did it

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    231 KB:
    http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181s.JPG re-sized, USM

    warning--following are nearly 2 MB each.
    http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181.JPG fullsize, /USM
    http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181usm.JPG fullsize, USM

    Maxxum 7D
    1/160, f/8
    100 f/2.8 macro
    3 sync'd strobes

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Did wha?

    Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Alan Browne

    Walt Hanks Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    "Alan Browne" <> wrote in message

    > Did wha?
    >
    > Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.
    >

    > Alan Browne wrote:
    >

    >> 231 KB:
    >> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181s.JPG re-sized, USM
    >>
    >> warning--following are nearly 2 MB each.
    >> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181.JPG fullsize, /USM
    >> http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181usm.JPG fullsize, USM
    >>
    >> Maxxum 7D
    >> 1/160, f/8
    >> 100 f/2.8 macro
    >> 3 sync'd strobes
    >>

    >> Cheers,
    >> Alan

    Congratulations on the purchase. Now, please tell me what to look for in
    the USM vs Non-usm images. Frankly, the non-USM looks better to me. Am I
    missing something?

    Walt
    Walt Hanks, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Walt Hanks wrote:

    > Congratulations on the purchase.

    Thanks!

    > Now, please tell me what to look for in
    > the USM vs Non-usm images. Frankly, the non-USM looks better to me. Am I
    > missing something?

    Assuming that you're looking at them at full res, the usm'd ones have
    slightly sharper edges. (Look at the print on the meter body).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  5. Re: did it -what?

    Hey hey, welcome to digital, Alan!

    Now that you've tasted the power of the dark side, join me. Together we
    can rule the empire!
    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Alan Browne

    Scott W Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Welcome to the digital world Alan.

    I would be very interested to hear how much film you end up shooting
    now that you have your new toy.

    The photos look great BTW.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 8, 2005
  7. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Brian C. Baird wrote:

    > Hey hey, welcome to digital, Alan!
    >
    > Now that you've tasted the power of the dark side, join me. Together we
    > can rule the empire!

    You rule the empire. I rule the universe.

    Now, about your taxes... 'tis the season...

    The setup where I shot the meter was for portraits I did on Sat (film)
    .... so just snapped on the strobes, hooked up the sync and kaboomy on
    digital ... no color/level adjustments at all, just USM. Only differnce
    was the somewhat low sync speed of the 7D (160) compared to the Max 9
    (1/250 with sync cable or 1/300 with slave. Also, I "blue" a couple as
    I had the color temp set at 2800K... at 5500+strobe: perfect).

    This crop factor thing SUCKS (at least when using the 100mm f/2.8, my
    living room, er studio, ain't deep enough for a 3/4 standing unless the
    victiom is near the wall, er, backdrop.)

    (Okay, I do have to do something more colorful now, but outside right
    now it is singulalrly ugly ... about 15 cm so far, more to come).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  8. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Scott W wrote:

    > Welcome to the digital world Alan.
    >
    > I would be very interested to hear how much film you end up shooting
    > now that you have your new toy.
    >
    > The photos look great BTW.

    "Welcome"? (I have shot bits of digital here and there, just never
    bought my own camera). But thanks!

    Toy? This is a hammer.

    Film? a dozen rolls of 120 in the freezer and about 30 of 35mm in the
    fridge. 2 35mm film bodies (1 of which cost more than the 7D...), so
    yes, there will be more film shot (As I picked up the camera, I picked
    up 5 rolls of Sensia 100).

    (I let go of a deal (500CM, 150mm f/4 and back); decided to get this
    instead... for now).

    I left some 120 to be scanned, and my weekend Sensia and some cheap
    negative film to be dev'd... my film days are not over... besides I love
    a projected slide...

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  9. Re: did it -what?

    In article <d0j0t1$eh$>,
    says...
    > You rule the empire. I rule the universe.

    Wait, that wasn't part of the deal!

    > Now, about your taxes... 'tis the season...

    Can I file an extension?

    > The setup where I shot the meter was for portraits I did on Sat (film)
    > ... so just snapped on the strobes, hooked up the sync and kaboomy on
    > digital ... no color/level adjustments at all, just USM. Only differnce
    > was the somewhat low sync speed of the 7D (160) compared to the Max 9
    > (1/250 with sync cable or 1/300 with slave. Also, I "blue" a couple as
    > I had the color temp set at 2800K... at 5500+strobe: perfect).

    The color and exposure are spot on. You've got perfect illumination
    too. Now I'm lusting for some studio strobes.

    > This crop factor thing SUCKS (at least when using the 100mm f/2.8, my
    > living room, er studio, ain't deep enough for a 3/4 standing unless the
    > victiom is near the wall, er, backdrop.)

    Yeah. One of the other reasons I'm thinking of upgrading is so I can
    get the EF-S mount and the new 60mm f/2.8 USM macro to fit it.

    > (Okay, I do have to do something more colorful now, but outside right
    > now it is singulalrly ugly ... about 15 cm so far, more to come).

    One of the things I noticed early on about digital is how well it
    handles dark objects. There's an amazing amount of shadow detail to be
    had from a dSLR.
    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  10. Alan Browne <> wrote in

    > 231 KB:
    > http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181s.JPG re-sized,
    > USM
    >
    > warning--following are nearly 2 MB each.
    > http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181.JPG fullsize,
    > /USM http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/PICT0181usm.JPG
    > fullsize, USM
    >
    > Maxxum 7D
    > 1/160, f/8
    > 100 f/2.8 macro
    > 3 sync'd strobes

    Congratulations, Alan. I hope you got the price you wanted, and I look
    forward to seeing some AS/non-AS side-by-side comparisons in the near
    future.

