Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenlyenforce registration?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D., Jul 1, 2013.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
    about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
    http://picturepush.com/upa

    Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.

    Is it just me (perhaps I went over some limit?) or for everyone?

    If it's for everyone, that's too bad. Now I need a new freeware
    screenshot image-sharing site which requires no registration.

    Googling, Flickr is often listed as the best, but, it's a royal
    pain to get a DIRECT link to the screenshot itself:
    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9187022392_9704a372d5_c.jpg

    On Flickr, I have to search for the image on Google, and then use
    that link to post back here.

    So, my question for freeware and photo buffs:

    Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
    links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
    registration?

    Danny D., Jul 1, 2013

  2. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny D. submitted this idea :
    > I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
    > about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
    > http://picturepush.com/upa
    >
    > Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.
    >
    > Is it just me (perhaps I went over some limit?) or for everyone?
    >
    > If it's for everyone, that's too bad. Now I need a new freeware
    > screenshot image-sharing site which requires no registration.
    >
    > Googling, Flickr is often listed as the best, but, it's a royal
    > pain to get a DIRECT link to the screenshot itself:
    > http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7349/9187022392_9704a372d5_c.jpg
    >
    > On Flickr, I have to search for the image on Google, and then use
    > that link to post back here.
    >
    > So, my question for freeware and photo buffs:
    >
    > Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
    > links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
    > registration?

    Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 1, 2013

  3. Danny D.

    nospam Guest

    Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    In article <>, Danny D.
    <> wrote:

    > Q: What do you use for posting screenshots to be included as
    > links in nntp posts that is (a) free, and (b) requires no
    > registration?

    many of them, including imgur and tinypic

    nospam, Jul 1, 2013
  4. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png

    Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).

    If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    viewer, then it's a keeper!

    Danny D., Jul 1, 2013
  5. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:52:25 -0400, nospam wrote:

    > many of them, including imgur and tinypic

    Testing imgur.com ...
    a. Press "Computer" & select screenshot & press "OK"
    b. Press "Start Upload"
    c. Click on the uploaded screenshot & grab the URL from the address bar

    http://i.imgur.com/syPIhI6.png

    Assessment:
    Imgur worked fine!
    Thanks.

    Danny D., Jul 1, 2013
  6. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny D. presented the following explanation :
    > On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    > Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    > http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
    >
    > Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    > the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
    >
    > If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    > viewer, then it's a keeper!

    The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 1, 2013
  7. Danny D.

    Jon Danniken Guest

    On 07/01/2013 01:24 PM, Danny D. wrote:
    > On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:52:25 -0400, nospam wrote:
    >
    >> many of them, including imgur and tinypic

    > Testing imgur.com ...
    > a. Press "Computer" & select screenshot & press "OK"
    > b. Press "Start Upload"
    > c. Click on the uploaded screenshot & grab the URL from the address bar
    >
    > http://i.imgur.com/syPIhI6.png
    >
    > Assessment:
    > Imgur worked fine!
    > Thanks.

    imgur is the one I use all the time, now that most of the other ones are
    riddled with ads and/or registration and/or captchas. imgur also makes
    it really easy to directly link to the file, without registration.

    Jon

    Jon Danniken, Jul 1, 2013
  8. Danny D.

    Roori Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:15:29 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > Danny D. presented the following explanation :
    >> On Mon, 01 Jul 2013 15:44:42 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tinypic. It has a CAPTCHA but that's it.

    >> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    >> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
    >>
    >> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    >> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
    >>
    >> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    >> viewer, then it's a keeper!

    > The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

    Does Tinypic remove the photo if no one accesses it for a set
    time?

    Roori, Jul 2, 2013
  9. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Roori formulated on Tuesday :
    > On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 22:15:29 +0100, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> Danny D. presented the following explanation :

    >>> Thanks. Tinypic seems to work well.
    >>> http://i41.tinypic.com/judao7.png
    >>>
    >>> Even the Captcha is pretty easy, as they don't obfuscate
    >>> the letters (you simply have to type a short phrase).
    >>>
    >>> If it's not too bad on the advertisement side, for the
    >>> viewer, then it's a keeper!

    >> The one for layouts gives you the most direct link IIRC.

    > Does Tinypic remove the photo if no one accesses it for a set
    > time?

    From their help/faq

    How long are images and videos kept?

    Images and videos is in your account will not be removed. Images and
    videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
    not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 2, 2013
  10. Danny D.

    VanguardLH Guest

    Danny D. wrote:

    > I've been posting screenshots for nntp posts to picturepush.com for
    > about a year now, without having to register, using this URL:
    > http://picturepush.com/upa
    >
    > Now, suddenly, as of today, that URL seems to require a registration.

