Difference between Brother HL2700CN and Lexmark C510?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by I'm a Trampoline, Jul 9, 2005.

  1. The cheapest colour laser both offer. They look identical. Are they?
    I'm a Trampoline, Jul 9, 2005

  2. I'm a Trampoline

    H.O.G Guest

    On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:09:16 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
    <> spoke these fine words:

    >The cheapest colour laser both offer. They look identical. Are they?

    Lexmark is crap, and, whilst Brother make some OK printers, this
    particular one has some real problems (eg displaying a bunch of fonts,
    etc). Also, it has a quite slow first page print (warmup time). As in
    about 1-2 minutes (whatever the specs say).

    My advice: either get a higher end inkjet, or, if you are printing a
    higher volume, pay a little more and get a better one. It will easily
    pay for itself in terms of TCO in no time at all.

    HTH
    H.O.G, Jul 9, 2005

  3. H.O.G wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:09:16 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >

    >>The cheapest colour laser both offer. They look identical. Are they?

    > Lexmark is crap, and, whilst Brother make some OK printers, this
    > particular one has some real problems (eg displaying a bunch of fonts,
    > etc). Also, it has a quite slow first page print (warmup time). As in
    > about 1-2 minutes (whatever the specs say).
    >
    > My advice: either get a higher end inkjet, or, if you are printing a
    > higher volume, pay a little more and get a better one. It will easily
    > pay for itself in terms of TCO in no time at all.

    Do you know another colour laser I should look at? That one's
    networkable (requirement), and comes with 6600 yeild colour catridges.
    Compare that to the closest HP and Epson models which come with a
    sub-standard 2000 and 1500 yield cartridges respectevily.
    I'm a Trampoline, Jul 9, 2005
  4. I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    > The cheapest colour laser both offer. They look identical. Are they?

    I just noticed the next brother model up looks exactly like an Epson
    AcuLaser with a different control panel.
    I'm a Trampoline, Jul 9, 2005
  5. I'm a Trampoline

    Guest

    Have a look at the OKI range of colour lasers.
    , Jul 9, 2005
  6. wrote:
    > Have a look at the OKI range of colour lasers.

    No Macs for the cheap models :( Like Canon and Minolta.
    I'm a Trampoline, Jul 9, 2005
  7. I'm a Trampoline

    Robert Cooze Guest

    H.O.G wrote:
    > On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 11:09:16 +1200, I'm a Trampoline
    > <> spoke these fine words:
    >

    >>The cheapest colour laser both offer. They look identical. Are they?

    > Lexmark is crap, and, whilst Brother make some OK printers, this
    > particular one has some real problems (eg displaying a bunch of fonts,
    > etc). Also, it has a quite slow first page print (warmup time). As in
    > about 1-2 minutes (whatever the specs say).
    >
    > My advice: either get a higher end inkjet, or, if you are printing a
    > higher volume, pay a little more and get a better one. It will easily
    > pay for itself in terms of TCO in no time at all.
    >
    > HTH

    Brother are a verry Cheep brand Lexmark is just as bad they are verry
    small office or realy home machines only. And as for ink jets the ink
    cost more than the machine (well so can a full set of colour toner) Ink
    jets are a throw away machine so are the cheeper lasers.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 9, 2005
  8. Robert Cooze wrote:

    >> Lexmark is crap, and, whilst Brother make some OK printers, this
    >> particular one has some real problems (eg displaying a bunch of fonts,
    >> etc). Also, it has a quite slow first page print (warmup time). As in
    >> about 1-2 minutes (whatever the specs say).
    >>
    >> My advice: either get a higher end inkjet, or, if you are printing a
    >> higher volume, pay a little more and get a better one. It will easily
    >> pay for itself in terms of TCO in no time at all.
    >>
    >> HTH

    > Brother are a verry Cheep brand Lexmark is just as bad they are verry
    > small office or realy home machines only. And as for ink jets the ink
    > cost more than the machine (well so can a full set of colour toner) Ink
    > jets are a throw away machine so are the cheeper lasers.

    I wonder if this is why some brands are not giving full sets of toner
    these days. If they're selling the machines at cost or below in order to
    sell consumables (I don't know if this is the case of not), their
    business model fucks up when people just throw the machine out and buy a
    new one instead of more toner. For Epson's cheapie, they want $490 from
    you after just 1500 colour pages. That's not counting the black catridge.
    I'm a Trampoline, Jul 10, 2005
  9. I'm a Trampoline

    Robert Cooze Guest

    I'm a Trampoline wrote:
    > Robert Cooze wrote:
    >

    >>> Lexmark is crap, and, whilst Brother make some OK printers, this
    >>> particular one has some real problems (eg displaying a bunch of fonts,
    >>> etc). Also, it has a quite slow first page print (warmup time). As in
    >>> about 1-2 minutes (whatever the specs say).
    >>>
    >>> My advice: either get a higher end inkjet, or, if you are printing a
    >>> higher volume, pay a little more and get a better one. It will easily
    >>> pay for itself in terms of TCO in no time at all.
    >>>
    >>> HTH

    >> Brother are a verry Cheep brand Lexmark is just as bad they are verry
    >> small office or realy home machines only. And as for ink jets the ink
    >> cost more than the machine (well so can a full set of colour toner)
    >> Ink jets are a throw away machine so are the cheeper lasers.

    > I wonder if this is why some brands are not giving full sets of toner
    > these days. If they're selling the machines at cost or below in order to
    > sell consumables (I don't know if this is the case of not), their
    > business model fucks up when people just throw the machine out and buy a
    > new one instead of more toner. For Epson's cheapie, they want $490 from
    > you after just 1500 colour pages. That's not counting the black catridge.

    Yup thats about the jist of it. A machine I work on has a 3 year 100,000
    print warrenty it sells for arround the $600 mark (B&W Lazer) service
    cycle is 100,000 prints the service kit is worth much more than the
    machine it is cheepr to sell em a new machine! & they get the warrenty.

    As for the colour machines I have yet to have to service them with this
    company I used to service the big colour copier baced machines with
    fiery rips the maintiance kit on those was arround the $5000 mark but
    the machines were on a contract and at arround $0.50 a full colour print
    everything usaly went smovely.

    Colour is just expencive no mater what way you go.

    Robert Cooze, Jul 10, 2005