    SD card. Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the cheapest
    option?

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jul 18, 2006

  2. Keith Sheppard wrote:
    > Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of SD card and
    > another - either in terms of reliability or (noticeable) speed
    > improvements?
    > Here in the UK you can spend anything between about 15 to 80 pounds
    > on a 1Gb SD card. Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the
    > cheapest option?
    >
    > Keith

    Check the speed: maybe cheap = slow, = limit camera speed, = limit
    download speed? What speed does your camera need, and how long are you
    prepared to wait when downloading?

    The well-known brands such as SanDisk and Lexar have a good reputation, I
    have also used KingMax Platinum successfully. What brand are the GBP 15
    cards, and what backup service might their supplier offer?

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 18, 2006

  3. Keith Sheppard

    Shevek Guest

    Keith Sheppard escribió:
    > Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of SD card and
    > another - either in terms of reliability or (noticeable) speed improvements?
    >
    > Here in the UK you can spend anything between about 15 to 80 pounds on a 1Gb
    > SD card. Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the cheapest
    > option?

    Probably the speed.

    I don't know much about this topic, but I have found (and bought) a
    SanDisk 1Gb SD card, that has the pins to connect to the camera *and* to
    an USB port. It's a bit expensive, but in this way, when I travel, I
    only need to carry my external hard drive and the card (and the camera,
    the charger, the extra batteries, the tripod, and so on... :) ).

    More information:

    http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1239)-SDSDPH-1024-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_1GB.aspx

    --
    Shevek
    Shevek, Jul 18, 2006
  4. Keith Sheppard

    minnesotti Guest

    Shevek wrote:
    > Keith Sheppard escribió:
    > > Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of SD card and
    > > another - either in terms of reliability or (noticeable) speed improvements?
    > >
    > > Here in the UK you can spend anything between about 15 to 80 pounds on a 1Gb
    > > SD card. Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the cheapest
    > > option?
    > >

    > Probably the speed.
    >
    > I don't know much about this topic, but I have found (and bought) a
    > SanDisk 1Gb SD card, that has the pins to connect to the camera *and* to
    > an USB port. It's a bit expensive, but in this way, when I travel, I
    > only need to carry my external hard drive and the card (and the camera,
    > the charger, the extra batteries, the tripod, and so on... :) ).
    >
    > More information:
    >
    > http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1239)-SDSDPH-1024-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_1GB.aspx

    People say this kind of card has reliability problems in the joint
    which fails after many times of bending.

    I have a brand-name Transcend 256MB card with the read/write speed 45x.
    Then I bought a cheapest total no-name SD card 2GB, read/write speed
    133x/88x, like this --
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2GB-133X-SD-...ryZ93930QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    It writes to my camera with the same speed as the firat card. I checked
    the speed of writing of single shots and of series shots with my
    Panasonic LX1. I would say, there is no difference. The build is
    reasonable quality. Though, when I set the camera to "clean the card",
    it takes few seconds with the Transcend card and about 5-10 minutes
    with the no-name card. Either the "cleaning" (rewriting) time for a
    larger card increases in geometrical progression (not proportionally to
    the card's volume), or the no-name has a crappy controller which
    prescribes to which memory cells to write the data.

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006
  5. Keith Sheppard

    Shevek Guest

    minnesotti escribió:
    > Shevek wrote:
    >> Keith Sheppard escribió:
    >>> Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of SD card and
    >>> another - either in terms of reliability or (noticeable) speed improvements?
    >>>
    >>> Here in the UK you can spend anything between about 15 to 80 pounds on a 1Gb
    >>> SD card. Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the cheapest
    >>> option?
    >>>

    >> Probably the speed.
    >>
    >> I don't know much about this topic, but I have found (and bought) a
    >> SanDisk 1Gb SD card, that has the pins to connect to the camera *and* to
    >> an USB port. It's a bit expensive, but in this way, when I travel, I
    >> only need to carry my external hard drive and the card (and the camera,
    >> the charger, the extra batteries, the tripod, and so on... :) ).
    >>
    >> More information:
    >>
    >> http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1239)-SDSDPH-1024-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_1GB.aspx

    > People say this kind of card has reliability problems in the joint
    > which fails after many times of bending.