    --

    Bill
    Woodchuck Bill, Mar 8, 2005
  11. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Brian C. Baird wrote:

    >>I had the color temp set at 2800K... at 5500+strobe: perfect).

    > The color and exposure are spot on. You've got perfect illumination
    > too. Now I'm lusting for some studio strobes.

    That was with a couple multiblitz 200 W-s. Too bright, had to shoot at
    f/8 even out of softboxes (one at f/8 the other at f/4). I'm in the
    middle of making extra difusers to cut the light more.

    I did a few with the 5600HS (Minolta flash) and the colors are the same.
    Both in pre-flash and in ADI. (Minolta ADI uses the FL from the lens
    (those lenses that support it) to calculate correct exposure).

    I've done a few impromptu still-lifes with more color and a grey card,
    it looks very good color wise.

    > One of the things I noticed early on about digital is how well it
    > handles dark objects. There's an amazing amount of shadow detail to be
    > had from a dSLR.

    I'm still in the middle right now (yes I do see more shaddow detail in
    some shots.)

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  12. Alan Browne

    secheese Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 19:43:07 -0500, Alan Browne
    <> wrote:

    >Did wha?
    >
    >Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.

    Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
    not exactly tack-sharp.
    secheese, Mar 8, 2005
  13. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Woodchuck Bill wrote:

    > Congratulations, Alan. I hope you got the price you wanted, and I look
    > forward to seeing some AS/non-AS side-by-side comparisons in the near
    > future.

    Thanks. I did a few quick A/S//non-AS. Yes it works. No it ain't
    perfect. It's not so easy doing compares as sometimes a non-AS handheld
    shot looks pretty good in any case (I was shooting 1/2, 1/4 sec with a
    100). I'll do something more controlled in the days to come. One of
    the photo mags say they shoot hundreds of shots in order to evaluate
    IS/VR/AS for each lens.... I'm not going that distance...

    Price? Well a freebie from Minolta would have been the best price, I
    negotiated a package: camera, 1 GB card and an adapter to run the camera
    w/o using the batteries (for uploads and/or studio). Total somewhat
    under CAD$2K (Camera was listed in the store at $1,900).

    Cheers,
    Alan

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  14. Re: did it -what?

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.

    > Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
    > not exactly tack-sharp.

    Are you high? The images he applied USM to are about as sharp as you
    want your photos to get.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  15. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    secheese wrote:

    > Hopefully these aren't the sharpest pictures it'll produce! They're
    > not exactly tack-sharp.

    I guess you have problems with low contrast images?

    Try these:

    (17 KB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.U.jpg

    detail: (2.8 MB) http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  16. Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  17. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Brian C. Baird wrote:

    > In article <d0j0t1$eh$>,
    > says...
    >
    >> You rule the empire. I rule the universe.

    > Wait, that wasn't part of the deal!
    >

    >> Now, about your taxes... 'tis the season...

    > Can I file an extension?
    >

    >>The setup where I shot the meter was for portraits I did on Sat (film)
    >>... so just snapped on the strobes, hooked up the sync and kaboomy on
    >>digital ... no color/level adjustments at all, just USM. Only differnce
    >>was the somewhat low sync speed of the 7D (160) compared to the Max 9
    >>(1/250 with sync cable or 1/300 with slave. Also, I "blue" a couple as
    >>I had the color temp set at 2800K... at 5500+strobe: perfect).

    > The color and exposure are spot on. You've got perfect illumination
    > too. Now I'm lusting for some studio strobes.

    Here, incandecent only, f/8, 1/4 s, mirror lockup (the "real" mirror
    lockup), ISO 1600. 2800K.

    450KB http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_SM.1600.U.jpg
    3.5MB http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.1600.U.jpg
    (noise makes the file larger than the cleaner ISO 100 v.)

    As I go along I'm really beginning to enjoy this...

    Cheers,
    Alan.

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005
  18. Alan Browne

    Colin D Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Alan Browne wrote:

    > Did wha?
    >
    > Why I bought the Maxxum 7D, of course.
    >
    > Alan Browne wrote:

    Congrats, Alan! I don't know zip about Minoltas - 'cept I had an
    Autocord 2¼ once - but if it's as good as my Canon {:)) then you're
    going to l-o-v-e it.

    Colin
    Colin D, Mar 8, 2005
  19. Re: did it -what?

    In article <d0j7rc$7jm$>,
    says...
    > As I go along I'm really beginning to enjoy this...
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan.

    FEEL THE POWER OF THE DARK SIDE!
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/
    Brian C. Baird, Mar 8, 2005
  20. Alan Browne

    Alan Browne Guest

    Re: did it -what?

    Colin D wrote:

    > Congrats, Alan! I don't know zip about Minoltas - 'cept I had an
    > Autocord 2¼ once - but if it's as good as my Canon {:)) then you're
    > going to l-o-v-e it.

    Thanks.
    My Maxxum 9 is pouting right now... (Lots of film in the fridge too).

    Alan Browne, Mar 8, 2005