Difference between GBIC and Giga Ethernet interface

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Rahan, Aug 9, 2006.

  1. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    Hi all,

    I will connect 2 switchs catalyst (2950 or 2960) by STP by Giga interface.

    For this need, generally, i use GBIC interface and its work fine.

    Today, a lot of catalysts are provided with Giga Ethernet interface (RJ45)
    like catalyst 2960.

    If i use this port (Giga Ethernet interface) to connect the two switchs,
    what will be the differences ?

    So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga Ethernet
    interface and what is the best choice ?

    Thank You very much !!!

    Best Regards
    Rahan

    Rahan, Aug 9, 2006

  2. Rahan

    AM Guest

    Rahan wrote:
    > So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga Ethernet
    > interface and what is the best choice ?

    I'm not an expert but I think GBIC enables you to cover a greater distance. If your link length is less than that
    specified for Gigabit Ethernet you can use Gigabit Ethernet.
    We're using GBIC to connect 2 switches located in 2 different buildings. Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet.
    If your switches are quite close each other you don't need to move to GBIC.

    Alex.

    AM, Aug 9, 2006

  3. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    "AM" <> a écrit dans le message de
    > Rahan wrote:
    > > So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga

    Ethernet
    > > interface and what is the best choice ?

    > I'm not an expert but I think GBIC enables you to cover a greater

    distance. If your link length is less than that
    > specified for Gigabit Ethernet you can use Gigabit Ethernet.
    > We're using GBIC to connect 2 switches located in 2 different buildings.

    Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet.
    > If your switches are quite close each other you don't need to move to

    GBIC.

    > Alex.

    Thanks a lot Alex.

    Can someone confirm that distance is the alone difference ?

    In technology fibre (Gbic or Mini-Gbic), two cables (fibres) are used. I
    think that one is used to transmit and the second for receive data. If it's
    true, using Gbic or Mini-Gbic (SFP) can increase bandthwith performance.

    i am not sure. i don't know.

    Any confirmation ?

    Thanks a lot

    Best Regards
    Rahan

    Rahan, Aug 9, 2006
  4. Rahan

    Guest

    AM wrote:
    > Rahan wrote:
    > > So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga Ethernet
    > > interface and what is the best choice ?

    > I'm not an expert but I think GBIC enables you to cover a greater distance. If your link length is less than that
    > specified for Gigabit Ethernet you can use Gigabit Ethernet.
    > We're using GBIC to connect 2 switches located in 2 different buildings. Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet.
    > If your switches are quite close each other you don't need to move to GBIC.

    1000BaseTX is 1000BaseTX whether on GBIC or not.

    However - be aware than not all ports are created equal however I think
    that
    on your particular platforms that there will be no difference.

    On a 4500 for example the Supervisor engine ports each
    have a dedicated 1Gbps to the Switch fabric and many
    line card ports do not.

    Even copper ports nowaday run really clean.
    Here is the first one that I looked at:-

    Hardware is Gigabit Ethernet Port,
    8415914730 packets input, 4343581946310 bytes, 0 no buffer

    The input erriors are due to congestion since this port
    contends for the backplane.

    , Aug 9, 2006
  5. Rahan

    BernieM Guest

    "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message

    > "AM" <> a écrit dans le message de
    >> Rahan wrote:
    >> > So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga

    > Ethernet
    >> > interface and what is the best choice ?

    >> I'm not an expert but I think GBIC enables you to cover a greater

    > distance. If your link length is less than that
    >> specified for Gigabit Ethernet you can use Gigabit Ethernet.
    >> We're using GBIC to connect 2 switches located in 2 different buildings.

    > Maybe we could do the same with Ethernet.
    >> If your switches are quite close each other you don't need to move to

    > GBIC.
    >>
    >> Alex.

    > Thanks a lot Alex.
    >
    > Can someone confirm that distance is the alone difference ?
    >
    > In technology fibre (Gbic or Mini-Gbic), two cables (fibres) are used. I
    > think that one is used to transmit and the second for receive data. If
    > it's
    > true, using Gbic or Mini-Gbic (SFP) can increase bandthwith performance.
    >
    > i am not sure. i don't know.
    >
    > Any confirmation ?
    >
    > Thanks a lot
    >
    > Best Regards
    > Rahan

    With a "1000BASE-ZX" you'll get up to 70km ...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheet0900aecd8033f885.html

    as opposed to 100m with the "1000BASE-T SFP" ...

    http://www.cisco.com/application/pdf/en/us/guest/products/ps5455/c1650/cdccont_0900aecd8040bd01.pdf

    Other relevent data sheets ...

