    My Netware environment will continue otherwise unchanged.

    Many thanks in advance.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Nov 8, 2003

  2. Steve Freides Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    proclaimed in <bojc5a$1f121q$-berlin.de>:

    > I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
    > Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL
    > Server. Do I want my main computer, the one that will run SQL
    > Server, to be a member of a
    > domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
    > "workgroup."
    >
    > My Netware environment will continue otherwise unchanged.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance.

    Do you have a Windows server, such as NT4, or Windows 2000 that is
    a Domain Controller?

    If no, then no you don't. <G>

    Novell had (as of 4 years ago) something called Directory Services.
    Think of a Windows domain as something similar...

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck, Nov 8, 2003

  3. "Thund3rstruck" <> wrote in message
    > Steve Freides Spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and
    > proclaimed in <bojc5a$1f121q$-berlin.de>:
    >
    > > I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
    > > Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL
    > > Server. Do I want my main computer, the one that will run SQL
    > > Server, to be a member of a
    > > domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
    > > "workgroup."
    > >
    > > My Netware environment will continue otherwise unchanged.
    > >
    > > Many thanks in advance.

    > Do you have a Windows server, such as NT4, or Windows 2000 that is
    > a Domain Controller?
    >
    > If no, then no you don't. <G>
    >
    > Novell had (as of 4 years ago) something called Directory Services.
    > Think of a Windows domain as something similar...
    >
    > NOI

    Novell still very much has directory services.

    I don't have a Windows server at all - can my workstation be a Domain
    Controller or do I need a dedicated server?

    TIA.

    -S-
    Steve Freides, Nov 9, 2003
  4. Steve Freides

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 8 Nov 2003 13:20:25 -0500, Steve Freides wrote:

    >I have always used Novell Netware for networking but am setting up a
    >Windows-based network because I'm now going to be running SQL Server. Do I
    >want my main computer, the one that will run SQL Server, to be a member of a
    >domain or a workgroup? The default seems to be a workgroup named
    >"workgroup."

    A domain, (basically) is a collection of NT Servers that provide central
    resources -

    Account database (shared permissions to resources), print server , web
    server, file server. This requires a NT server configured as a Domain
    controller (at least another as a backup controller) then any number of
    standalone servers.

    The workgroup option is pretty much the same, can be any number of
    machines running 'services'. However it has a non-central security
    model, each machine has it's own user database.

    It's been a long time, since using SQL (the MS version) server in a
    domain model, the access was allowed via authenticated domain accounts
    or a member of a specific usergroup (in the domain account manager).
    I think this should not affect access to a SQL database, if the machine
    is simply a workgroup member. IIRC has it's own usernames/password, but
    best to check in a NG like.

    microsoft.public.sqlserver.server

    <snip>

    Me