    Regards
    Kiran
    , Jan 5, 2005

  2. rave Guest

    Cisco Routers have a different product number and cisco Switches have a
    different product number.
    If you wanna check then you can go to the enable mode of the device and
    type "show version", look at the information for product number and you
    can tell whether it is a switch or a router by looking for that at
    Cisco's site.
    If you have physical access to the switch then you can look at it, a
    switch will hhave many ports like a hub and a router will have
    altogether a different chassis.
    rave, Jan 5, 2005

  3. Guest

    Thanks for the early reply.

    But I need to check it programatically.
    Is there any range that the Product Number of Router or Switch falls?

    one more question:

    Is there any difference between Config files of the Cisco Router and a
    Cisco Switch given the same IOS version?

    Regards
    Kiran
    , Jan 5, 2005
  4. rave Guest

    rave, Jan 5, 2005
  5. Brian V Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Given the same IOS version,
    > Is there any difference between the Config file of a Cisco Router
    > and a Cisco Switch?
    > If not from Config file, How do I know the difference between the
    > two?
    >
    > Any Idea?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > Kiran

    Kiran,

    Your stuck in the "old days", the true definition of a router or switch in
    Cisco speak is no longer valid. These days with the Cisco line pretty much
    everything is a "router" to some extent. They almost all operate at layer 3.
    There are a couple of base entry level switches that are still a layer 2
    entity but that's pretty much it. Take the 3550 series for example, while
    they physically appear to be a switch, they are infact a 12, 24 or 48 port
    ethernet router. Take their router line now...you are usually talking a
    modular type chasis that typically terminates some type of wan line...but
    then again there are switching modules for some of the platforms....and the
    opposite, some of their switch lines have wan cards.....

    With legacy devices it's simple to tell if it's a true switch or a
    router...if its a 1900, 2900, 3500 series it's a true layer 2 switch with no
    layer 3 abilities. If it's a 800, 1600, 1700, 2500, 2600...all the way thru
    12000 series then it's considered a router.

    Assuming the device is properly configured and running properly:

    Easiest way to tell if a "switch" is actually routing is to issue a "show ip
    route" command. If the routing table is empty then it is most likely acting
    as a switch.

    Another way to tell is to look at the config, look for either ip
    default-gateway x.x.x.x which tells you it's doing layer 2 (switching) or ip
    route x.x.x.x x.x.x.x x.x.x.x which tells you that it's doing layer 3
    (routing).

    Yet another way is to look at the config and review the vlan
    interfaces....are there IP addresses assigned to more than one of
    them?..then it's most likely routing. Only one vlan IP'd...it's most acting
    as a switch.

    There really is no straight forward answer to your question...if it's a
    newer device then it depends on how it's configured...if it's a legacy
    device it's dependant on the platform..

    IOS is irrelevant as each platform, whether a router or "switch" uses it's
    own train, you will never have 2 dissimlar devices using the same IOS
    train...version, possible, but not likely.

    Only way to know for sure if it has layer 3 capabilities is to know the
    full product line, which comes with experience.

    -Brian
    Brian V, Jan 5, 2005
  6. Wil Schultz Guest

    wrote:

    > Is there any difference between the Config file of a Cisco Router
    > and a Cisco Switch?

    Well, for one... A switch will have a whole lot of ethernet ports.
    Typically a router will have some WAN ports as well, ATM, Serial or
    Controller ports.

    If you look at the config file and see FastEthernet0/1 -->
    FastEthernet0/48, it's a good chance you are looking at a switch. ;)

    Wil
    my 3¢

    "When everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked
    something."
    Wil Schultz, Jan 5, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    Brian V <> wrote:
    :<> wrote in message
    :news:...
    :> Given the same IOS version,
    :> Is there any difference between the Config file of a Cisco Router
    :> and a Cisco Switch?
    :> If not from Config file, How do I know the difference between the
    :> two?

    :Your stuck in the "old days", the true definition of a router or switch in
    :Cisco speak is no longer valid. These days with the Cisco line pretty much
    :everything is a "router" to some extent. They almost all operate at layer 3.

    :Only way to know for sure if it has layer 3 capabilities is to know the
    :full product line, which comes with experience.

    There's also the sysServices OID. It isn't authoratative in that it
    talks about "primarily" rather than about "able to".

    http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=
    --
    Positrons can be described as electrons traveling backwards in time.
    Certainly many Usenet arguments about the past become clearer when they
    Walter Roberson, Jan 5, 2005
  8. Brian V Guest

    > In article <>,
    > Brian V <> wrote:
    > :<> wrote in message
    > :news:...
    > :> Given the same IOS version,
    > :> Is there any difference between the Config file of a Cisco Router
    > :> and a Cisco Switch?
    > :> If not from Config file, How do I know the difference between the
    > :> two?
    >
    > :Your stuck in the "old days", the true definition of a router or switch
    > in
    > :Cisco speak is no longer valid. These days with the Cisco line pretty
    > much
    > :everything is a "router" to some extent. They almost all operate at layer
    > 3.
    >
    > :Only way to know for sure if it has layer 3 capabilities is to know the
    > :full product line, which comes with experience.
    >
    > There's also the sysServices OID. It isn't authoratative in that it
    > talks about "primarily" rather than about "able to".
    >
    > http://groups.google.ca/groups?selm=
    > --

    Excellent point as usual Walter!
    Brian V, Jan 5, 2005
  9. Router is a networking device that can determine the best path for IP
    packets. A switch is something on the wall that you use to turn the lights
    on or a button that boils the water on a kettle.
    Good luck in your endeavours,
    Roberto

    Bob the Builder, Jan 6, 2005