    Also, is the 4500 approaching end-of-life, and being replaced by the
    4500-E, or are they going to be available side-by-side for the
    forseeable future? Thanks.

    ttripp, Jan 15, 2009

  2. ttripp <> writes:
    >Is there any documentation regarding the differences between the 4500
    >and the 4500-E series? Cisco's web site has lots of documentation
    >about each series, but I'd like a head-to-head comparison, if
    >available.

    >Also, is the 4500 approaching end-of-life, and being replaced by the
    >4500-E, or are they going to be available side-by-side for the
    >forseeable future? Thanks.

    I thought the data sheets/web product page to be pretty detailed about
    what the E gets you.. This is more about hardware limits than anything
    software on it.

    I'd imagine that they'll keep around the non-E series for selling the
    older Sup engines (ie. Sup II+, Sup IV and Sup V) systems that they
    still sell pretty well.

    Once those go EOL, the non-E chassis's will probably as well.

    If their marketing says the next generation of the series, its
    probably a safe bet that eventually the non-E systems will be EOL'd at
    some point in the future, but look how long a run they've had with
    this one so far. I can't see a change for a few more years yet.

    Doug McIntyre, Jan 15, 2009

  3. ttripp

    Thrill5 Guest

    "ttripp" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any documentation regarding the differences between the 4500
    > and the 4500-E series? Cisco's web site has lots of documentation
    > about each series, but I'd like a head-to-head comparison, if
    > available.
    >
    > Also, is the 4500 approaching end-of-life, and being replaced by the
    > 4500-E, or are they going to be available side-by-side for the
    > forseeable future? Thanks.

    The E-Chassis uses larger power supplies and a different fan in order to
    provide full PoE power to line cards. All of the 4500 cards will work in a
    4500 chassis, but there are some newer cards that are only support on the
    4500E chassis because they need the additional power requirements of the
    E-Chassis. In terms of switching/routing performance they are the same.

    Thrill5, Jan 16, 2009
  4. ttripp

    bod43 Guest

    On 16 Jan, 02:37, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > "ttripp" <> wrote in message

    > > Is there any documentation regarding the differences between the 4500
    > > and the 4500-E series?  Cisco's web site has lots of documentation
    > > about each series, but I'd like a head-to-head comparison, if
    > > available.

    > > Also, is the 4500 approaching end-of-life, and being replaced by the
    > > 4500-E, or are they going to be available side-by-side for the
    > > forseeable future?  Thanks.

    >  In terms of switching/routing performance they are the same.

    I had a quick look earlier and this is not quite correct.

    -E 24Gbps per line card
    not-E 6Gbps per line card (from memory)

    The -E has a much larger forwarding performance.

    Other major thing is IPv6 in hardware (and maybe better QoS?).

    bod43, Jan 16, 2009
  5. ttripp

    Thrill5 Guest

    >"bod43" <> wrote in message
    >On 16 Jan, 02:37, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    >> "ttripp" <> wrote in message

    >> > Is there any documentation regarding the differences between the 4500
    >> > and the 4500-E series? Cisco's web site has lots of documentation
    >> > about each series, but I'd like a head-to-head comparison, if
    >> > available.

    >> > Also, is the 4500 approaching end-of-life, and being replaced by the
    >> > 4500-E, or are they going to be available side-by-side for the
    >> > forseeable future? Thanks.

    >> In terms of switching/routing performance they are the same.

    >I had a quick look earlier and this is not quite correct.
    >
    >-E 24Gbps per line card
    >not-E 6Gbps per line card (from memory)
    >
    >The -E has a much larger forwarding performance.
    >
    >Other major thing is IPv6 in hardware (and maybe better QoS?).

    You are correct, 24Gbps per line card is only supported on the E-series
    chassis but the other features (QoS, IPv6, etc) are supported by the
    Supervisor 6-E which is supported on both the Classic and E-Series
    chassis's.

    I confused 4000 and 4500 series chassis with the 4500 and 4500E.

    From the price list, the costs of the 4500 and 4500E's are exactly the same,
    which means there is no reason to purchase a 4500. I suspect that Cisco
    will announce EoS on the classic 4500 chassis within the next 6 months, but
    will provide hardware support/replacement for at least 5 to 7 years after
    EoS.

    Thrill5, Jan 16, 2009
  6. ttripp

    ttripp Guest

    On Jan 16, 2:18 am, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > >"bod43" <> wrote in message
    > >On 16 Jan, 02:37, "Thrill5" <> wrote:
    > >> "ttripp" <> wrote in message

    > >>  In terms of switching/routing performance they are the same.

    > >I had a quick look earlier and this is not quite correct.

    > >-E       24Gbps per line card
    > >not-E  6Gbps per line card (from memory)

    > >The -E has a much larger forwarding performance.

    > >Other major thing is IPv6 in hardware (and maybe better QoS?).

    > You are correct, 24Gbps per line card is only supported on the E-series
    > chassis but the other features (QoS, IPv6, etc) are supported by the
    > Supervisor 6-E which is supported on both the Classic and E-Series
    > chassis's.
    >
    > I confused 4000 and 4500 series chassis with the 4500 and 4500E.
    >
    > From the price list, the costs of the 4500 and 4500E's are exactly the same,
    > which means there is no reason to purchase a 4500.  I suspect that Cisco
    > will announce EoS on the classic 4500 chassis within the next 6 months, but
    > will provide hardware support/replacement for at least 5 to 7 years after
    > EoS.- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks. If there's no cost difference, then my decision is obvious:
    go with the 4500-E!

    ttripp, Jan 16, 2009