    I would really like to know if having filesharing on tcp/ip but no files
    shared has made my win98se computer any more vulnerable than normal to
    hackers while on the net?

    kiwivalve, Feb 21, 2004

  2. "kiwivalve" <radio@old> wrote in message news:4036c6b6$...
    >I would really like to know if having filesharing on tcp/ip but no files
    > shared has made my win98se computer any more vulnerable than normal to
    > hackers while on the net?

    Yes of course. You are increasing your attack surface. Definitely consider
    running a firewall, or at least unbind Netbios from your external or dialup
    adapter

    Nathan Mercer, Feb 21, 2004

  3. kiwivalve

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <4036c6b6$>, radio@old says...
    > I would really like to know if having filesharing on tcp/ip but no files
    > shared has made my win98se computer any more vulnerable than normal to
    > hackers while on the net?

    Check the binding of tcp/ip to the dialup adapter. If file/print sharing
    is checked, uncheck it.

    Note that you can enable file and print sharing on TCP/IP over ethernet,
    as there is a separate binding for tcp/ip to the network card.

    Mainlander, Feb 21, 2004
  4. kiwivalve

    kiwivalve Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.nz> wrote in message
    > In article <4036c6b6$>, radio@old says...
    > > I would really like to know if having filesharing on tcp/ip but no files
    > > shared has made my win98se computer any more vulnerable than normal to
    > > hackers while on the net?

    > Check the binding of tcp/ip to the dialup adapter. If file/print sharing
    > is checked, uncheck it.
    >
    > Note that you can enable file and print sharing on TCP/IP over ethernet,
    > as there is a separate binding for tcp/ip to the network card.

    Sorry, I did not fully explain, the file/print sharing and tcp/ip were
    binded to the dialup adapter but no files were shared. I did know about this
    stuff, it was a mate that stuffed it up for me, it is not a mistake I make
    myself.

    kiwivalve, Feb 21, 2004
  5. kiwivalve

    AD. Guest

    kiwivalve <radio@old> wrote in message news:403714d7$...

    > Sorry, I did not fully explain, the file/print sharing and tcp/ip were
    > binded to the dialup adapter but no files were shared.

    It would still make you more vulnerable, as you now have ports open and
    netbios still does stuff (eg network browsing and announcements etc) even if
    you aren't actually sharing files.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 21, 2004
  6. kiwivalve

    M Guest

    "kiwivalve" <radio@old> wrote in message news:403714d7$...
    > > > I would really like to know if having filesharing on tcp/ip but no

    files
    > > > shared has made my win98se computer any more vulnerable than normal to
    > > > hackers while on the net?

    > Sorry, I did not fully explain, the file/print sharing and tcp/ip were
    > binded to the dialup adapter but no files were shared. I did know about

    this
    > stuff, it was a mate that stuffed it up for me, it is not a mistake I make
    > myself.

    There are many many viruses and attacks which use exactly this way in.

    M, Feb 21, 2004
  7. kiwivalve

    Gordon Guest

    On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 22:58:24 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > You are increasing your attack surface.

    A good way of putting it.

    Gordon, Feb 22, 2004
  8. Hi there,

    kiwivalve wrote:
    > I would really like to know if having filesharing on tcp/ip but no files
    > shared has made my win98se computer any more vulnerable than normal to
    > hackers while on the net?

    Yes it will. It doesn't matter that there are no files to be shared,
    because all you are doing is opening another side-door for a hacker
    to get in. Unless you are actually using filesharing I'd disable it.

    If you are using it consider installing a good firewall, that can
    prevent outside IP's from initiating netbios sessions...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 22, 2004