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps5455/products_data_sheets_list.html

    BernieM

    BernieM, Aug 9, 2006
  6. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    Thanks a lot for yours answers.

    So, the connector of SFP port is RJ45 ???!!!

    Can you confirm please ?

    Rahan

    Rahan, Aug 9, 2006
  7. Rahan

    Brian V Guest

    > Thanks a lot for yours answers.
    >
    > So, the connector of SFP port is RJ45 ???!!!
    >
    > Can you confirm please ?
    >
    > Rahan

    No, SFP is not RJ45. SFP stands for "Small Form Factor". In that SFP port
    you could put a fiber or RJ45 gbic in it.

    Brian V, Aug 9, 2006
  8. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    "Brian V" <die_spammer@no_spam.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks a lot for yours answers.
    > >
    > > So, the connector of SFP port is RJ45 ???!!!
    > >
    > > Can you confirm please ?
    > >
    > > Rahan
    > >

    > No, SFP is not RJ45. SFP stands for "Small Form Factor". In that SFP port
    > you could put a fiber or RJ45 gbic in it.

    so, when you said "you could put a RJ45", you mean converter Fiber to RJ45 ?
    and when you use directly module Fiber, it's a native solution ?

    Thanks a lot
    Rahan

    Rahan, Aug 9, 2006
  9. "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Brian V" <die_spammer@no_spam.com> a écrit dans le message de
    >>
    >> "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks a lot for yours answers.
    >> >
    >> > So, the connector of SFP port is RJ45 ???!!!
    >> >
    >> > Can you confirm please ?
    >> >
    >> > Rahan
    >> >

    >> No, SFP is not RJ45. SFP stands for "Small Form Factor". In that SFP port
    >> you could put a fiber or RJ45 gbic in it.
    >>

    > so, when you said "you could put a RJ45", you mean converter Fiber to RJ45
    > ?
    > and when you use directly module Fiber, it's a native solution ?

    You can get SPF with 1000baseTx (!) hence , yes is might be a RJ45

    Martin Bilgrav, Aug 9, 2006
  10. "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all,

    Hi

    > Today, a lot of catalysts are provided with Giga Ethernet interface (RJ45)
    > like catalyst 2960.

    yes - many has 10/100/1000 RJ45 ports.

    > If i use this port (Giga Ethernet interface) to connect the two switchs,
    > what will be the differences ?

    That you use another port.

    > So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga Ethernet
    > interface and what is the best choice ?

    A port is a port - doesnt matter what interfaces it has.
    GBIC (older tech) come in many flavors. like fiber, stacking, longrange
    fibers, and RJ45-1000baseT
    SPF (Newer Tech) comes in not somany flavors, fiber, longrange fiber and
    RJ45-10/100/1000 (!)
    GBIC and SPF are both names/terms for the connecting interfaces. The port
    "in the other end" is just a regular port, like if it were a 10/100/1000.

    > Thank You very much !!!
    >
    > Best Regards
    > Rahan

    HTH
    Martin

    Martin Bilgrav, Aug 9, 2006
  11. Rahan

    Guest

    Martin Bilgrav wrote:
    > "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brian V" <die_spammer@no_spam.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >>
    > >> "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> No, SFP is not RJ45. SFP stands for "Small Form Factor". In that SFP port
    > >> you could put a fiber or RJ45 gbic in it.
    > >>

    > > so, when you said "you could put a RJ45", you mean converter Fiber to RJ45
    > > ?
    > > and when you use directly module Fiber, it's a native solution ?

    > You can get SPF with 1000baseTx (!) hence , yes is might be a RJ45

    Rahan,

    When you buy a switch with an SPF /slot/ it is exactly like buying a
    switch with a GBIC /slot/.

    You cannot connect anything to it /except/ an SPF module
    or a GBIC module. These are extra cost items.

    In turn the GBIC or SPF allows you to connect a variety
    of different physical cable types.

    For example -
    RJ45 terminated Cat6 cable
    Appropriately terminated Multi-mode fiber
    Appropriately terminated Single mode fiber

    The SPF slot is about the same size as an RJ45 socket
    and in a low resolution web image looks a lot like an RJ45
    socket but it is not.

    The SPF system is like the GBIC system except that the
    modules are smaller.

    I hope that answers your question. Finally:))

    , Aug 9, 2006
  12. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    <> a écrit dans le message de

    Martin Bilgrav wrote:
    > "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Brian V" <die_spammer@no_spam.com> a écrit dans le message de
    > >>
    > >> "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message

    > >> No, SFP is not RJ45. SFP stands for "Small Form Factor". In that SFP

    port
    > >> you could put a fiber or RJ45 gbic in it.
    > >>

    > > so, when you said "you could put a RJ45", you mean converter Fiber to

    RJ45
    > > ?
    > > and when you use directly module Fiber, it's a native solution ?

