    but can read it. Other times where the player can't even read it.
    What's going on and can anyone tell me what the differences are and
    compatibilities with players? Thanks.

    Zylan, Jul 7, 2004

  2. "Zylan" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have had a situation where some burners don't burn one or the other
    > but can read it. Other times where the player can't even read it.
    > What's going on and can anyone tell me what the differences are and
    > compatibilities with players? Thanks.

    DVD+RW contains some extra technology that allows extra video to be added to
    the end of an existing track without the 2 block gap that has to be left
    when using DVD-RW. DVD video players generally can't tolerate a gap in the
    data stream. The original purpose was to allow DVD video recorders to write
    more than one programme to a disk and allow it to play correctly. Various
    methods have now been found to allow DVD-RW (and indeed DVD-R) to do a
    similar thing. The other practical upshot is that whereas a DVD-RW must be
    fully formatted before any recording starts, a DVD+RW can be formatted on
    the fly.

    Each type of disk can only be written to on a like type of recorder, but
    many recorders now support both types.

    In theory, once the disk is recorded, they should appear to a player is
    identical. However, due to petty squabbling between some members of the DVD
    consortium, some manufacturers (most notably Toshiba) deliberately rigged
    some of their DVD players and drives to detect and refuse to play DVD+RW
    disks.

    There rapidly appeared a workaround for this. This coupled with a huge
    market hostility, resulted in the practice being abandoned, and generally,
    any player which plays one should play the other.

    You may hear people say that DVD-R/RW is better for video and DVD+R/RW is
    better for data, but there is no technical reason to support this view.

    Ian.

    Electric Fan Club, Jul 12, 2004