    I was afraid of that. I'll have to be careful and use the card reader
    when at home.

    --
    Shevek
    Shevek, Jul 18, 2006
  6. Keith Sheppard

    minnesotti Guest

    Shevek wrote:
    > minnesotti escribió:
    > > Shevek wrote:

    > >> Probably the speed.
    > >>
    > >> I don't know much about this topic, but I have found (and bought) a
    > >> SanDisk 1Gb SD card, that has the pins to connect to the camera *and* to
    > >> an USB port. It's a bit expensive, but in this way, when I travel, I
    > >> only need to carry my external hard drive and the card (and the camera,
    > >> the charger, the extra batteries, the tripod, and so on... :) ).
    > >>
    > >> More information:
    > >>
    > >> http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item(1239)-SDSDPH-1024-SanDisk_Ultra_II_SD_Plus_USB_1GB.aspx

    > > People say this kind of card has reliability problems in the joint
    > > which fails after many times of bending.

    > I was afraid of that. I'll have to be careful and use the card reader
    > when at home.

    Do not take my words for granted; I never had such a card. I am just
    saying that I read on some forums where the people shared their
    experiences that this card stuck in the camera's SD card slot. I do not
    know how trustable are these messages.

    minnesotti, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Keith Sheppard

    John Bean Guest

    On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:30:58 GMT, "Keith Sheppard"
    <> wrote:

    >Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of SD card and
    >another - either in terms of reliability or (noticeable) speed improvements?

    Most cameras can't take advantage of high speed cardss but
    they will usually give advantages in a card reader when
    downloading.

    >Here in the UK you can spend anything between about 15 to 80 pounds on a 1Gb
    >SD card.

    As much as £15? ;-)

    > Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the cheapest
    >option?

    I tend not to buy the cheapest, instead I get the cheapest
    brand I know works well. The supplier you use has a bigger
    affect on price; I don't know who's selling 1GB SDs for £80
    but I certainly wouldn't use them...

    Here's a real-world example (I just bought one!): Scan
    (scan.co.uk) have some SDs on offer today, all inc VAT...

    1GB Dane Elec 66x £12.91
    1GB Corsair 60x £14.69
    1GB Corsair 133x £18.21

    I bought the Corsair 60x :)

    These 2GB prices a quite reasonable too:

    2GB Dane Elec 80x £28.19
    2GB Corsair 60x £31.71

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jul 18, 2006
  8. Keith Sheppard

    y_p_w Guest

    Keith Sheppard wrote:

    > Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of
    > SD card and another - either in terms of reliability or
    > (noticeable) speed improvements?

    Brand name itself doesn't necessarily mean anything.
    SanDisk has many different offerings at different
    prices.

    Some "labels" are more like "relabels" of another
    company's product. Many will be purchased in bulk
    from reliable vendors with known reliability. It's
    hard to tell given that relabellers will switch
    suppliers if they can get a better price or if one
    vendor can't provide enough product.

    Many of the "high speed" cards have published speed
    ratings, although I've never seen much for "standard"
    cards.
    y_p_w, Jul 19, 2006
  9. "Keith Sheppard" <> wrote in message
    > Is there much noticeable difference between one brand of SD card and
    > another - either in terms of reliability or (noticeable) speed
    > improvements?
    >
    > Here in the UK you can spend anything between about 15 to 80 pounds on a
    > 1Gb SD card. Are there any compelling reasons not to go for the cheapest
    > option?

    Just purchased a 2gb 133x from www.mymemory.co.uk for £27.99. It's their own
    branded one (with 5year warranty), though they do have other offerings at
    good prices. The card works well in my S3 IS and is certainly fast in my
    card reader.

    Used the company a few times over the last year and can't fault them,
    Jack Torrence, Jul 19, 2006
  10. >>Most cameras can't take advantage of high speed cardss but
    >>they will usually give advantages in a card reader when
    >>downloading.

    I don't have a card reader and was planning to download direct from the
    camera (which I've not bought yet).

