Didn't mean to dive -- Canon Rebel

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Dennis Bathory-Kitsz, Apr 21, 2007.

  1. Hi all,

    I'm way out of the country in rural Portugal, and had a fall off a rock
    ledge into a river with my audio gear and Canon Digital Rebel.

    After disassembly and drying, everything is working except the camera
    and a couple broken ribs. The ribs are healing, the audio gear is all
    cleaned and back to operation, but I'm at a loss to get any further with
    the camera.

    I've disassembled the first level of the camera and the outer lens
    assembly, cleaned the connectors, and let it all dry completely before
    putting it back together. I've got nothing. The last thing I remember
    when coming out of the water is the flash popping open (the camera was
    off) and the mirror mechanism moving.

    Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    my homeowner's policy won't cover it. And I'm far from anywhere with an
    affordable replacement or any kind of repair service. I have seven days
    left here to work.

    Any suggestions are welcome, with copies (pretty please, as I'm on a
    very slow dialup) to bathory[at]maltedmedia[dot]com

    Many many thanks,
    Dennis

    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz, Apr 21, 2007

  2. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Annika1980 Guest

    On Apr 21, 12:23 pm, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <> wrote:

    > Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    > my homeowner's policy won't cover it.

    Sorry to hear about your stolen camera.

    Annika1980, Apr 21, 2007

  3. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Private Guest

    "Annika1980" <> wrote in message
    > On Apr 21, 12:23 pm, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <> wrote:
    >

    >> Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    >> my homeowner's policy won't cover it.

    > Sorry to hear about your stolen camera.

    Good thing you posted under an internet handle and not your real name.

    Private, Apr 21, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <> wrote:

    > I've disassembled the first level of the camera and the outer lens
    > assembly, cleaned the connectors, and let it all dry completely before
    > putting it back together. I've got nothing. The last thing I remember
    > when coming out of the water is the flash popping open (the camera was
    > off) and the mirror mechanism moving.

    Dennis-

    It is possible there is still some moisture in the works. You might try
    baking the camera body in an oven at just over 100 degrees F (40 degrees
    C?) for an hour or so. I fear anything hotter might cause damage.

    Are you sure your battery hasn't run down?

    Fred

    Fred McKenzie, Apr 21, 2007
  5. Fred McKenzie wrote:
    > It is possible there is still some moisture in the works. You might try
    > baking the camera body in an oven at just over 100 degrees F (40 degrees
    > C?) for an hour or so. I fear anything hotter might cause damage.
    >
    > Are you sure your battery hasn't run down?

    Fred, many thanks for the ideas.

    The batteries are both charged; the charger and one of the batteries
    weren't with me, and suffered no damage.

    The camera has now been out of the water and open for four days, and the
    air here is very dry and breezy. At this point, even the moisture in the
    inner part of the lens is evaporated, and with the water so clear, there
    was no grit to speak of (full cleaning when I get home, though).

    I'm wondering if an onboard fuse (one of those surface-mount ones)
    opened up, and if someone might know if that's possible, and if so,
    where it is? I don't want to go any deeper into those sub-millimeter
    connectors (which are all cleaned and in good shape) unless I really
    have to.

    I thought it might be the display, but I have one microdrive which would
    be heard spinning up if the power were working. But it's not spinning
    up, so no power is getting through. The microswitches are fine (the
    battery compartment, the battery door, the CF door).

    Dennis

    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz, Apr 21, 2007
  6. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:12:18 +0100, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:

    > The camera has now been out of the water and open for four days, and the
    > air here is very dry and breezy. At this point, even the moisture in the
    > inner part of the lens is evaporated, and with the water so clear, there
    > was no grit to speak of (full cleaning when I get home, though).
    >
    > I'm wondering if an onboard fuse (one of those surface-mount ones)
    > opened up, and if someone might know if that's possible, and if so,
    > where it is? I don't want to go any deeper into those sub-millimeter
    > connectors (which are all cleaned and in good shape) unless I really
    > have to.
    >
    > I thought it might be the display, but I have one microdrive which would
    > be heard spinning up if the power were working. But it's not spinning
    > up, so no power is getting through. The microswitches are fine (the
    > battery compartment, the battery door, the CF door).

