    Has a thorough
    review been done somewhere I haven't looked yet?

    Thanks.
    Anthony Buckland, Dec 14, 2003

  2. A70 sensor is smaller (1/2.7" vs 1/1.8" for the A80)
    Lens is different. Mainly to accommodate the larger sensor in the A80.
    Go to Steve's Digicams and check on "Specifications"
    Lots of differences
    Bob Williams

    Robert E. Williams, Dec 14, 2003

  3. Anthony Buckland <> writes:
    >There's a lot of review material available on the net for the A70, but
    >little for the A80.
    >In stores I get the line that they're identical but for a couple of
    >extra modes in the A80,
    >an extra Mp, and the neat swivelling digital viewfinder.

    What you're missing is that the A80 has the same 4 MP sensor as the very
    good Canon G2/G3 series. The A70 uses a physically smaller CCD.
    Although the A80 has more pixels, each pixel on the sensor has more area
    and so the image should have lower noise - comparable to the G3.

    Don't underestimate the usefulness of the tilt/swivel LCD either.

    Basically, the A80 is closer to a G2 than to the A70.

    Dave
    Dave Martindale, Dec 16, 2003