    course tax. Hey, I would have saved $30-$40 online, but there's no question
    about refurb or used stuff, or any problems occur it's going right back.
    Sanity! :)

    Michael, Dec 15, 2003

  2. Michael

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > I know the main difference between CFI and CFII would be speed...does anyone
    > notice a difference when using either or? From all the great information
    > here and of course the loads of information on the web, I bought the Digital
    > Rebel locally and will be picking it up tomorrow. I need to purchase a CF
    > card and was considering the CFII, but the prices on the CFI's are much
    > cheaper...hey if it's faster memory and will make the camera perform better
    > then I'm all for it!

    Can you even *find* type II CF cards anymore :)

    The type (I or II) has nothing to do with the speed.. It refers to the *size*
    of the card. CFII cards are slightly thicker.. That's it. Cameras that take
    type II flash cards have a wider slot to accommodate the card. The pins are
    the same.

    In the 'old' days, they made the thicker card to hold more memory than the
    thinner type I.. But miniaturization took its course and they can now squeeze
    over 2 Gigabytes into a type I. They're the predominant card.

    The main use for the type II case nowadays is for Microdrives. They require
    the extra thickness to squeeze in all the moving parts.

    Jim Townsend, Dec 15, 2003

  3. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > I know the main difference between CFI and CFII would be speed...does anyone
    > notice a difference when using either or? From all the great information
    > here and of course the loads of information on the web, I bought the Digital
    > Rebel locally and will be picking it up tomorrow. I need to purchase a CF
    > card and was considering the CFII, but the prices on the CFI's are much
    > cheaper...hey if it's faster memory and will make the camera perform better
    > then I'm all for it!
    >
    > I need the unit before Christmas holiday so instead of wasting time on Ebay
    > and the Internet with shipping chaos, I paid a premium price ($989) and of
    > course tax. Hey, I would have saved $30-$40 online, but there's no question
    > about refurb or used stuff, or any problems occur it's going right back.
    > Sanity! :)

    No, the difference is about 1.5 mm in thickness. It MIGHT be that a
    specific type II card would be faster than a specific type I card, but
    this is NOT a certainty. Most cameras wouldn't benefit by a faster card
    in any case, and the CFII card is NOT sure to be faster.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 15, 2003
  4. Michael

    Bill Frank Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > Michael wrote:
    >
    > > I know the main difference between CFI and CFII would be speed...does

    anyone
    > > notice a difference when using either or? From all the great information
    > > here and of course the loads of information on the web, I bought the

    Digital
    > > Rebel locally and will be picking it up tomorrow. I need to purchase a

    CF
    > > card and was considering the CFII, but the prices on the CFI's are much
    > > cheaper...hey if it's faster memory and will make the camera perform

    better
    > > then I'm all for it!

    > Can you even *find* type II CF cards anymore :)
    >
    > The type (I or II) has nothing to do with the speed.. It refers to the

    *size*
    > of the card. CFII cards are slightly thicker.. That's it. Cameras that

    take
    > type II flash cards have a wider slot to accommodate the card. The pins

    are
    > the same.
    >
    > In the 'old' days, they made the thicker card to hold more memory than the
    > thinner type I.. But miniaturization took its course and they can now

    squeeze
    > over 2 Gigabytes into a type I. They're the predominant card.
    >
    > The main use for the type II case nowadays is for Microdrives. They

    require
    > the extra thickness to squeeze in all the moving parts.

    For currently shipping CompactFlash cards, 3GB, 4GB and 6GB cards are all
    Type II.

    Bill Frank
    CompactFlash Association

    Bill Frank, Dec 15, 2003
  5. Michael

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Bill Frank wrote:

    > "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message

    >> Can you even *find* type II CF cards anymore :)

    > For currently shipping CompactFlash cards, 3GB, 4GB and 6GB cards are all
    > Type II.

    Thanks Bill.. Good to know.

