    I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
    (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?

    Thank in advance
    Rob, Oct 7, 2006

  2. Rob

    beenthere Guest

    "Rob" <> wrote in message
    news:rLOVg.4150$-nyc.rr.com...
    > I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
    > (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
    >
    > Thank in advance

    None.
    beenthere, Oct 7, 2006

  3. Rob

    pcbutts1 Guest

    pcbutts1, Oct 7, 2006
  4. Rob

    Guest

    Rob wrote:
    > I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
    > (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
    >
    > Thank in advance

    Despite what the other two replies said, they *are* different.
    I have a batch of several USB extension cables that work
    properly with USB1 devices ONLY. My regular suppliers sent
    them in error and are sending replacements. I have other
    cables that work well with both USB1 and USB2 devices.

    They look the same except for the color (black USB1 and gray
    USB2) which is probably just a difference in choice by
    different manufacturers rather than a code. They cost the
    same from my source. They didn't know that they are different
    either.

    I don't know exactly how they differ in construction as I
    have not yet taken each type apart. I suspect that it's the
    wires. The USB2 cables may have shielding of the data lines
    to prevent EMI. I don't know - just guessing.
    , Oct 7, 2006
  5. Rob

    richard Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Rob wrote:
    >> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
    >> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
    >>
    >> Thank in advance

    > Despite what the other two replies said, they *are* different.
    > I have a batch of several USB extension cables that work
    > properly with USB1 devices ONLY. My regular suppliers sent
    > them in error and are sending replacements. I have other
    > cables that work well with both USB1 and USB2 devices.
    >
    > They look the same except for the color (black USB1 and gray
    > USB2) which is probably just a difference in choice by
    > different manufacturers rather than a code. They cost the
    > same from my source. They didn't know that they are different
    > either.
    >
    > I don't know exactly how they differ in construction as I
    > have not yet taken each type apart. I suspect that it's the
    > wires. The USB2 cables may have shielding of the data lines
    > to prevent EMI. I don't know - just guessing.

    http://www.skysis.com.tw/product-cable-usb20.htm

    If your computer is USB2 designed, then it should also be backward
    engineered to accept 1.
    If not, you got screwed.
    Although I did buy a 2port card once and it has never worked on my laptop.
    Bad card? maybe. No matter. I just use external plug in ports now.
    richard, Oct 7, 2006
  6. Rob

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 14:23:19 GMT, "Rob" <> wrote:

    > I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
    >(1) and an USB2 cable, if any?

    None.

    >Thank in advance

    Who?

    Barry
    =====
    Home page
    http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og
    Barry OGrady, Oct 8, 2006
  7. Rob

    Guest

    richard wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Rob wrote:
    > >> I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between an USB
    > >> (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?
    > >>
    > >> Thank in advance

    > > Despite what the other two replies said, they *are* different.
    > > I have a batch of several USB extension cables that work
    > > properly with USB1 devices ONLY. My regular suppliers sent
    > > them in error and are sending replacements. I have other
    > > cables that work well with both USB1 and USB2 devices.
    > >
    > > They look the same except for the color (black USB1 and gray
    > > USB2) which is probably just a difference in choice by
    > > different manufacturers rather than a code. They cost the
    > > same from my source. They didn't know that they are different
    > > either.
    > >
    > > I don't know exactly how they differ in construction as I
    > > have not yet taken each type apart. I suspect that it's the
    > > wires. The USB2 cables may have shielding of the data lines
    > > to prevent EMI. I don't know - just guessing.
    > >

    > http://www.skysis.com.tw/product-cable-usb20.htm
    >
    > If your computer is USB2 designed, then it should also be backward
    > engineered to accept 1.
    > If not, you got screwed.
    > Although I did buy a 2port card once and it has never worked on my laptop.
    > Bad card? maybe. No matter. I just use external plug in ports now.

    Just to clarify something to avoid confusing some readers :
    I'm talking about external USB extension cables. These are
    most often used with cabinets (cases) that do not have front
    USB ports. They're very useful for avoiding having to go to
    the rear of the cabinet everytime one wants to plug or
    unplug a USB peripheral.

    The USB1-only cables do not even recognise USB2 devices
    properly, but function normally with USB1 devices. I've
    tested sample cables from different sources. E.g., A friend
    had such an extension cable that came bundled with a thumb
    drive. The drive works normally when plugged directly into
    his rear USB port, but crawls at a snail's pace when
    connected via the extension cable.

    And yes, I'm talking about computers with USB2 ports, not
    compatibility between USB1 and USB2. It's the cables that
    caused problems. It's probable that the wires used are
    simply not good enough to cope with the much higher data
    rates of USB2, rather than being designed specifically for
    USB1.
    , Oct 8, 2006
  8. Rob

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rob" wrote in message
    > I know about USB vs USB2 in general. what's the difference between
    > an USB
    > (1) and an USB2 cable, if any?

    There are different compliance testing required for USB2 cable to
    support the high data rate. See
    http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance and
    http://www.usb.org/developers/compliance/cable/. If you want to use
    USB2 devices, make sure you get USB2 cables; otherwise, you may end up
    getting old USB1 stock. USB 2.0 is 40 times faster than USB 1.1, and
    USB 1.1 is 10 times faster than USB 1.0. Get cables that are designed
    for the higher data rate (i.e., USB2). Do you use CAT3 cables if you
    want reliable a 100Mbps data rate or do you use CAT5 cable?

    There are differences between USB1 and USB2 cables. USB2 has extra
    shielding (>= 65% tinned copper braided shield), a drain wire (in USB2
    to support USB1 low-speed), and a different rate of twist for
    impedance. You can read the USB 2.0 spec
    (http://www.usb.org/developers/docs/usb_20_05122006.zip) which shows
    the difference between full/high-speed cables (fig. 6.3) and low-speed
    cables (fig. 6.4). USB2 (full-speed) goes to 5 meters, USB1
    (low-speed) to 3 meters (see http://www.usb.org/about/faq/ans5/).
    Vanguard, Oct 8, 2006