Difference between Micro SD and SD cards?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sauro, Apr 8, 2010.

  1. sauro

    sauro Guest

    I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
    my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
    a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.

    Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    significant differences?

    Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
    inside an adaptor?

    Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?
    sauro, Apr 8, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. sauro

    Ofnuts Guest

    On 08/04/2010 20:17, sauro wrote:
    > I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
    > my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
    > a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
    >
    > Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    > significant differences?


    There is one thing in the SD that is not supported by the micro SD (SPI
    mode) but I don't think its' relevant in cameras.

    > Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
    > inside an adaptor?


    More contacts, so yes. But still workable.

    > Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?


    For the same price, I can't tell, but the main use of microSD
    (telephones and MP3 players) doesn't call for very fast cards, so those
    fast enough for cameras may be a bit harder to find.


    --
    Bertrand
    Ofnuts, Apr 8, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. sauro

    Better Info Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:17:20 +0100, sauro <> wrote:

    >I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
    >my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
    >a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
    >
    >Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    >significant differences?


    They behave no differently, if that's what you mean. Except for
    write-speed, see below.

    >
    >Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
    >inside an adaptor?


    As long as you keep the contacts from getting oils and dirt on them you
    should have no problems. I use them in all manner of Micro-SD(HC) adapters.
    I like Micro-SD because while listening to my MP3 tunes or audio-books
    while out taking photographs I know I always have a ready backup of memory
    handy. The MP3's I can always copy over again after formatting it for
    photos. The photo that I need to take might be a once in a lifetime chance.
    The MP3's are easily expendable out in the field. My GPS unit also uses
    Micro-SD, so there's another large chunk of backup memory for photos that I
    always have along with. I can always replace the maps on those cards too.
    But there's generally at least 3GB of free space left on my 8GB MicroSD
    card in my GPS unit without having to delete anything. The rest is taken up
    with high-resolution topographic and water depth maps for nearly 2
    continents. (File manipulation is done out in the field by using my MP3
    player that has "RockBox" installed on it for its operating system.)

    For an older Sony camera I even use a 4GB Micro-SDHC in 2 nested adapters.
    One to mate it to Memory-Stick Pro Duo, and the Memory-Stick Pro Duo goes
    in an older Memory-Stick Pro adapter. An easy upgrade for a camera that
    doesn't even allow that much memory. Even with 2 adapters being used I find
    no problems.

    Another plus is that by using adapters for other card formats you can often
    use them in older card readers that do not support the SDHC format, if your
    card is a Micro-SDHC type. The same way that I'm able to override the older
    Sony camera's 2GB memory limit, the adapter makes it backward-compatible.

    >
    >Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?


    I have found that the ones I've purchased are a little slower in
    write-speed than the same speed rating on full sized SD cards. Why this is
    so I'm unsure. It could just be the brands I bought or something. I haven't
    tested all brands and speed-ratings of them to find out if this is
    generally true. If you browse the following compilation of SD and Micro-SD
    card speed tests you'll see a pattern where they are a little slower on
    write-speed when compared against similarly rated full-size SD cards in the
    same cameras.

    http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Benchmarks
    Better Info, Apr 8, 2010
    #3
  4. sauro

    sauro Guest

    On 21:06 8 Apr 2010, Better Info wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 19:17:20 +0100, sauro <> wrote:
    >
    >>I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for
    >>when my other SD cards got full when I was away from home.
    >>Additionally, I want a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
    >>
    >>Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    >>significant differences?

    >
    > They behave no differently, if that's what you mean. Except for
    > write-speed, see below.
    >
    >>
    >>Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD
    >>card inside an adaptor?

