    Sandy
    MCP
    Network +

    Sandythegeek2, Aug 12, 2007

  2. "Sandythegeek2" <> wrote in message
    news:#:

    > Hello all,
    > This is my first post here.
    > I'm currently studying for the test 70-271 and am surprised to realize that
    > xp mce is not the same as xp home when it comes to local security policies,
    > file encryption, etc. I've had xp mce 2005 for a 1 1/2 years but never
    > really took the time to compare it to xp home and xp pro. I installed xp
    > pro eval on my vista laptop using VPC. My regular PC has xp mce. I just
    > assumed that mce was the same as home but just included the media center
    > stuff. Much to my surprise, as I'm going through my book, comparing on both
    > xp pro and mce, I find that it is different.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone know if the test will have questions about mce
    > as well? The book (MS Training kit for 70-271) only covers the differences
    > between xp pro and xp home. It doesn't talk about mce at all so far. I
    > know this is probably a stupid question but was just wondering if I needed
    > to also study the mce version?
    >
    > Sandy
    > MCP
    > Network +

    Sandy, no need to worry. The exam deals with Microsoft Windows XP
    Professional in a corporate environment or Microsoft Windows XP Home
    Edition in a home environment. Good luck!
    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 13, 2007

  3. Sandythegeek2

    Andy Barkl Guest

    > Hello all,
    > This is my first post here.
    > I'm currently studying for the test 70-271 and am surprised to realize
    > that xp mce is not the same as xp home when it comes to local security
    > policies, file encryption, etc. I've had xp mce 2005 for a 1 1/2 years
    > but never really took the time to compare it to xp home and xp pro. I
    > installed xp pro eval on my vista laptop using VPC. My regular PC has xp
    > mce. I just assumed that mce was the same as home but just included the
    > media center stuff. Much to my surprise, as I'm going through my book,
    > comparing on both xp pro and mce, I find that it is different.
    >
    > My question is, does anyone know if the test will have questions about mce
    > as well? The book (MS Training kit for 70-271) only covers the
    > differences between xp pro and xp home. It doesn't talk about mce at all
    > so far. I know this is probably a stupid question but was just wondering
    > if I needed to also study the mce version?
    >
    > Sandy
    > MCP
    > Network +

    XP MCE is XP PRO w/MC.

    Andy Barkl, Aug 13, 2007
  4. Sandythegeek2

    Montreal MCT Guest

    That is completely false and you would do well to forget it. The base
    operating system may be XP Pro but crippled... You cannot join MCE to a
    domain, for example.

    --
    Mitch Garvis, MCT
    MCSA, MCITP, MCDST, MCTS

    Montreal MCT, Aug 13, 2007
  5. Sandythegeek2

    Andy Barkl Guest

    "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message
    > That is completely false and you would do well to forget it. The base
    > operating system may be XP Pro but crippled... You cannot join MCE to a
    > domain, for example.

    > "Andy Barkl" <> wrote in message
    >> XP MCE is XP PRO w/MC.

    Close enough in my book!

    Andy Barkl, Aug 13, 2007
  6. Sandythegeek2

    Andy Barkl Guest

    "catwalker63" <> wrote in message
    > "Andy Barkl" <>
    >>

    >> Close enough in my book!
    >>

    > Your book is broken. It's not close enough if you are in a domain.
    > Pretty
    > much useless, then.

    :}

    Andy Barkl, Aug 13, 2007
  7. "Andy Barkl" <> wrote in message

    > "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message
    > > That is completely false and you would do well to forget it. The base
    > > operating system may be XP Pro but crippled... You cannot join MCE to a
    > > domain, for example.

    > > "Andy Barkl" <> wrote in message
    > >> XP MCE is XP PRO w/MC.

    > Close enough in my book!

    Explain that one to a SMB client who you ordered computers for with OEM
    Microsoft XP MCE for their SBS network environment because it was
    cheaper... I'll be expecting a call to clear that one up because it was
    "close enough in your book".

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Aug 13, 2007
  8. Sandythegeek2

    abarkl Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > "Andy Barkl" <> wrote in message Close enough
    > in my book!
    >
    > Explain that one to a SMB client who you ordered computers for with OEM
    > Microsoft XP MCE for their SBS network environment because it was
    > cheaper... I'll be expecting a call to clear that one up because it was
    > "close enough in your book".

    I love you too.

    abarkl, Aug 14, 2007
  9. Sandythegeek2

    Montreal MCT Guest

    Well then it is a good thing you are not an exam writer... or hopefully an
    IT consultant.

    Montreal MCT, Aug 14, 2007
  10. Sandythegeek2

    > Well then it is a good thing you are not an exam writer... or hopefully an
    > IT consultant.

    I'm an MCT just like you. :)

    Andy Barkl, Aug 14, 2007
  11. Andy Barkl wrote:
    > "Montreal MCT" <> wrote in message
    >> Well then it is a good thing you are not an exam writer... or
    >> hopefully an IT consultant.

    > I'm an MCT just not like you. :)

    IFYPFY

    Mostly Gizzards, Aug 14, 2007
  12. Sandythegeek2

    > That is completely false and you would do well to forget it. The base
    > operating system may be XP Pro but crippled... You cannot join MCE to a
    > domain, for example.

    I stand corrected. MCE is closer in enabled features to PRO than HOME.

    Andy Barkl, Aug 14, 2007