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jul 19, 2006
  11. Keith Sheppard

    Shevek Guest

    Keith Sheppard escribió:
    >>> Most cameras can't take advantage of high speed cardss but
    >>> they will usually give advantages in a card reader when
    >>> downloading.

    > I don't have a card reader and was planning to download direct from the
    > camera (which I've not bought yet).

    The card readers are usually faster. And besides, they don't require to
    carry the camera everywhere (for example, to show pictures to a friend).

    If you have two cards, you can have one in the camera in any moment,
    while you have a lot more time to copy the pictures (with the card
    reader) on a hard drive or to burn a CD. It's the same as having two
    sets of batteries instead of only one.

    --
    Shevek
    Shevek, Jul 19, 2006
  12. >>What brand are the GBP 15 cards, and what backup service might their
    >>supplier offer?

    15 pounds was only a ballpark figure. The cheapest I have seen is from
    7dayshop.com at 11.49GBP. According to their web site, "Brand may and can
    vary from picture displayed" so I guess it's whatever they have to hand.
    They also have ScanDisk at 17.99.

    Not sure what you mean by backup service. I would expect most of these cut
    price Internet vendors just to be product shippers. I wouldn't expect much
    after sales service at these prices.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jul 19, 2006
  13. >>As much as £15? ;-)
    It was an approximation.

    >>I don't know who's selling 1GB SDs for £80
    >>but I certainly wouldn't use them...

    That was in a high street store, who I won't embarrass by naming them.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jul 19, 2006
  14. Keith Sheppard

    John Bean Guest

    On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 18:50:10 GMT, "Keith Sheppard"
    <> wrote:

    >>>As much as £15? ;-)

    >It was an approximation.

    It was a joke.

    >>>I don't know who's selling 1GB SDs for £80
    >>>but I certainly wouldn't use them...

    >That was in a high street store, who I won't embarrass by naming them.

    No, I wouldn't name Jessops either. Oops... ;-)

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Jul 19, 2006
  15. Keith Sheppard wrote:
    >>> What brand are the GBP 15 cards, and what backup service might their
    >>> supplier offer?

    > 15 pounds was only a ballpark figure. The cheapest I have seen is
    > from 7dayshop.com at 11.49GBP. According to their web site, "Brand
    > may and can vary from picture displayed" so I guess it's whatever
    > they have to hand. They also have ScanDisk at 17.99.
    >
    > Not sure what you mean by backup service. I would expect most of
    > these cut price Internet vendors just to be product shippers. I
    > wouldn't expect much after sales service at these prices.
    >
    > Keith

    I mean that if you had a problem with the card, would you expect the
    vendor to replace it, or help you contact the manufacturer? Or, on the
    other hand, would you take the view that "I bought cheap, so expect no
    service. If the card fails or doesn't work well, I'll just put that down
    to experience and not buy cheap again".

    Mind you, my reaction was partially because over a year ago I was paying
    nearly GBP 50, and I hadn't realised just how much prices had dropped
    since then! I would stick with SanDisk Ultra II and Kingmax Platinum,
    because I have had no problem with those brands. Lexar are well spoken of
    as well.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2006
  16. >>The card readers are usually faster. And besides, they don't require to
    >>carry the camera everywhere (for example, to show pictures to a friend).
    >>
    >>If you have two cards, you can have one in the camera in any moment, while
    >>you have a lot more time to copy the pictures (with the card reader) on a
    >>hard drive or to burn a CD. It's the same as having two sets of batteries
    >>instead of only one.

    I understand and appreciate the idea but it's not the way I normally work.
    With my current camera, I don't suppose I've taken the card out in over two
    years. They look so flimsy that I'm not at all sure it could take a lot of
    removing and replacing so I always thought it best to leave it where it was
    to avoid damaging it.

    I tend to download to my laptop at my earliest convenience and take my
    laptop with me if I'm going anywhere I might want to show my photos. These
    days I also keep a copy of my latest photos on a USB memory stick which is
    on the keyring with my car keys. Provided the friend has a computer all I
    need is my car keys.

    Keith
    Keith Sheppard, Jul 21, 2006