    >
    > As long as you keep the contacts from getting oils and dirt on them
    > you should have no problems. I use them in all manner of Micro-SD(HC)
    > adapters. I like Micro-SD because while listening to my MP3 tunes or
    > audio-books while out taking photographs I know I always have a ready
    > backup of memory handy. The MP3's I can always copy over again after
    > formatting it for photos. The photo that I need to take might be a
    > once in a lifetime chance. The MP3's are easily expendable out in the
    > field. My GPS unit also uses Micro-SD, so there's another large chunk
    > of backup memory for photos that I always have along with. I can
    > always replace the maps on those cards too. But there's generally at
    > least 3GB of free space left on my 8GB MicroSD card in my GPS unit
    > without having to delete anything. The rest is taken up with
    > high-resolution topographic and water depth maps for nearly 2
    > continents. (File manipulation is done out in the field by using my
    > MP3 player that has "RockBox" installed on it for its operating
    > system.)
    >
    > For an older Sony camera I even use a 4GB Micro-SDHC in 2 nested
    > adapters. One to mate it to Memory-Stick Pro Duo, and the Memory-Stick
    > Pro Duo goes in an older Memory-Stick Pro adapter. An easy upgrade for
    > a camera that doesn't even allow that much memory. Even with 2
    > adapters being used I find no problems.
    >
    > Another plus is that by using adapters for other card formats you can
    > often use them in older card readers that do not support the SDHC
    > format, if your card is a Micro-SDHC type. The same way that I'm able
    > to override the older Sony camera's 2GB memory limit, the adapter
    > makes it backward-compatible.
    >
    >>
    >>Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

    >
    > I have found that the ones I've purchased are a little slower in
    > write-speed than the same speed rating on full sized SD cards. Why
    > this is so I'm unsure. It could just be the brands I bought or
    > something. I haven't tested all brands and speed-ratings of them to
    > find out if this is generally true. If you browse the following
    > compilation of SD and Micro-SD card speed tests you'll see a pattern
    > where they are a little slower on write-speed when compared against
    > similarly rated full-size SD cards in the same cameras.
    >
    > http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/Benchmarks


    Interesting info especially about using adapters with MicroSD-HC cards to
    permit the memory to work with non-SDHC devices.

    As it happens I have an old Sony Handycam DCR-P100 which I bought in 2000.
    Can I use your memory adapter trick to replace the paltry 64MB Sony
    MemoryStick with a more modern MemoryStick. (I have no idea about Sony Duo
    or Pro memory.)

    This is my 64MB MemoryStick http://tinyurl.com/yz8etqn -OR-
    <http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Memory_Stick_Front_and_
    Back.jpg>
    sauro, Apr 8, 2010
    #4
  5. sauro

    SMS Guest

    On 08/04/10 11:17 AM, sauro wrote:
    > I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for when
    > my other SD cards got full when I was away from home. Additionally, I want
    > a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
    >
    > Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    > significant differences?
    >
    > Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD card
    > inside an adaptor?
    >
    > Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?


    Yes, but it might not matter to you. Depends on what speeds your camera
    is capable of, and if you're doing HD video on the camera.

    You can get MicroSD cards in class 6 and class 8, but they are a lot
    more expensive than SD cards in class 6 and class 8.

    In some devices the faster cards do make a big difference, such as many
    GPS units which are reading map data off the cards.

    I would use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter. It's another
    point of failure and it's more expensive.
    SMS, Apr 8, 2010
    #5
  6. sauro

    Better Info Guest

    On Thu, 08 Apr 2010 22:31:18 +0100, sauro <> wrote:

    >
    >Interesting info especially about using adapters with MicroSD-HC cards to
    >permit the memory to work with non-SDHC devices.


    >
    >As it happens I have an old Sony Handycam DCR-P100 which I bought in 2000.
    >Can I use your memory adapter trick to replace the paltry 64MB Sony
    >MemoryStick with a more modern MemoryStick. (I have no idea about Sony Duo
    >or Pro memory.)


    You'd have to test it yourself to be certain. I suspect it might work just
    fine. The reason I have to use 2 adapters with my Sony camera is that I
    could only find a Micro-SD to Memory-Stick Duo adapter, being sold as a kit
    with the Micro-SD card so they could be used with Memory-Stick Duo devices.
    My Sony camera uses the older style stick, like the one you show in your
    link. I then had to use a Memory-Stick Duo to Memory-Stick Pro adapter to
    make it work. In order to get that adapter I had to purchase a 1GB
    Memory-Stick Duo that included the Duo to Pro adapter, sold that way so the
    Duo package style could be used in older cameras. I tried nesting the two
    and it worked perfectly, surpassing the camera's own memory limits. When I
    think of how much 4GB of Memory Stick Pro would have cost back then, the
    $25-$35 it cost to get it to accept that much memory today is a mere
    pittance of an investment. 250MB cards used to go for $90 each at that
    time. 4GB would have cost $1,440. Their 1GB Memory-Stick Pros, if I recall,
    were going for a hefty $280-$325 back then too, no cost savings there
    either.

