    standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
    contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

    Peter

    peter, Oct 28, 2007

  2. peter

    Gordon Guest

    On 2007-10-28, peter <> wrote:

    > ... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
    > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U
    >
    > With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
    > standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
    > contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

    Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.

    MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
    the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.

    BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

    Gordon, Oct 28, 2007

  3. peter

    Squiggle Guest

    Gordon wrote:
    > On 2007-10-28, peter <> wrote:
    >> ... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
    >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U
    >>
    >> With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
    >> standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
    >> contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.
    >>

    > Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.
    >
    > MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
    > the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.
    >
    > BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

    Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
    something more rewarding to do with your lives?

    Squiggle, Oct 28, 2007
  4. peter

    peter Guest

    Squiggle wrote:
    > Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
    > something more rewarding to do with your lives?

    It is not about Microsoft. I'd argue the same against any company that used
    unlawful and unethical means to stifle innovation, shut out competition and
    rip off consumers.

    Peter

    peter, Oct 28, 2007
  5. On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:54:23 +1300, Squiggle wrote:

    > Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing?

    No - so long as M$ keeps on demonstrably screwing over the public.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Oct 28, 2007
  6. peter

    Cima Guest

    On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:45:42 +1300, peter <> wrote:

    >Squiggle wrote:
    >> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
    >> something more rewarding to do with your lives?

    >It is not about Microsoft. I'd argue the same against any company that used
    >unlawful and unethical means to stifle innovation, shut out competition and
    >rip off consumers.

    Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

    Cima, Oct 28, 2007
  7. peter

    peter Guest

    Cima wrote:

    > Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

    Such as?
    Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
    scale to match Microsoft.

    peter, Oct 28, 2007
  8. peter

    peterwn Guest

    On Oct 28, 4:54 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    > Gordon wrote:
    > > On 2007-10-28, peter <> wrote:
    > >> ... that Microsoft wants to lock you in?
    > >>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCZ98bL1Y0U

    > >> With ooxml, Microsoft seeks official recognition for their proprietary
    > >> standard, so as to shut out innovation and competitors. Clearly, this is
    > >> contrary to the whole purpose of published standards.

    > > Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.

    > > MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
    > > the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.

    > > BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

    > Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
    > something more rewarding to do with your lives?

    Oh! Are you an alias of Brett Roberts, Mickey Mouse, Impossible or
    Fred Dagg, then?

    peterwn, Oct 28, 2007
  9. peter

    Squiggle Guest

    peterwn wrote:
    > On Oct 28, 4:54 pm, Squiggle <> wrote:
    >> Gordon wrote:
    >>> Did not MS have 78 cruise missiles explode right on this idea of theirs.
    >>> MS was trying to make their standard acceptable, as in lets widen the def of
    >>> the std. Then we will stuff out the other stuff.
    >>> BTW, Ms only wants one $$$, locking one in will not always achieve this.

    >> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing? Surely you can find
    >> something more rewarding to do with your lives?

    > Oh! Are you an alias of Brett Roberts, Mickey Mouse, Impossible or
    > Fred Dagg, then?

    Nope, i'm just me.

    Squiggle, Oct 28, 2007
  10. peter

    sam Guest

    peter wrote:
    > Cima wrote:
    >> Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

    > Such as?
    > Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
    > scale to match Microsoft.

    Its way more expensive to be locked in by AutoCad or Digidesign Protools
    though.

    sam, Oct 28, 2007
  11. peter

    thingy Guest

    peter wrote:
    > Cima wrote:
    >> Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

    > Such as?
    > Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
    > scale to match Microsoft.

    Oh lets see....just about any American company....I can name a few here,

    1) Apple
    2) Oracle
    3) Sun
    4) SCO
    5) EMC

    The first three I think "hate" MS only because MS has been more
    effective at ringing out every last $ from a customer than them....

    EMC might be the new greedy kid on the block but its got wallet rape
    down pat IMHO....

    MS is nothing special, IMHO, its just better at it....oh and US
    companies dont have the monopoly on being greedy....I have come across a
    few single traders/ nz companies with the same mind set....they just are
    not on the same scale...

    regards

    Thing

    thingy, Oct 28, 2007
  12. peter

    geoff Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    > On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:54:23 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >
    >> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing?

