    virtual directories that the Default Web Site contains. Is my understanding
    correct? If not, where would I find %root%\Web.config?

    Thanks.

    Sean Dockery, Jun 21, 2009

  2. "Sean Dockery" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm a little confused as to the notion of "Web Site" alluded to in the TK
    > 70-562 book in Figure 1-12: The configuration file hierarchy. Is Web Site
    > an
    > IIS notion?

    Sean, these are fundamental Sharepoint Administration questions, not really
    Sharepoint Development questions, so you may find it useful to review some
    Sharepoint Administration materials along the way.

    And, even prior to that, you might find an introduction to ASP.NET
    fundamentals useful, as Sharepoint is entirely based on ASP.NET.

    As to the question, though, in Sharepoint at "Web Site" is a logical
    construct that represents a security and functionality boundary for a
    defined group of users and content. Multiple "sites" make up a Site
    Collection, and a Site Collection is implemented, physically, as an IIS
    Virtual Server.

    > Figure 1-12 seems to suggest that a Web.config file that exists in the
    > root
    > directory of the Default Web Site in IIS can affect applications deployed
    > virtual directories that the Default Web Site contains. Is my
    > understanding
    > correct?

    Yes. The values defined in a web.config are hierarchically applied. A
    web.config can exist in a number of different places, and has scope at that
    level and down. It can exist in the IIS virtual server root, where it has
    scope over the entire IIS virtual server; it can exist in an IIS virtual
    directory (typically the root of an application), where it has scope over
    the application; and it can also exist in subfolders, where it would have
    scope over the content contained in that subfolder -- perhaps in the ~\bin
    folder of a v-root, where it has scope over just the executable content of
    the site, but not the HTML-based content.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jun 22, 2009

  3. Sean Dockery

    Sean Dockery Guest

    Re: Difference between Web App and Web Site in Config File Hierarc

    Hello Lawrence,

    While I appreciate the obvious effort that you put into composing your
    reply, I'm not entirely sure how your discussion of Sharepoint applies and it
    is probably deeper than I'm prepared to absorb.

    I have come to realize that the concept of multiple Web Sites does not exist
    within IIS on Windows XP. My extremely limited exposure to Windows Server
    system administration and the fact that multiple Web Sites are not possible
    on Windows XP had contributed to my confusion. I have since explored the IIS
    Admin Management Console on Windows Server 2003 and discovered the New > Web
    Site... menu option and believe that I have a handle on the concept of Web
    Site as discussed in the TK 70-562 book.

    PS: TK 70-562 is for the ASP.NET 3.5 exam; perhaps you were confusing this
    with another book/exam related to Sharepoint?

    Thanks.

    Kindest regards,

    Sean Dockery, Jun 23, 2009
  4. Re: Difference between Web App and Web Site in Config File Hierarc

    > While I appreciate the obvious effort that you put into composing your
    > reply, I'm not entirely sure how your discussion of Sharepoint applies and
    > it
    > is probably deeper than I'm prepared to absorb.

    Due to my error... it doesn't... at all. :)

    > I have come to realize that the concept of multiple Web Sites does not
    > exist
    > within IIS on Windows XP.

    Aha! Yes.. IIS on WinXP is a totally different animal than IIS on a server
    system.

    > PS: TK 70-562 is for the ASP.NET 3.5 exam; perhaps you were confusing
    > this
    > with another book/exam related to Sharepoint?

    Yeah.. I mistyped 70-542 into my browser - which is the Sharepoint AppDev
    exam.

    My apologies for the confusion.

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Jun 23, 2009