    It was also at this time that I still had an older card reader that didn't
    support the SDHC format. On a whim I thought I'd see if it would work if I
    nested the Micro-SDHC cards in the Memory-Stick adapters and put it in the
    card slot for the Memory-Stick format. It surprisingly worked.


    >
    >This is my 64MB MemoryStick http://tinyurl.com/yz8etqn -OR-
    ><http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cd/Memory_Stick_Front_and_Back.jpg>
    Better Info, Apr 9, 2010
    #6
  7. sauro

    sauro Guest

    On 22:43 8 Apr 2010, SMS wrote:

    > On 08/04/10 11:17 AM, sauro wrote:
    >> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for
    >> when my other SD cards got full when I was away from home.
    >> Additionally, I want a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
    >>
    >> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    >> significant differences?
    >>
    >> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD
    >> card inside an adaptor?
    >>
    >> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

    >
    > Yes, but it might not matter to you. Depends on what speeds your
    > camera is capable of, and if you're doing HD video on the camera.
    >
    > You can get MicroSD cards in class 6 and class 8, but they are a lot
    > more expensive than SD cards in class 6 and class 8.
    >
    > In some devices the faster cards do make a big difference, such as
    > many GPS units which are reading map data off the cards.
    >
    > I would use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter. It's another
    > point of failure and it's more expensive.


    Did you mean to say this ....

    "I would NOT use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter"
    sauro, Apr 9, 2010
    #7
  8. sauro

    Better Info Guest

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2010 11:53:30 +0100, sauro <> wrote:

    >On 22:43 8 Apr 2010, SMS wrote:
    >
    >> On 08/04/10 11:17 AM, sauro wrote:
    >>> I want to get some SD memory cards for my point and shoot camera, for
    >>> when my other SD cards got full when I was away from home.
    >>> Additionally, I want a spare *Micro* SD card for my phone.
    >>>
    >>> Are Micro SD and SD cards identical except for size or are there
    >>> significant differences?
    >>>
    >>> Am I more likely to hit problems like reliability if I use a Micro SD
    >>> card inside an adaptor?
    >>>
    >>> Are Micro SD cards noticeably slower than SD cards of the same price?

    >>
    >> Yes, but it might not matter to you. Depends on what speeds your
    >> camera is capable of, and if you're doing HD video on the camera.
    >>
    >> You can get MicroSD cards in class 6 and class 8, but they are a lot
    >> more expensive than SD cards in class 6 and class 8.
    >>
    >> In some devices the faster cards do make a big difference, such as
    >> many GPS units which are reading map data off the cards.
    >>
    >> I would use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter. It's another
    >> point of failure and it's more expensive.

    >
    >Did you mean to say this ....
    >
    >"I would NOT use a Micro SD card in a camera with an adapter"


    You'll need to ignore the SMS troll. It is well known that this cretin has
    never owned a camera in its lifetime. I just parrots what it reads on the
    net and from downloadable camera manuals, pretending to be a photographer
    like some adventurous role-playing game.
    Better Info, Apr 9, 2010
    #8
  9. > Interesting info especially about using adapters with MicroSD-HC cards
    > to
    > permit the memory to work with non-SDHC devices.


    Considering the source is a well-known troll I wouldn't trust that
    information any further than I could spit it - at least not without a
    /very/ thorough check first.

    Hope that helps.

    David
    David J Taylor, Apr 9, 2010
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Noname

    Difference between flash cards

    Noname, Aug 11, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    2,348
    Bill Hilton
    Aug 12, 2004
  2. Jamie

    What is the difference between these flash cards?

    Jamie, Oct 18, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    440
    Larry R Harrison Jr
    Oct 18, 2004
  3. My View

    Difference between Sandisk Ultra II CF Cards???

    My View, Oct 23, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    776
  4. grinder

    XD cards: difference between size and speed

    grinder, Jun 25, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    355
    Malcolm
    Jun 26, 2006
  5. Trouble
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    342
    Colt He
    Nov 1, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page