  1. The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary
    Way Back Jack, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Way Back Jack

    james Guest

    No

    james, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Way Back Jack

    dadiOH Guest

    Way Back Jack wrote:
    > The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    > PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    > Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    As the man said, no. The "56K" in your modem merely means that is the
    *fastet* it can connect. (Actually, the fastest is 53K). The speed at
    which you actually connect - it will vary - depends on the condition of
    the phone lines both in your house and twixt it and the ISP computer you
    are dialing into.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Way Back Jack

    Brian G Guest

    Way Back Jack wrote:
    > The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    > PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    > Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    Mary,

    No, that's the theoretical maximum rate of data that it can transfer per
    second.

    If you were living in the UK, the speed that you are getting would indicate
    a DACS [1] on the line restricting the data flow - not sure what it would be
    called in the 'states (I presume that you are the other side of the pond to
    me).

    Of course, there could be other reasons for this - such as a 'noisy'
    telephone line etc.

    [1] A method of splitting 1 telephone line so that it serves two separate
    properties or give one property two telephone lines.

    Brian G
    Brian G, Feb 21, 2005
  5. Way Back Jack

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Way Back Jack" <I'> wrote in message
    > The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    > PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    > Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    google search for an updated driver. also, check with your ISP for v92
    number.
    you won't find any 28.8 modems nowadays.
    http://www.conexant.com/support/md_winxpinfo.html

    line quality also affects your connection speed.

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Feb 21, 2005
  6. Way Back Jack

    Plato Guest

    Way Back Jack wrote:

    > The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    > PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    > Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    I dont believe you can even buy a 28.8 new anymore. The connection speed
    is based on the line quality, both inside and outside your home, and the
    distance you are from the isp.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Feb 21, 2005
  7. Way Back Jack

    Jerry G. Guest

    It has been a fair number of years, since a 28.8 kb modem has been
    available.

    The problem is most likely the telephone lines, or your provider. In some
    areas, because of the characteristics of the telephone lines, or other
    telephone equipment connected on the line, the speed of the dialup
    connection can be reduced.

    You can also verify the modem's specifications in the properties of My
    Computer. If you look in the hardware section you should be able to find the
    modem, and check it out through its driver set-ups. Take care to not
    accidentally change something, unless you are sure about what you are
    changing.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Feb 22, 2005
  8. Way Back Jack

    Neil Guest

    "Way Back Jack" <I'> wrote in message
    > The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    > PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    > Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    Check your modem advanced port settings are "use Fifo Buffers (checked),
    transmit and receive buffers set High, for maximum speed setting try 460800
    (only connect at this speed unchecked)"
    Since your max connection speed is 28.8Kbps, I'm inclined to agree with
    BrianG that your telephone service provider is using a DACS (or similar).
    Whilst not noticeably affecting normal telephone voice communication, your
    internet bandwidth is halved, and of course UK BT only guarantee 28.8Kbps.
    In the UK, DACS are used in isolated areas where there are not enough lines
    to service the local community (for isolated read no alternative
    infrastructure or competition).
    Mind you are not trying to fix something that isn't broken.
    Neil, Feb 22, 2005
  9. Brian G wrote:
    > Way Back Jack wrote:
    >> The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    >> PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    >> Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    > Mary,

    > No, that's the theoretical maximum rate of data that it can transfer per
    > second.

    > If you were living in the UK, the speed that you are getting would indicate
    > a DACS [1] on the line restricting the data flow - not sure what it would be
    > called in the 'states (I presume that you are the other side of the pond to
    > me).

    "A barely useful line." :)

    About four years ago, I was stuck out in the sticks for a few months,
    and on the local line I could only manage 28.8 (once in a great while
    a bit over 30 (don't remember the exact speed). It was hell, I tellya.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:
    Blinky the Shark, Feb 24, 2005
  10. Re: pain when urinating?

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 24, 2005
  11. Way Back Jack

    Elmo Toady Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 21:25:38 GMT, I' (Way Back Jack) wrote:

    >The invoice for my new PC shows that I paid for a 56K modem, CNXT V9x
    >PCI, but the message when I connect shows that I'm connected at 28.8
    >Kbps, never higher. Did they sell me a 28.8 modem? Mary

    I bet they did!
    Elmo Toady, Mar 3, 2005