    Thanks
    Srikanth
    , Jun 28, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    |>Hi
    |>
    |>I have (or had) a 40 gb hard disk. It was actually from another comp,
    |>and i just had it temporarily plugged in to mine. The drive was placed
    |>vertically (bad idea, i guess), and I was working. I wasn't even
    |>accessing the hard drive (D:), I was only accessing the drive of the
    |>host comp (C:) when suddenly it (D drive) started making some noises.
    |>The drive was working fine in earlier in the day though. I powered
    |>down, and when i boot up next, BIOS gave some error saying it cudn't
    |>find the slave. The jumper is plugged in rite though. And at bootup,
    |>the disk makes some noise (not the regular hum, more like something
    |>hitting it periodically).
    |>
    |>Is it a disk crash? Or what else coul it be? Is there any way to
    |>recover the data?

    The bios reads the HD circuit board to tell what it is.

    Did you short out the circuit board? look closely at it for burn'd
    marks or black traces.

    --
    Scientists desperately search for definition of a "cubit"
    as rains continue unabated.

  3. Srikanth Guest

    Hi
    No black marks or crumbling IC's. The drive, if connected to the power
    and data cables, actually does make a sound. I can't describe it that
    well, just a kind of tak-tak-tak sound periodically for a short while,
    after which my system gives a bios error saying no slave and refuses to
    boot. That is what i don't understand - if there is no slave, just go
    ahead and boot with the master rite?
    And i power down and this point - if it is the head hitting the
    platter, don't wanna screw it up too bad, in case i can repair it.
    Any other ideas?
    Thanks
    Srikanth
    Srikanth, Jun 30, 2006