    Are you sure that they're all microswitches? Sometimes
    capacitance switches (common in keyboards, PDAs, etc.) are used
    instead and they're more open and easily contaminated. As a last
    resort if there's no alternative beyond scrapping the Rebel you
    might want to try spraying around some of the switches, especially
    the power switch using a spray can of "contact cleaner and
    lubricant". I've never used it on any electronic device that was
    immersed, but it seems to penetrate well as it almost always helps
    with devices that shouldn't be opened or aren't worth the effort.
    It's available from most electronic distributors, Radio Shack, etc.

    ASAAR, Apr 21, 2007
  7. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Lee K Guest

    > On Apr 21, 12:23 pm, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz <> wrote:
    >

    >> Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    >> my homeowner's policy won't cover it.

    > Sorry to hear about your stolen camera.

    I thought he prevented the theft but the mugger knocked him off a ledge into
    a river.

    Lee K, Apr 21, 2007
  8. Lee K wrote:
    > I thought he prevented the theft but the mugger knocked him off a ledge into
    > a river.

    Oh, it was dramatic, but not that way. :)

    A group of us were helping to develop a trail along a river, and I was
    wearing bifocals -- which I never wear for hiking, but forgot to swap
    out after driving. I misjudged a leg-reach down with my left leg, and my
    right one was hung up and propelled me straight back into the river,
    where I hit some submerged rocks but kept the gear from hitting
    anything.

    I had the camera, lenses, Microtrack 2496 with two external power
    supplies, various batteries, flash cards, and peripherals. Quite a
    sight. Nobody photographed it, though. The Canon is the only SLR at the
    moment, and the other cameras are mostly for quick documentation.

    Dennis

    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz, Apr 21, 2007
  9. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Pat Guest

    On Apr 21, 2:30 pm, ASAAR <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 19:12:18 +0100, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
    > > The camera has now been out of the water and open for four days, and the
    > > air here is very dry and breezy. At this point, even the moisture in the
    > > inner part of the lens is evaporated, and with the water so clear, there
    > > was no grit to speak of (full cleaning when I get home, though).

    > > I'm wondering if an onboard fuse (one of those surface-mount ones)
    > > opened up, and if someone might know if that's possible, and if so,
    > > where it is? I don't want to go any deeper into those sub-millimeter
    > > connectors (which are all cleaned and in good shape) unless I really
    > > have to.

    > > I thought it might be the display, but I have one microdrive which would
    > > be heard spinning up if the power were working. But it's not spinning
    > > up, so no power is getting through. The microswitches are fine (the
    > > battery compartment, the battery door, the CF door).

    > Are you sure that they're all microswitches? Sometimes
    > capacitance switches (common in keyboards, PDAs, etc.) are used
    > instead and they're more open and easily contaminated. As a last
    > resort if there's no alternative beyond scrapping the Rebel you
    > might want to try spraying around some of the switches, especially
    > the power switch using a spray can of "contact cleaner and
    > lubricant". I've never used it on any electronic device that was
    > immersed, but it seems to penetrate well as it almost always helps
    > with devices that shouldn't be opened or aren't worth the effort.
    > It's available from most electronic distributors, Radio Shack, etc.

    electrical contact cleaner is a good bet, but be careful around some
    plastics.

    Start with the battery contects and the on/off switch.

    Blow drier on low migh get rid of some water -- or compressed air.

    Now you know why they make those waterproof, single use cameras.

    Also try putting it out in the sun and see what evaporates (or as
    mentioned, try an oven).

    Other than that, leave it on the table in the cafe and hope someone
    steals it.

    Pat, Apr 21, 2007
  10. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Eatmorepies Guest

    ..

    > Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    > my homeowner's policy won't cover it. And I'm far from anywhere with an
    > affordable replacement or any kind of repair service. I have seven days
    > left here to work.

    Can't help with mending the camera but it may pay you to re-read your
    domestic insurance policy. Mine covers me for accidental damage, it even
    covers me for being dull. I once left a rucksack full of mountain bike gear
    on the back of the car and drove off - the insurance company paid up.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Apr 21, 2007
  11. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Hoover Guest

    don't forget the oregano

    Hoover, Apr 21, 2007
  12. Pat wrote:
    > Now you know why they make those waterproof, single use cameras.

