    Any ideas about what I can do, if anything?

    Thanks in advance.
    , Nov 18, 2006

  2. Guest

    Re: Did my hard drive crash? Or is it something else?

    When I said "windows directly" I meant to say "windows directory."
    , Nov 18, 2006

  3. Ben Myers Guest

    Make sure the computer has a valid "c:\msdos.sys" file, something like
    this:

    [Paths]
    WinDir=C:\WINDOWS
    WinBootDir=C:\WINDOWS
    HostWinBootDrv=C
    [Options]
    BootGUI=1
    [end]

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 18, 2006
  4. ttyypppedid th8s in news:1163885650.779683.84280
    @m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

    > While running a game program over my high speed internet connection,
    > the computer went down. When I went to start it, is said something
    > about the hard drive, don't remember exactly. I got the recovery disk
    > in, and got over to C:, and I looked around and saw that everything
    > seemed like it was still there. I went to windows directly, typed in,
    > hit enter, and this is the message I got:
    >
    > VFAT Initialization Failure. A device or resource is not present or is
    > unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading. System Halted.
    >
    > And then I can't do anything but restart it - it freezes.
    >
    > It is a Pentium 2 with 256 Megs RAM and runnning at 500 Mghz. It has
    > windows 98 SE on it.
    >
    > Any ideas about what I can do, if anything?
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/139063

    also

    http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=12386

    "can you boot in safe mode?
    - also try fdisk /mbr
    - boot with F8 and press 2. bootlog
    search for any fails ..
    - try copying VFAT.VXD from another computer (with the same OS)"

    Because you had a hard crash while your system was exposed, my first guess
    would be MBR issue. 98SE boot disk, DOS ? fdisk /mbr might do it.

    I've got a boot CD - Paragon Partition Manager, which gives an option to
    repair MBR and reboot, and it's always worked for me.

    Maybe, since you're out there big on the gaming scene, you might have some
    boot disk, Partition Manager, or Image backup/recovery CD that does the same?

    Since you're out here on NG's here's a link and the text:

    http://www.smartcomputing.com/techsupport/detail.aspx?guid=
    06fe945e348244ada0b41283e91988d0&ErrorID=21540

    Error Message:
    VFAT Device Initialization Failed. A device or resource required by VFAT is
    not present or is unavailable. VFAT cannot continue loading. System halted.
    Translation:
    You may receive the error message on a blue screen when you start your
    computer. It can be caused if:
    • the Ifshlp.sys file is missing from the Windows folder;
    • if the Config.sys file contains a line that points to a previous version of
    the Ifshlp.sys file;
    • if the following Ifshlp.sys statement is deleted from the Config.sys file
    after you reinstall Windows: DEVICE=C:\Windows\Ifshlp.sys;
    • if the [Paths] section in the Msdos.sys file is incorrect;
    • if a Winboot.ini file from a previous incomplete installation is present in
    the root folder on your Startup disk;
    • or if a “maxfilecache = 4096” line is present in the System.ini file.

    Solution:
    Extract a new copy of the file from your original Windows CD-ROM to the
    Windows folder using the System File Checker.

    • Extract the missing file from the Win98 CD-ROM as follows: Click Start,
    point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then
    click System Information. On the Tools menu, click System File Checker. Click
    Extract One File From Installation Disk, type the name of the file you want
    to extract in the Specify The System File You Would Like To Restore box, and
    then click Start. In the Restore From box, type the path to the Win98 folder
    on the Win98 CD-ROM. Type the destination folder in the Save File In box if
    necessary, and then click OK. Click OK, click OK, and then click Yes when you
    are prompted to restart your computer.

    Best regards.

    --

    I bet when the neanderthal kids would make a snowman,
    someone would always end up saying,
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 18, 2006
  5. Guest

    Re: Did my hard drive crash? Or is it something else?

    "Extract the missing file from the Win98 CD-ROM as follows: Click
    Start,
    point to Programs, point to Accessories..."

    How would I get to do this if I can't get windows working? If I try to
    start windows, the error message comes up and it's frozen. Am I
    missing something?
    , Nov 19, 2006
  6. Re: Did my hard drive crash? Or is it something else?

    had a comeback ready and pooped it here
    in news::

    > Am I missing something?

    Is that rhetorical?

    --

    If you ever teach a yodeling class,
    probably the hardest thing to do

    You see, we build up to that.
    Bucky Breeder, Nov 19, 2006
  7. rjdriver Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > "Extract the missing file from the Win98 CD-ROM as follows: Click
    > Start,
    > point to Programs, point to Accessories..."
    >
    > How would I get to do this if I can't get windows working? If I try to
    > start windows, the error message comes up and it's frozen. Am I
    > missing something?

    You should have read a little further at the MS site. Click the 129605 link
    and it will tell you how. If you have a Windows 98 start up disc, you can
    start right away. If you don't, find someone else with 98SE and use their
    computer to make one.

    Bob
    rjdriver, Nov 19, 2006
  8. Guest

    Win98 OEM bootdisk http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    --
    http://www.webpark.ru/comments.php?id=17677
    , Nov 19, 2006
  9. Guest

    Re: Did my hard drive crash? Or is it something else?

    Tried the suggestions, but here is what worked:

    Startup disk, option #2, go to C drive, then type sys A: and hit enter.

    That's all I needed to do.

    Thanks for the advice in any case.
    , Nov 22, 2006