    > You can get SPF with 1000baseTx (!) hence , yes is might be a RJ45

    > Rahan,

    > When you buy a switch with an SPF /slot/ it is exactly like buying a
    > switch with a GBIC /slot/.

    > You cannot connect anything to it /except/ an SPF module
    > or a GBIC module. These are extra cost items.

    > In turn the GBIC or SPF allows you to connect a variety
    > of different physical cable types.

    > For example -
    > RJ45 terminated Cat6 cable
    > Appropriately terminated Multi-mode fiber
    > Appropriately terminated Single mode fiber

    > The SPF slot is about the same size as an RJ45 socket
    > and in a low resolution web image looks a lot like an RJ45
    > socket but it is not.

    > The SPF system is like the GBIC system except that the
    > modules are smaller.

    > I hope that answers your question. Finally:))

    Thanks You anybody43 for your answer. It's verry full answer !! :)
    Thanks a lot !!

    Best Regards
    Rahan

    Rahan, Aug 10, 2006
  13. Rahan

    Rahan Guest

    "Martin Bilgrav" <> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Rahan" <Rahan@Rahan_badmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all,

    > Hi
    >
    > > Today, a lot of catalysts are provided with Giga Ethernet interface

    (RJ45)
    > > like catalyst 2960.

    > yes - many has 10/100/1000 RJ45 ports.
    >

    > > If i use this port (Giga Ethernet interface) to connect the two switchs,
    > > what will be the differences ?

    > That you use another port.
    >

    > > So, i juste need to understand what differences btw Gbic and Giga

    Ethernet
    > > interface and what is the best choice ?
    > >

    > A port is a port - doesnt matter what interfaces it has.
    > GBIC (older tech) come in many flavors. like fiber, stacking, longrange
    > fibers, and RJ45-1000baseT
    > SPF (Newer Tech) comes in not somany flavors, fiber, longrange fiber and
    > RJ45-10/100/1000 (!)
    > GBIC and SPF are both names/terms for the connecting interfaces. The port
    > "in the other end" is just a regular port, like if it were a 10/100/1000.
    >
    > > Thank You very much !!!
    > >
    > > Best Regards
    > > Rahan
    > >

    > HTH
    > Martin

    Thanks a lot Martin !!!

    Best Regards
    Rahan

    Rahan, Aug 10, 2006
  14. Rahan

    Peter Guest

    Hi Rahan,

    > so, when you said "you could put a RJ45", you mean converter Fiber to RJ45 ?
    > and when you use directly module Fiber, it's a native solution ?

    SFP is "Small Formfactor Pluggable" GBIC that works very similar to a
    full size GBIC, except its much smaller. When you see SFP, just think
    GBIC (but in a physically smaller size). Just like a full size GBIC
    you plug in the appropriate SFP module (the actual GBIC) that you wish
    to use, either Copper or Fibre, etc.

    Cheers..................pk.

    --
    Peter from Auckland.

    Peter, Aug 10, 2006
  15. Rahan

    ITBob Guest

    To add to this discussion there are four types of gigabit ethernet:

    1000baseSX - short wavelength optical max distance about 500m
    1000baseLX - long wavelength optical max distance about 500m
    Both optical methods can use multimode fiber optics, but only LX can use
    single mode. Single mode has a farther max distance, but I am not sure of
    the maximum.

    1000baseCX - shielded twisted pair copper
    1000baseTX - unshielded twisted pair copper. cat5e or cat6 cable required.

    enjoy.

    ITBob, Aug 12, 2006
  16. Rahan

    Sam Wilson Guest

    In article <>,
    "ITBob" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

    > To add to this discussion there are four types of gigabit ethernet:
    >
    > 1000baseSX - short wavelength optical max distance about 500m
    > 1000baseLX - long wavelength optical max distance about 500m
    > Both optical methods can use multimode fiber optics, but only LX can use
    > single mode. Single mode has a farther max distance, but I am not sure of
    > the maximum.
    >
    > 1000baseCX - shielded twisted pair copper
    > 1000baseTX - unshielded twisted pair copper. cat5e or cat6 cable required.

    Cisco have plenty of documentation about SFPs and GBICs that will answer
    Rahan's questions and correct a couple of glaring misconceptions in the
    above. Try starting at
    <http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6577/index.html>.

    Sam

    Sam Wilson, Aug 16, 2006