Did I just buy the wrong system for Windows 64-bit?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Anthony LaMark, Jan 29, 2006.

  1. Hi All,
    I just ordered a Dell Precision 670 thinking I can load Windows 2003
    Server 64-bit Operating System on it when it arrives. I may have jumped the
    gun since I see from several google searches that you need the Intel EM64T
    chipset to take advantage of 64-bit mode. I can't find anything that
    mentions the EM64T chipset on the Dell Precision 670. Forgive me for my
    naivete here but I am just getting started with Windows 64-bit. Below is
    the system I ordered. Thanks in advance.

    1 Dell Precision 670 Mini-tower Dual-Core 2.80GHz,XEON w/ 2x2ML2,
    800FSB $3,427.00
    1 2GB,DDR2 ECC SDRAM Memory, 400MHz, 4X512, Dell Precision 470/670,
    Factory Install $0.00
    1 Entry Level, USB, No Hot Keys,Dell $0.00
    1 Dell UltraSharp 1905FP Flat Panel with Height Adjustable Stand,19.0
    Inch VIS,OptiPlex Precision and Latitude $0.00
    1 ATI FireGL V3100, 128MB, dual VGA or single DVI/VGA, GraphicCard,
    Dell Precision 470/670 $0.00
    1 160GB Serial ATA 7200RPM Hard Drive with DataBurst Cache,
    NON-RAID,Precision 470/670 $0.00
    1 C1- All SATA Hard Drives, Non-RAID for 1 Hard Drive, Precision 670
    $0.00
    1 No Floppy Drive, Precision Workstation 670, Factory Install $0.00
    1 WINDOWS XP PRO SP2, with MediaDell Precision,English Factory
    Install $0.00
    1 Dell USB 2-Button Entry Mouse Mouse with Scroll for Precision
    Workstations $0.00
    1 NTFS File System,Factory Install $0.00
    1 48X CD-ROM,Dell Precision Workstation, Factory Install $0.00
    1 No Speaker option $0.00
    1 Dell Wireless 1450 WLAN USB 2.0 DT Adapter, Dell
    Precision370/470/670 $0.00
    1 Resource CD contains Diagnostics and Drivers for Dell Precision
    Systems Factory Tied $0.00
    1 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site
    Response, Initial Year $0.00
    1 Type 3 Contract - Next Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site
    Response, 2YR Extended $0.00
    1 Thank You for buying Dell $0.00
    1 Please visit WWW.Dell.COM $0.00
    1 Standard On-Site Installation Declined $0.00
    Anthony LaMark, Jan 29, 2006

  2. Dell doesn't make it easy to find, but those processors are EM64T
    compatible. (click on the ? icon alongside processor and you'll get a popup
    window that says they are EM64T, amongst other things.)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2006

  3. Anthony LaMark wrote:
    > Hi All,
    > I just ordered a Dell Precision 670 thinking I can load Windows 2003
    > Server 64-bit Operating System on it when it arrives. I may have jumped the
    > gun since I see from several google searches that you need the Intel EM64T
    > chipset to take advantage of 64-bit mode. I can't find anything that
    > mentions the EM64T chipset on the Dell Precision 670. Forgive me for my
    > naivete here but I am just getting started with Windows 64-bit. Below is
    > the system I ordered. Thanks in advance.

    The Dell sites advertising the Precision 670 clearly state that it uses
    64-bit Xeon (which is a specific model of Intel EM64T-class of CPUs) and
    can even be purchased with WinXPx64 pre-installed. Since WinXPx64 is
    based upon the 64-bit Windows Server 2003 platform, you shouldn't have
    any problems.

    Just remember, in the future, to ask this sort of question *before*
    making a purchasing decision. ;-}

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
    Bruce Chambers, Jan 29, 2006
  4. Hi Charlie and Bruce,

    Thanks for the quick reply. Great! I am anxious to get our products ported
    to 64-bit. And Bruce, yeah, I hear ya about checking it out before-hand but
    I guess I was so excited to get started, I forgot about the details :)

    Anthony LaMark, Jan 29, 2006
  5. I thought that all of Dells systems, except for some of their mobile
    solutions are 64 bit enabled now.
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Jan 29, 2006
  6. No idea, since I don't buy Dell systems any more. Given that they're using
    only Intel chips, I'd doubt it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64