Difference between sleep and hibernate

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by n o s p a m p l e a s e, Sep 14, 2010.

  1. What is the difference between the sleep and hibernate? My OS is WIN7
    Enterprise.

    n o s p a m p l e a s e, Sep 14, 2010

  2. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2010 07:17:24 -0700, n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:

    > What is the difference between the sleep and hibernate? My OS is WIN7
    > Enterprise.

    Sleep stores the last running state in RAM while hibernate stores it in a
    file on the hard drive.

    Meat Plow, Sep 14, 2010

  3. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Roger K Guest

    "n o s p a m p l e a s e" <> wrote in message
    > What is the difference between the sleep and hibernate? My OS is WIN7
    > Enterprise.

    In sleep mode the current state of the PC is stored in RAM before all
    non-essential power is removed. Hibernate is similar except that the current
    state is stored on the hard drive. Waking from sleep should therefore be
    faster.

    Roger K, Sep 14, 2010
  4. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    exntluser Guest

    > What is the difference between the sleep and hibernate? My OS is WIN7
    > Enterprise.

    Q: What's the difference between light & hard?
    A; You can go asleep with a light on.....

    exntluser, Sep 14, 2010
  5. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 14/09/2010 15:17, n o s p a m p l e a s e wrote:
    > What is the difference between the sleep and hibernate? My OS is WIN7
    > Enterprise.

    You go to sleep, bears hibernate.

    Desk Rabbit, Sep 14, 2010
  6. n o s p a m p l e a s e

    chuckcar Guest

    n o s p a m p l e a s e <> wrote in

    > What is the difference between the sleep and hibernate? My OS is WIN7
    > Enterprise.

    Hybernate actually turns the computer *completely* off and stores all
    ram to a specific file on the hard drive. Sleep merely puts the computer
    in low power mode (turns off the hard drive, disables all peripherals
    including the video card and any other PCI etc. cards and the keyboard.
    It then turns the power light on the computer amber and does little more
    than update the clock and provide refresh cycles to the dynamic RAM so
    the contents of it are not corrupted.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Sep 15, 2010