    > No - so long as M$ keeps on demonstrably screwing over the public.

    Why do MS get shit for treating customers like slaves, whereas Apple just
    get groupies that are only equalled in religous fervour to Liniots, for
    doing far worse things (but in a pretty colour) ?

    geoff

    geoff, Oct 28, 2007
  13. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 16:54:23 +1300, Squiggle wrote:
    >>
    >>> Do you guys ever get bored with the MS bashing?

    >> No - so long as M$ keeps on demonstrably screwing over the public.

    >Why do MS get shit for treating customers like slaves, whereas Apple just
    >get groupies that are only equalled in religous fervour to Liniots, for
    >doing far worse things (but in a pretty colour) ?

    Excellent question :)

    I suspect the answer is *how* you get screwed over.
    MS seem to decide how things will be and simply do that ... annoying large
    numbers of people.
    Apple seem to design things and launch them with lots of "WOW". Perhaps it's
    as simple as good marketing vs crappy marketing ? Seems to me that apple
    have lots of gadgets that many "can't do without" ... where MS don't. The
    apple groupies have decided yes, that IS what we want before they buy 'it'
    perhaps. :)

    I have to say that MS came close with their recent launch of the tabletop
    (literally) PC. I wanted one immediately ... then they said how much it was
    (thousands .. US). I suspect it's now a great idea, buried.
    How do they do it ? I can only ascribe it to mr. cock up.

    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 29, 2007
  14. On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:24:51 +0000, Bruce Sinclair wrote:

    > I have to say that MS came close with their recent launch of the tabletop
    > (literally) PC. I wanted one immediately ... then they said how much it was
    > (thousands .. US). I suspect it's now a great idea, buried.

    It was an interesting idea, but hardly made from cutting edge technology.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Oct 29, 2007
  15. peter

    peter Guest

    geoff wrote:
    > Jonathan Walker wrote:
    >
    > Why do MS get shit for treating customers like slaves

    No, read the OP. The objection is to MS using unethical means to try and
    subvert proper consideration of international standards. They were caught
    using unethical & unlawful means (ie bribery) to push their substandard
    proposal through.
    Has Apple or Linux ever been caught doing this?

    Peter

    peter, Oct 29, 2007
  16. peter

    peter Guest

    thingy wrote:
    > peter wrote:
    >> Cima wrote:
    >>> Heh, that'd be a shitload of companies then.

    >> Such as?
    >> Not many others have been found guilty in court, of monopoly abuse on a
    >> scale to match Microsoft.

    > Oh lets see....just about any American company....I can name a few here,
    > 1) Apple
    > 2) Oracle
    > 3) Sun
    > 4) SCO
    > 5) EMC

    Please cite.
    (That is, court findings of monopoly abuse on a scale to match Microsoft.)

    Peter

    peter, Oct 29, 2007
  17. peter

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:24:51 GMT,
    z (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:

    >In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >>Jonathan Walker wrote:

    >>> No - so long as M$ keeps on demonstrably screwing over the public.

    >>Why do MS get shit for treating customers like slaves, whereas Apple just
    >>get groupies that are only equalled in religous fervour to Liniots, for
    >>doing far worse things (but in a pretty colour) ?

    >Excellent question :)
    >
    >I suspect the answer is *how* you get screwed over.
    >MS seem to decide how things will be and simply do that ... annoying large
    >numbers of people.
    >Apple seem to design things and launch them with lots of "WOW". Perhaps it's
    >as simple as good marketing vs crappy marketing ? Seems to me that apple
    >have lots of gadgets that many "can't do without" ... where MS don't. The
    >apple groupies have decided yes, that IS what we want before they buy 'it'
    >perhaps. :)
    >
    >I have to say that MS came close with their recent launch of the tabletop
    >(literally) PC. I wanted one immediately ... then they said how much it was
    >(thousands .. US). I suspect it's now a great idea, buried.
    >How do they do it ? I can only ascribe it to mr. cock up.