    Read their FAQ at:
    http://picturepush.com/help#qa19
    Which points to their letter at:
    http://picturepush.com/gopro

    VanguardLH, Jul 2, 2013
  11. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:49:47 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:

    > Images and
    > videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
    > not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

    Oh. That's not good.
    That means the Google archives will only work for 90 days, if not
    accessed. Hmmm... that knocks out tinypic.

    That leaves only imgur.com then.

    Danny D., Jul 2, 2013
  12. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 09:43:07 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Which points to their letter at:
    > http://picturepush.com/gopro

    Yikes. They're going to delete the pictures!
    That will make a zillion USENET posts useless as an archive.
    Bummer.

    FROM THEIR LETTER:
    Unfortunately, starting today PicturePush.com will no longer
    offer a free-plan. After seven years of operation we are unable
    to support the cost of free accounts using advertising. ...
    the only option we see is to move picturepush.com to a paid-only
    service. ... As of now (June 30th) you will no longer be able to
    upload photos to your account. Starting July 14th, your images
    will no longer be visible and on July 30th we will take the images
    offline. (We will try to keep a backup available as long as we can)
    Until then it will be possible to download your albums as a zip file
    (or via webdav).

    Danny D., Jul 2, 2013
  13. Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny D. submitted this idea :
    > On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 07:49:47 -0400, FromTheRafters wrote:
    >
    >> Images and
    >> videos that are not associated with an account are kept until they have
    >> not been viewed for 90 days. After 90 days, they may be removed.

    > Oh. That's not good.
    > That means the Google archives will only work for 90 days, if not
    > accessed. Hmmm... that knocks out tinypic.
    >
    > That leaves only imgur.com then.

    Keep a list of the URLs and do a cron job.

    FromTheRafters, Jul 2, 2013
  14. Danny D.

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: Did the free photo uploading site (picturepush.com) suddenly enforce registration?

    Danny: What's with including an completely unrelated newsgroup
    (alt.home.repair) in your reply and posting off-topic over
    there? I omitted it in my reply.

    Since they're going to a paid service, you would think they would
    prefer to cajole some of their existing customers from their old free
    service to their paid service. Instead they just chopped them off.
    If I had been a user, I wouldn't figured "**** me? **** YOU!". They
    should've told their freeloaders BEFORE they changed their service.
    Yes, the pictures from the free accounts won't disappear for a couple
    weeks but they abruptly disconnected all their free accounts without
    notice.

    Rather than cripple the service by requiring registration for free
    accounts so they could manage quotas per account so they could, say,
    reduce or limit the disk quota for free accounts, they just nuked
    their current userbase of free accounts. If they are going to be that
    rude then figure they'll screw you later, too, like changing rates or
    quotas (like Microsoft did when they dropped Hotmail/Live/Outlook.com
    accounts from 25GB disk quota down to only 7GB; however, Microsoft
    gave a heads up so existing users could login within time to keep the
    old 25GB quota -- *if* you happened to login using their webmail
    interface to see the notice).

    As for this site being some huge Usenet photo archive, sorry, never
    heard of it until your post here. I have to wonder what their
    announcement really means since they are STILL allowing users to
    create free accounts at:

    http://picturepush.com/signup

    Oh, I see, you get an, ahem, "free" account that doesn't have any
    storage. Zip, nada, nix, zilch, nothing. Oh yeah, like anyone would
    care. What a limp lure, like dragging a minnow through the bottom in
    the mud. And, oh, whoopee, you get a grand of just 5GB in their Pro
    version at .99 euro ($1.29 USD) per MONTH. They mention upgrades but
    won't publish them on their web site (uh huh, wonder why). Geez, even
    Google gives you more than that (15GB) - and it's FREE. aDrive gives
    you 50GB and that's free BEFORE their paid service tiers.

    They haven't got all their web pages updated yet. Their tour page
    (http://picturepush.com/tour) still mentions "Free storage". Yup,
    after you pay then, uh huh, it's "free". The change must be very
    recent. I see only 1 complaint, so far, in their forums, or their
    admins/moderators are very busy deleting the negative posts there. I
    suspect their user community hasn't yet discovered they've been
    crippled and and soon to be discarded.

    VanguardLH, Jul 3, 2013
  15. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:51:51 -0500, VanguardLH wrote:

    > Danny: What's with including an completely unrelated newsgroup
    > (alt.home.repair) in your reply and posting off-topic over
    > there? I omitted it in my reply.

    Very many of the hundreds of pictures posted in the past few
    months on that newsgroup for DIYs used picturepush as the picture
    hosting site.

    Danny D., Jul 4, 2013
  16. Danny D.

    Guest