    working properly. Could my laziness of not turning the comp off have ruined
    it?

    Thanks, Brad

    Bradley Burton, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Bradley Burton

    Michael-NC Guest

    "Bradley Burton" <> wrote in message
    news:ejmdc.101730$K91.251447@attbi_s02...
    > When i first installed my modem, the voice telephone was working, but not
    > really. I was lazy so I opened my computer again (while it was on) and I
    > started putting the modem out and in the slot. Now the voice telephone
    > doesn't work at all, but in the Device Manager it says that the device is
    > working properly. Could my laziness of not turning the comp off have

    ruined
    > it?
    >
    > Thanks, Brad

    You should have posted this on April first.

    Doh!

    Michael-NC, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Bradley Burton

    Thor Guest

    Most likely you fried it. PCI and ISA slots are not hot-swappable, and
    pulling out a card or putting it in while powered up could easily result in
    a damaged card, and/or motherboard.

    Thor, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Bradley Burton

    Plato Guest

    Bradley Burton wrote:

    > working properly. Could my laziness of not turning the comp off have ruined
    > it?

    IT's the best way to fry parts, including your motherboard.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Bradley Burton

    Jerry G. Guest

    Either the card is damaged, or the mother board is damaged, or both. You
    will have to try another modem to verify. DO NOT use this card in another
    slot until you know for sure that it is not defective. If there is a short
    in the card, it can do more damage to the computer if tried in another slot
    to test.

    NEVER hot swap boards in computer. This is a way to have a disaster!

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com