    I've never noticed since 3GB+ cards are a bit out of my budget :)

    Jim Townsend, Dec 15, 2003
  6. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Thanks for the information. It really helps a lot!

    Happy holidays!

    Michael, Dec 16, 2003
  7. Michael

    Luis Guest

    On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:41:26 -0600, Jim Townsend <>
    wrote:

    >Michael wrote:
    >
    >> I know the main difference between CFI and CFII would be speed...does anyone
    >> notice a difference when using either or? From all the great information
    >> here and of course the loads of information on the web, I bought the Digital
    >> Rebel locally and will be picking it up tomorrow. I need to purchase a CF
    >> card and was considering the CFII, but the prices on the CFI's are much
    >> cheaper...hey if it's faster memory and will make the camera perform better
    >> then I'm all for it!

    >Can you even *find* type II CF cards anymore :)
    >
    >The type (I or II) has nothing to do with the speed.. It refers to the *size*
    >of the card. CFII cards are slightly thicker.. That's it. Cameras that take
    >type II flash cards have a wider slot to accommodate the card. The pins are
    >the same.

    Are the Type II cards an "older technology" than the Type I cards?

    Which came first? The Type I or Type II cards?

    Luis, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Michael

    Banjopikr1 Guest

    >Are the Type II cards an "older technology" than the Type I cards?
    >
    >Which came first? The Type I or Type II cards?

    Type 1 is the original. Type 2 was introduced to accomdate the MicroDrive,
    which is slightly thicker than a type 1 CF card. Type 2 CF cards originally
    were larger in MB size than type 1 and the same thickness as the microdrive.
    Technology has advanced enough for type 1 cards to reach the gig bite range.

    Banjopikr1, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Luis wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 23:41:26 -0600, Jim Townsend <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Michael wrote:
    >>

    >>>I know the main difference between CFI and CFII would be speed...does anyone
    >>>notice a difference when using either or? From all the great information
    >>>here and of course the loads of information on the web, I bought the Digital
    >>>Rebel locally and will be picking it up tomorrow. I need to purchase a CF
    >>>card and was considering the CFII, but the prices on the CFI's are much
    >>>cheaper...hey if it's faster memory and will make the camera perform better
    >>>then I'm all for it!

    >>Can you even *find* type II CF cards anymore :)
    >>
    >>The type (I or II) has nothing to do with the speed.. It refers to the *size*
    >>of the card. CFII cards are slightly thicker.. That's it. Cameras that take
    >>type II flash cards have a wider slot to accommodate the card. The pins are
    >>the same.

    > Are the Type II cards an "older technology" than the Type I cards?
    >
    > Which came first? The Type I or Type II cards?

    Type I format was first. When the capacity exceeded what could be put
    on a card with the available chips, they merely made a thicker unit
    which could have more than one layer of chips. Also, Microdrives are
    Type II since they need the extra room for the moving parts. The
    technique is still useful for the largest sizes, over 1 GB.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 22, 2003
  10. Michael

    y_p_w Guest

    Luis wrote:

    > Are the Type II cards an "older technology" than the Type I cards?
    >
    > Which came first? The Type I or Type II cards?

    I'm not sure. I've seen a few wireless adapters for PDA's that
    fit in a type II CF slot. Others are type I.

    I'm not sure why the extra thickness is needed, since 1 (maybe 2?)
    GB of flash memory can already be crammed in the type I "form factor".
    Toshiba has managed to cram 512MB into an extremely tiny xD
    card. I think the extra thickness of type II is necessary for
    the 1 inch microdrives - and that might be it.

    I did manage to find a few solid-state CF cards on Yahoo Shopping:

    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/a-c/sim1gbbproxc.html
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/netis/sdcfh256901.html

    There don't appear to be that many Type II cards available,
    except for maybe one from SanDisk, and several from
    SimpleTech

    y_p_w, Dec 23, 2003