Difference between these two cameras?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Tim Chmielewski, Nov 18, 2005.

  1. I have been using the following digital camera for almost 2 years to take
    photos for my website and to give to the performers:
    Canon Powershot A80
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a80.asp

    From my investigations I have come up with the following two cameras that
    look interesting:

    Canon EOS 350D
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp

    Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp

    I don't really know what the difference is between them though.
    If I was only interested in the brand name I would stick with Canon, but
    the Fuji uses Compact Flash, AA NimH batteries and has a 10X zoom that
    would be very useful.

    --
    My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
    Two Preson Bike: http://timchuma.com/twopresonbike/
    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 18, 2005

  2. Tim Chmielewski

    Dave Cohen Guest

    "Tim Chmielewski" <> wrote in message
    >I have been using the following digital camera for almost 2 years to take
    > photos for my website and to give to the performers:
    > Canon Powershot A80
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a80.asp
    >

    > From my investigations I have come up with the following two cameras that
    > look interesting:
    >
    > Canon EOS 350D
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    >
    > Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp

    <snipped>
    As far as I could tell from a quick look at the site, one is a true slr, the
    other has a zoom lens without stabaization. If money isn't a factor I would
    spring for the canon, see what others think.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2005

  3. "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in news:EHbff.1363$Db.1183@trndny01:

    >> Canon EOS 350D
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    >>
    >> Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    >> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp
    >>

    > <snipped>
    > As far as I could tell from a quick look at the site, one is a true
    > slr, the other has a zoom lens without stabaization. If money isn't a
    > factor I would spring for the canon, see what others think.
    > Dave Cohen

    The Canon is selling for $1500AUD and the Fuji retails around $800AUD.

    I don't have the money to purchase one straight up so I will have to pay by
    instalments over 6 months to a year (I think some department stores have a
    48 months interest free deal.)

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 18, 2005
  4. Tim Chmielewski

    > "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in news:EHbff.1363$Db.1183@trndny01:
    >

    >>> Canon EOS 350D
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    >>>
    >>> Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp
    >>>

    >> <snipped>
    >> As far as I could tell from a quick look at the site, one is a true
    >> slr, the other has a zoom lens without stabaization. If money isn't a
    >> factor I would spring for the canon, see what others think.
    >> Dave Cohen
    >>

    > The Canon is selling for $1500AUD and the Fuji retails around $800AUD.
    >
    > I don't have the money to purchase one straight up so I will have to pay
    > by
    > instalments over 6 months to a year (I think some department stores have a
    > 48 months interest free deal.)
    >

    > --
    > My Photos : http://photos.timchuma.com
    > Two Preson Bike: http://timchuma.com/twopresonbike/
    > The Twits Give Me the Shits : http://twitsgivemetheshits.timchuma.com
    > Tim's Hong Kong movie reviews: http://hkmovies.timchuma.com

    OK, the price difference is certainly a factor. Confirm is my statement
    about stabalization is correct. If it is, give serious consideration to the
    competitive large zoom models that are stabalized.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Nov 18, 2005
  5. Tim Chmielewski

    none Guest

    Tim Chmielewski wrote:
    > Canon EOS 350D
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    > Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp

    That is a weird choice -- the Canon is an SLR while the Fuji is a P/S
    superzoom. It's kind of like saying that you're going to buy either an
    apple laptop or a cray supercomputer.

    What are the main features/improvements that you are hoping to get from
    the new camera? Why did you pick these two cameras in particular?

    -Mike
    none, Nov 18, 2005
  6. Tim Chmielewski

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > From my investigations I have come up with the following two cameras that
    > look interesting:
    >
    > Canon EOS 350D
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_eos350d.asp
    >
    > Fujifilm FinePix S9000 Z
    > http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs9000z.asp
    >
    > I don't really know what the difference is between them though.
    > If I was only interested in the brand name I would stick with Canon, but
    > the Fuji uses Compact Flash, AA NimH batteries and has a 10X zoom that
    > would be very useful.

    They're not quite chalk and cheese because they are both cameras. However
    the Canon 350D SLR (I have one of these) is a giant leap ahead of your A80
    (I have one of these as well).

    Don't fret about the battery of the Canon 350D. I get several hundred shots
    to a charge.

    Please define what you want to do in photography and you may get more help.
    Incidentally - I hardly use the point and shoot cameras now I have the SLR.

    John
    Eatmorepies, Nov 18, 2005
  7. "Eatmorepies" <> wrote in

    > Don't fret about the battery of the Canon 350D. I get several hundred
    > shots to a charge.

    I would also buy a spare battery to carry with me as I do now.

    > Please define what you want to do in photography and you may get more
    > help. Incidentally - I hardly use the point and shoot cameras now I
    > have the SLR.

    I have had my A80 for almost two years now and have been using it to
    take photos of live music around inner Melbourne
    http://photos.timchuma.com/

    Since the start of this year I have been trying to use the manual
    controls more often, but I still have to take a lot of photos to get a
    few I can use.

    Owing to the nature of the venues I am photographing in, I will not be
    using a tripod and I don't like to use the flash that often if it can be
    helped.

    Many of the venues I photograph in have coloured gels on the lights
    which effects what I can take in the first place (my favourite photos
    for this year were this set -
    http://photos.timchuma.com/TownBikesCookOff/index.html where they only
    had one big spot light.)

    From time to time I also get to photograph dance performances and other
    events so hopefully the camera would be easy enough to carry around as I
    take my current A80 everywhere.

    Once I buy the new camera, the A80 will be going to my parents as they
    have taken it on holidays with them and were very happy with it.

    Thanks.

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Tim Chmielewski

    none Guest

    On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:08:05 +0000, Tim Chmielewski wrote:
    > I have had my A80 for almost two years now and have been using it to
    > take photos of live music around inner Melbourne
    > http://photos.timchuma.com/

    If you can get close to the performers and dancers then maybe the 400mm
    superzoom lens is not so desirable. And an SLR will certainly do a
    lot better in low light than any P/S camera.

    It sounds to me like the Rebel with a good midrange zoom and maybe a
    wideish portrait lens might be ideal. Don't make the mistake I did
    and buy crappy lenses. If it is a choice between the Rebel with a POS lens
    and a superzoom (The Canon S2, Panasonic FZ5, and Sony DSC-H1 all seem to
    be good ones), I would get the superzoom and maybe save up to buy the SLR
    later.

    -Mike
    none, Nov 22, 2005
  9. none <> wrote in

    > On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 00:08:05 +0000, Tim Chmielewski wrote:
    >> I have had my A80 for almost two years now and have been using it to
    >> take photos of live music around inner Melbourne
    >> http://photos.timchuma.com/

    > If you can get close to the performers and dancers then maybe the
    > 400mm superzoom lens is not so desirable. And an SLR will certainly do
    > a lot better in low light than any P/S camera.

    I had particular problems with this shoot:
    http://photos.timchuma.com/BurlesqueBattleRoyale/index.html

    (The performers seem to like the photos though, yes, even the one where
    their breasts are showing.)

    Tim Chmielewski, Nov 22, 2005