    burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could this
    possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable? Any
    suggestions would be appreciated.
    Smooth Operator, Aug 18, 2007

  2. Smooth Operator wrote:
    > Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
    > hard drive I get the message
    >
    > D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
    > Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.
    >
    > I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
    > supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they keep
    > burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could this
    > possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable? Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    Easy enough to check the IDE cable, just replace and see. But it's
    possible that the drive that seems to have gone tits up may have
    contributed to the power supplies going bad. Are you buying decent
    quality power supplies?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Aug 18, 2007

  3. Smooth Operator

    ded Guest

    "Smooth Operator" <> wrote in message
    > Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
    > hard drive I get the message
    >
    > D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
    > Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.
    >
    > I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
    > supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they
    > keep burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could
    > this possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable?
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    It maybe protected. Are you certain that it is actually two seperate hard
    drives?
    Many OEM's install a "restore" partition on the primary HD, resulting in
    two partitions "C" and "D".

    If you're certain it is two seperate HD's, and it was yourself that
    installed
    the replacement power supplies -
    Did the "secondary drive" ever work, was it ever accessible?
    Is the "secondary hard drive" configured correctly, each IDE channel can
    accommadate two devices, but one as master and one as slave on each
    IDE channel. What other device (burner?) is on the same IDE channel as
    the problematic HD, and which is master and which is slave?

    And how have you been trying to access the "secondary hard drive"?
    Does it show up in Windows Explorer, or as an example when saving/
    send to/ files, is that HD an option in the drop down?
    ded, Aug 18, 2007
  4. Smooth Operator

    old man Guest

    either you are buying cheap & nasty pwr supplies, they are from a bad batch,
    or your mains pwr is very dirty, ie spikes/surges

    old man, Aug 18, 2007
  5. Yes it's two different drives, installed by the manufacturer, Gateway. The
    secondary drive is the slave drive. It's always been accessible ever since I
    bought the computer like maybe 3 years ago. Everything in the computer is
    configured the same way the manufacturer had it, with the exception of the
    new power supply, which is a quality power supply, not "dirty". There aren't
    any other devices sharing the IDE cable with it. When I try to save, the D
    drive shows up, but when I select it I get a grey box with the error
    message. It's like it's expecting a floppy disk to be in there or
    something... so bizarre.

    Smooth Operator, Aug 18, 2007
  6. Yes it's two different drives, installed by the manufacturer, Gateway. The

    Smooth Operator, Aug 18, 2007
  7. Yes it's two different drives, installed by the manufacturer, Gateway. The

    Smooth Operator, Aug 18, 2007
  8. Smooth Operator

    > Yes it's two different drives, installed by the manufacturer, Gateway. The
    > secondary drive is the slave drive. It's always been accessible ever since
    > bought the computer like maybe 3 years ago. Everything in the computer is
    > configured the same way the manufacturer had it, with the exception of the
    > new power supply, which is a quality power supply, not "dirty". There
    > aren't
    > any other devices sharing the IDE cable with it.

    Thats confusing, if the secondary HD is configured as "slave" then *it* is
    sharing an IDE channel with another device which is configured as master!
    Apoligies for repeating, but the indications are of a hardware configuration
    thats gone wrong?
    OK, so it's a 3 year old gateway model, post exact model number and I'll
    look it up.
    I'll guess it is a standard configuration of primary HD as master on the
    primary
    IDE channel with the DVD burner as slave on same IDE channel.
    If your PC does indeed have a secondary HD then that will be on the second
    IDE channel, if there is a second DVD/CD drive in your PC that will share
    the second IDE channel.

    Post model number of your gateway PC

    In device manager, scroll and locate "Disk drives"
    Click the "+" to open the tree, are two drives listed?
    If so, are either marked with an exclaimation or questionmark?

    If it may have been registry corruption etc, when the problem occurred
    did you try a system restore point?

    ded, Aug 18, 2007
  9. Smooth Operator

    Plato Guest

    Smooth Operator wrote:

    > I've had power supply problems within the few months, the 2 previous power
    > supplies died on me and I'm on my third one now. I've no idea why they keep
    > burning out, as I'm only on my computer like 2 times a week. Could this
    > possibly be why I can't read the D drive? Perhaps a faulty IDE cable? Any
    > suggestions would be appreciated.

    Its sort of odd that you have had so many power supply problems. Perhaps
    you live in an old neighborhood like I do and really need to pass the
    power through two surge protectors before power gets to your pc.

    Also note that the $10 to $15 surge protectors the surge protector
    circiut will short out to protect your pc. So, you have to keep an eye
    on them and make sure the surge protector light is still on.

    Hell, I even do the unthinkable, ie keep my pc on during a storm, and
    yes, often a surge protector will protect, then of course fail. I always
    keep a few new ones on hand due to my surfing habits during storms.

    For me, its far cheaper to replace surge protectors than power supplies
    and hard drives, but that's me...

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Aug 19, 2007
  10. Smooth Operator

    w_tom Guest

    On Aug 18, 5:29 am, "Smooth Operator" <> wrote:
    > Windows XP, two internal hard drives, when I try to access the secondary
    > hard drive I get the message
    >
    > D:\is not accessible. The wrong diskette is in the drive. Insert (Volume
    > Serial Nuber:) into drive D:\.

    Go to and report basic hardware information from system (event) logs
    and from Device Manager. What errors were detected long ago by event
    logs that are now causing trouble? What devices in Device Manager are
    reported as defective OR are missing in tnat list?

    If you don't know where these are, then use Window's Help.

    Troubling and an indication that a 'quality' supply is not or is
    undersized is implied by so many replaced supplies. Supply must work
    without ever causing computer hardware damage. And no computer
    hardware will damage a properly designed supply.

    Why / what number says previous supplies were defective? Or did
    someone just automatically replace a supply, see the computer working,
    and then wildly speculate that a problem was solved? This paragraph
    asking questions that might explain your current failure.

    For example, a power supply can boot a computer and yet be 100%
    defective. Then a defective supply might cause your hard drive
    problem. We could discuss more than 100 'could be's. Instead, find
    and report known facts such as from the event log, Device Manager, and
    reasons why previous supplies were known to be defective.

    Meanwhile, move on to other useful tools. Gateway has a bad
    reputation of not providing comprehensive hardware diagnostics. You
    must obtain those diagnostics from each individual component
    manufacturer. Download diagnostics from each disk drive
    manufacturer. Run those diagnostics even without Windows so as to
    break the problem down into simpler parts. Never execute any disk
    test that uses the word 'write' or 'format'. Needed are those
    diagnostic reports.
    w_tom, Aug 20, 2007