    I wasn't actually planning to go into the water. :)

    Everything is now stone dry in the camera, and I've cleaned up the
    contacts; there was cleaner here in the small studio where we're in
    residence.

    But no luck. So I'm back to the question: Does anybody actually know
    anything about this camera's workings, or is it as much a guess as I've
    been making?

    At this point, the behavior is precisely like the power supply is being
    blocked by an open fuse or crowbar; the mirror is halfway up, so the
    electronic trip motor or latch is not being engaged either.

    Finally, for when I get back to the U.S., has anyone had one of these
    repaired? It's the original Digital Rebel, not the XT or XTi versions.
    Possible? Cost?

    Dennis

    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz, Apr 22, 2007
  13. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    DD-Diver Guest

    "Dennis Bathory-Kitsz" <> schreef in bericht
    > Pat wrote:
    > > Now you know why they make those waterproof, single use cameras.

    > I wasn't actually planning to go into the water. :)
    >
    > Everything is now stone dry in the camera, and I've cleaned up the
    > contacts; there was cleaner here in the small studio where we're in
    > residence.
    >
    > But no luck. So I'm back to the question: Does anybody actually know
    > anything about this camera's workings, or is it as much a guess as I've
    > been making?
    >
    > At this point, the behavior is precisely like the power supply is being
    > blocked by an open fuse or crowbar; the mirror is halfway up, so the
    > electronic trip motor or latch is not being engaged either.
    >
    > Finally, for when I get back to the U.S., has anyone had one of these
    > repaired? It's the original Digital Rebel, not the XT or XTi versions.
    > Possible? Cost?
    >
    > Dennis

    Check e-bay for a second hand one, probably cheaper!

    yeah,... I'm Dutch.....

    DD-Diver, Apr 22, 2007
  14. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Savageduck Guest

    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
    > Lee K wrote:
    >> I thought he prevented the theft but the mugger knocked him off a ledge into
    >> a river.

    > Oh, it was dramatic, but not that way. :)
    >
    > A group of us were helping to develop a trail along a river, and I was
    > wearing bifocals -- which I never wear for hiking, but forgot to swap
    > out after driving. I misjudged a leg-reach down with my left leg, and my
    > right one was hung up and propelled me straight back into the river,
    > where I hit some submerged rocks but kept the gear from hitting
    > anything.
    >
    > I had the camera, lenses, Microtrack 2496 with two external power
    > supplies, various batteries, flash cards, and peripherals. Quite a
    > sight. Nobody photographed it, though. The Canon is the only SLR at the
    > moment, and the other cameras are mostly for quick documentation.
    >
    > Dennis

    … and then it was stolen!??

    Savageduck, Apr 22, 2007
  15. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > The camera has now been out of the water and open for four days, and the
    > air here is very dry and breezy. At this point, even the moisture in the
    > inner part of the lens is evaporated, and with the water so clear, there
    > was no grit to speak of (full cleaning when I get home, though).

    Still, when water gets stuck in between closely-spaced objects (like some
    types of switches), it won't air-dry for quite some time - often weeks, or
    even months.

    > I'm wondering if an onboard fuse (one of those surface-mount ones)
    > opened up, and if someone might know if that's possible, and if so,
    > where it is? I don't want to go any deeper into those sub-millimeter
    > connectors (which are all cleaned and in good shape) unless I really
    > have to.

    Somewhere out there, there is a guy who opened his up to take out the IR
    hot filter, and I remember he blew the microfuse, and pointed out where it
    was. You might want to start by googling and looking at the various IR
    conversion sites for the Rebel.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Apr 22, 2007
  16. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Marvin Guest