    While the Mac hardware is expensive, their new OS (Mac OS X Leopard) is actually
    quite reasonable in price. There's only one version (no seperation between home
    and business) in which you get the lot.
    There are two licences, the single machine one (NZ$199), or a family one
    (NZ$299) which covers up to 5 machines in a home.

    Vista Ultimate (full retail version) is $785 at Tastech, $998 at DSE.

    5x $998.00 = $4990.00 for Vista versus $299 for Leopard.

    or maybe we could compare Vista Home Premium
    5 x $598 = $2990.

    Craig Shore, Oct 31, 2007
  18. In article <>, Craig Shore <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:24:51 GMT,
    > (Bruce Sinclair) wrote:
    >>In article <>, "geoff"

    > <> wrote:

    >>>Why do MS get shit for treating customers like slaves, whereas Apple just
    >>>get groupies that are only equalled in religous fervour to Liniots, for
    >>>doing far worse things (but in a pretty colour) ?

    >>Excellent question :)
    >>
    >>I suspect the answer is *how* you get screwed over.
    >>MS seem to decide how things will be and simply do that ... annoying large
    >>numbers of people.
    >>Apple seem to design things and launch them with lots of "WOW". Perhaps it's
    >>as simple as good marketing vs crappy marketing ? Seems to me that apple
    >>have lots of gadgets that many "can't do without" ... where MS don't. The
    >>apple groupies have decided yes, that IS what we want before they buy 'it'
    >>perhaps. :)
    >>
    >>I have to say that MS came close with their recent launch of the tabletop
    >>(literally) PC. I wanted one immediately ... then they said how much it was
    >>(thousands .. US). I suspect it's now a great idea, buried.
    >>How do they do it ? I can only ascribe it to mr. cock up.

    >While the Mac hardware is expensive, their new OS (Mac OS X Leopard) is
    > actually
    >quite reasonable in price. There's only one version (no seperation between home
    >and business) in which you get the lot.

    ... perhaps indicating more clearly that yes, it's down to differences in
    marketing and little else ?

    >There are two licences, the single machine one (NZ$199), or a family one
    >(NZ$299) which covers up to 5 machines in a home.
    >
    >Vista Ultimate (full retail version) is $785 at Tastech, $998 at DSE.
    >
    >5x $998.00 = $4990.00 for Vista versus $299 for Leopard.
    >
    >or maybe we could compare Vista Home Premium
    >5 x $598 = $2990.

    Marketing ? Starting to look like a distinct trend. :)

    Thanks for that.

    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 1, 2007
  19. peter

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Craig Shore <> wrote in

    > While the Mac hardware is expensive, their new OS (Mac OS X Leopard)
    > is actually quite reasonable in price.

    Does it work out of the box onto my Intel p4 2.4 with 1 gig of ram?

    No it looks for some bios string still?

    If they fix that, I think MacOS will take off.
    Ilike both Vista, (if you have hardware to throw at it) and Mac OS10.

    My big problem with Macs, that I see at least weekly, is the lack of point
    and print for drivers.

    You know, that share the printer and type in unc path and just print from
    you workstation to the new printer thing that windows seems to do so well.
    Why has Apple not fixed this in all their time of making an OS?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Nov 1, 2007
  20. In message <Xns99DBCB88DD50Bdaveytaynospamplshot@203.97.37.6>, Dave Taylor
    wrote:

    > Craig Shore <> wrote in
    >
    >> While the Mac hardware is expensive, their new OS (Mac OS X Leopard)
    >> is actually quite reasonable in price.

    > Does it work out of the box onto my Intel p4 2.4 with 1 gig of ram?
    >
    > No it looks for some bios string still?

    Worse than that, it's tied to a TPM chip.

    > If they fix that, I think MacOS will take off.

    I doubt it. Not enough hardware support.

    > Ilike both Vista, (if you have hardware to throw at it) and Mac OS10.
    >
    > My big problem with Macs, that I see at least weekly, is the lack of point
    > and print for drivers.
    >
    > You know, that share the printer and type in unc path and just print from
    > you workstation to the new printer thing that windows seems to do so well.

    You mean you actually have to _type_ in a printer name, as opposed to just
    pick it from a browser list?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 1, 2007