    Thanks
    John
    , Jun 22, 2006

  2. Tonester Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm looking at getting a movie box set (Sopranos) available for cheap
    > in 2.0. However, other versions that are more expensive are in 5.1 Is
    > there a huge difference in sound quality here?

    Yes, quite huge. 2.0 is stereo only, 5.1 is 6 discrete digital channels. If
    you have a 5.1 system you want the 5.1 version.
    Tonester, Jun 22, 2006

  3. In article <TGBmg.10298$>,
    Tonester <> wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > >
    > > I'm looking at getting a movie box set (Sopranos) available for cheap
    > > in 2.0. However, other versions that are more expensive are in 5.1 Is
    > > there a huge difference in sound quality here?

    > Yes, quite huge. 2.0 is stereo only, 5.1 is 6 discrete digital channels. If
    > you have a 5.1 system you want the 5.1 version.

    Just as a further nudge, I'm sure you'll kick yourself in the future
    for not getting the 5.1 set. Decoder/amplifiers are getting less
    expensive all the time, and I'm sure the day will come sooner than you
    think that you'll buy one!
    Heinrich Galland, Jun 22, 2006
  4. Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    >
    > I'm looking at getting a movie box set (Sopranos) available for cheap
    > in 2.0. However, other versions that are more expensive are in 5.1 Is
    > there a huge difference in sound quality here?
    > Thanks
    > John

    I believe HBO has released this show in 5.1 from the beginning. A set
    offering only 2.0 is probably a bootleg.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Jun 22, 2006
  5. Joshua Zyber Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at getting a movie box set (Sopranos) available for cheap
    > in 2.0. However, other versions that are more expensive are in 5.1
    > Is
    > there a huge difference in sound quality here?

    The 2.0 set is a bootleg. The 5.1 set probably is too if you're shopping
    on eBay.
    Joshua Zyber, Jun 22, 2006