    Dennis Bathory-Kitsz wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm way out of the country in rural Portugal, and had a fall off a rock
    > ledge into a river with my audio gear and Canon Digital Rebel.
    >
    > After disassembly and drying, everything is working except the camera
    > and a couple broken ribs. The ribs are healing, the audio gear is all
    > cleaned and back to operation, but I'm at a loss to get any further with
    > the camera.
    >
    > I've disassembled the first level of the camera and the outer lens
    > assembly, cleaned the connectors, and let it all dry completely before
    > putting it back together. I've got nothing. The last thing I remember
    > when coming out of the water is the flash popping open (the camera was
    > off) and the mirror mechanism moving.
    >
    > Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    > my homeowner's policy won't cover it. And I'm far from anywhere with an
    > affordable replacement or any kind of repair service. I have seven days
    > left here to work.
    >
    > Any suggestions are welcome, with copies (pretty please, as I'm on a
    > very slow dialup) to bathory[at]maltedmedia[dot]com
    >
    > Many many thanks,
    > Dennis

    If the sensor got wet, it is gone. And other electronics
    are also susceptible to water damage. A few years back,
    someone whose camera got dunked, and he shared the outcome
    with us all. After he let it dry out completely, he could
    still get images, but they were wildly distorted, like
    abstract art.

    Marvin, Apr 22, 2007
  17. writes:

    >I'm wondering if an onboard fuse (one of those surface-mount ones)
    >opened up, and if someone might know if that's possible, and if so,
    >where it is? I don't want to go any deeper into those sub-millimeter
    >connectors (which are all cleaned and in good shape) unless I really
    >have to.

    Did you remove both batteries from the camera immediately? There is the
    main power battery, plus a second lithium coin cell that provides clock
    backup. If one was left in, power was still applied to some circuitry,
    and you may have accelerated corrosion damage to that circuitry.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Apr 22, 2007
  18. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Robert Coe Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 13:56:03 -0400, Marvin <> wrote:
    : If the sensor got wet, it is gone. And other electronics
    : are also susceptible to water damage. A few years back,
    : someone whose camera got dunked, and he shared the outcome
    : with us all. After he let it dry out completely, he could
    : still get images, but they were wildly distorted, like
    : abstract art.

    Sounds as though the emerging advice is to buy a new compatible camera body
    and concentrate on saving the lenses.

    Robert Coe, Apr 22, 2007
  19. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 10:53:59 +0100, Dennis Bathory-Kitsz
    <> wrote:

    >Finally, for when I get back to the U.S., has anyone had one of these
    >repaired? It's the original Digital Rebel, not the XT or XTi versions.
    >Possible? Cost?

    Unfortunately, as far as cost is concerned, without knowing what's
    wrong, it's almost impossibble to say what it'll take to fix it, and
    the cost to do so.
    The advice re: drying you've gotten here is pretty good. If, as you
    say, the mirror is half-up, the camera either took a shock, or it
    turned on when it hit the water. Either way, the repairs needed would
    be pretty much unknown until someone who knows what's what looks at
    it.
    The problem is, in things like cameras, the failure modes aren't all
    known; they don't all fail the same way from the same cause (say,
    being dunked during a fall that's obviously pretty hard). :-(
    If it dries out OK, and still doesn't work, chances are the problem is
    electrical; the cure can be simple (low $), or so high-$ that it's
    cheaper to buy another camera. Used DRebels are easily available.
    Bummer.

    John Edwards' campaign records showed Monday
    that he paid eight hundred dollars for two
    haircuts in Beverly Hills. There's no shame
    in what he did. John Edwards represents the
    downtrodden and the powerless in America,
    and they deserve the very best.

    Bill Funk, Apr 22, 2007
  20. Dennis Bathory-Kitsz

    Bill Funk Guest

    On Sat, 21 Apr 2007 20:26:25 +0100, "Eatmorepies"
    <> wrote:

    >.
    >>
    >> Since it wasn't stolen or wrecked in a car crash or something similar,
    >> my homeowner's policy won't cover it. And I'm far from anywhere with an
    >> affordable replacement or any kind of repair service. I have seven days
    >> left here to work.
    >>

    >Can't help with mending the camera but it may pay you to re-read your
    >domestic insurance policy. Mine covers me for accidental damage, it even
    >covers me for being dull. I once left a rucksack full of mountain bike gear
    >on the back of the car and drove off - the insurance company paid up.
    >
    >John

    Mine (USAA) will, too, but because I have a rider for the gear; about
    $15/year, IIRC.
    Different insurance companies will handle this differently, of course.
    A romp through the policy can be very informative.

    Bill Funk, Apr 22, 2007