. For example I typed in:
    > > "DVD formats" DVD-R DVD+R DVD+RW DVD-RW +differences into google and
    > > the, "Search took 0.25 seconds" and every one of the first fifty results
    > > had the answer. Whereas the orginal poster opted to wait almost and
    > > hour until the first good response.

    > Not only that, but the first useful post was made by someone who
    > didn't know the answer either, originally. It took her 13 minutes to
    > find, read, and post a helpful link for the answer.

    Do you mean me?
    How do you know the amount of time it took for me to find, read and post a
    link? Can you see through to my computer to see when I log on and where I
    go? hehe.

    Mary

    Mary, Nov 17, 2003