Difference In Wireless Cards?

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by MS, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    Running WinXP Pro, SP1.

    In using my older notebook computer, that doesn't have built-in wireless, I
    use a D-Link DWL-650 (M) PC card wireless adapter. It is more than a year
    old (I don't recall exactly when I got it), I think it has just the "b"
    protocol, not "a" or "g".

    I connect at different places-hotspots, etc., so the routers that it
    connects to varies. Sometimes it connects fine, but other times I have
    problems getting a good connection, or suddenly losing a connection, etc.

    I am wondering if getting a different wireless card, a newer model, for
    instance, either PC card again or USB, would make a difference in the
    problems stated above. I know some of the newer models, especially with "g"
    and "a", advertise faster speeds. I don't know that I am very interested in
    higher speed. What would interest me is longer range, more reliability in
    holding a signal, etc. Would certain brands and models of either PC card or
    USB wireless cards be better in those regards than the one I have?

    (Again, the routers it connects to varies, so there isn't the option of
    buying the notebook card to be optimized with a particular router, such as
    if one was only using it with a home network.)

    MS, Sep 24, 2005

  2. MS

    Jack Guest

    Hi

    The DWL-650 is 802.11b. It is Unlikely that a Wireless Hotspot would provide
    Wireless Internet that is faster then 802.11b speed, So your card should be
    adequate.

    Since you do not have a frame of reference I.e. your own Wireless
    connection, it is hard to determine whether some thing is wrong with your
    Card, or that some of the Hot Spot are not providing good signals.

    There are booster PCMCIA Cards (Hawking makes one) it might help, but might
    be a waste of money too. It is your call.

    http://www.provantage.com/buy-22096428-hawking-technology-wireless-hwc54d-hi
    -laptop-card-shopping.htm

    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Sep 24, 2005

  3. MS

    Quaoar Guest

    MS wrote:
    > Running WinXP Pro, SP1.
    >
    > In using my older notebook computer, that doesn't have built-in
    > wireless, I use a D-Link DWL-650 (M) PC card wireless adapter. It is
    > more than a year old (I don't recall exactly when I got it), I think
    > it has just the "b" protocol, not "a" or "g".
    >
    > I connect at different places-hotspots, etc., so the routers that it
    > connects to varies. Sometimes it connects fine, but other times I
    > have problems getting a good connection, or suddenly losing a
    > connection, etc.
    >
    > I am wondering if getting a different wireless card, a newer model,
    > for instance, either PC card again or USB, would make a difference in
    > the problems stated above. I know some of the newer models,
    > especially with "g" and "a", advertise faster speeds. I don't know
    > that I am very interested in higher speed. What would interest me is
    > longer range, more reliability in holding a signal, etc. Would
    > certain brands and models of either PC card or USB wireless cards be
    > better in those regards than the one I have?
    >
    > (Again, the routers it connects to varies, so there isn't the option
    > of buying the notebook card to be optimized with a particular router,
    > such as if one was only using it with a home network.)

    Notebooks, by their design, can shield the small antenna in the PC-card
    from the signal source. You can try rotating the laptop slowly,
    watching the signal quality, until you find the point at which the
    notebook case and/or the LCD screen are not blocking the signal. The
    mini-pci cards are particularly good since the antenna is in the screen
    and the notebook itself is not blocking the signal.

    Quaoar, Sep 24, 2005
  4. MS

    MS Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > The DWL-650 is 802.11b. It is Unlikely that a Wireless Hotspot would

    provide
    > Wireless Internet that is faster then 802.11b speed, So your card should

    be
    > adequate.

    Yes, and speed is really not an issue for me anyhow. What I'm wondering is
    if any of the newer cards (PC card and/or USB) have a longer range, better
    at keeping signals, etc.? (Or, is the only advance that's been made been in
    the area of speed?)

    MS, Sep 25, 2005