Did I fry the monitor

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by smackedass, Feb 8, 2007.

  1. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Hello again,

    I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    port.

    You know where this is going.

    After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.

    Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    it?

    The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.

    Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you.

    smackedass
    smackedass, Feb 8, 2007

  2. smackedass

    Danny Kile Guest

    smackedass wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    > network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    > unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    > on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    > port.
    >
    > You know where this is going.
    >
    > After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    > off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    > Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    > it?
    >
    > The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    > raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    > his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    > thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    > the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    > the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    >
    > Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > smackedass

    In the shop we have monitors, keyboards and mice setup at all stations,
    we then put customer PC on the bench and plug in the monitor,keyboard
    and mice all the time without ever powering down the monitor first.

    Danny,
    Danny Kile, Feb 8, 2007

  3. smackedass

    JohnO Guest

    On Feb 8, 11:19 am, "smackedass" <>
    wrote:
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    > network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    > unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    > on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    > port.
    >
    > You know where this is going.
    >
    > After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    > off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    > Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    > it?
    >
    > The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    > raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    > his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    > thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    > the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    > the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    >
    > Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > smackedass

    Look for a bent pin in the connector?

    My experience isn't as long as the other guys, but I've never turned
    monitors off either, and never had one die like that. I assume you
    also unplugged that monitor, and let it reset itself...

    -John O
    JohnO, Feb 8, 2007
  4. smackedass

    Bob Day Guest

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message news:%3Iyh.5274$FM3.1390@trndny06...
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    > network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    > unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    > on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    > port.
    >
    > You know where this is going.
    >
    > After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    > off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    > Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    > it?
    >
    > The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    > raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    > his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    > thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    > the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    > the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    >
    > Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

    It happened on your watch. Replace your customer's monitor,
    free of charge.

    -- Bob Day
    http://bobday.vze.com
    Bob Day, Feb 8, 2007
  5. smackedass

    SBFan2000 Guest

    I don't think its fried. Are you sure the problem doesn't lie in the card?
    Some monitors leds blink when a video signal isn't detected. Also check for
    bent or missing pins. I've seen that happen more than once!

    SBFan2000, Feb 8, 2007
  6. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:19:07 GMT, "smackedass"
    <> wrote:

    >Hello again,
    >
    >I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    >network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    >unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    >on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    >port.
    >
    >You know where this is going.
    >
    >After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    >off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    >Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    >it?
    >
    >The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    >raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    >his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    >thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    >the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    >the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    >
    >Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >smackedass

    It may not be the monitor at all. Since the light is blinking, that
    usually indicates that it is not receiving a signal. I would check
    the video card, or like some of the other posts mentioned, check the
    pins on the cable. You didn't mention if it was an onboard video or a
    video card. If it is a video card, these sometimes get bumped and pop
    out of the slot just enough that they stop working.
    Try the monitor in question on a different computer. If it works, it
    is not a monitor issue. Also, try a different monitor on the
    customers computer. Once again, if the monitor works, it is not a
    monitor problem.
    I can't count how many times I had the video card pop out at the back
    end, just enough, it caused no video.
    If none of this works, blame it on sun spots.
    Mister, Feb 8, 2007
  7. smackedass

    <> wrote:

    >Hello again,
    >
    >I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    >network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    >unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    >on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    >port.
    >
    >You know where this is going.
    >
    >After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    >off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    >Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    >it?
    >
    >The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    >raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    >his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    >thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    >the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    >the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    >
    >Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Thank you.
    >
    >smackedass

    It may not be the monitor at all. Since the light is blinking, that
    usually indicates that it is not receiving a signal. I would check
    the video card, or like some of the other posts mentioned, check the
    pins on the cable. You didn't mention if it was an onboard video or a
    video card. If it is a video card, these sometimes get bumped and pop
    out of the slot just enough that they stop working.
    Try the monitor in question on a different computer. If it works, it
    is not a monitor issue. Also, try a different monitor on the
    customers computer. CORRECTED... If the monitor doesn't work, it is
    Mister, Feb 8, 2007
  8. On 8 Feb 2007 09:28:59 -0800
    "JohnO" <> wrote:

    > On Feb 8, 11:19 am, "smackedass" <>
    > wrote:
    > > Hello again,
    > >
    > > I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    > > network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    > > unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    > > on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    > > port.
    > >
    > > You know where this is going.
    > >
    > > After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    > > off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    > >
    > > Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    > > it?
    > >
    > > The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    > > raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    > > his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    > > thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time". I.e.,
    > > the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have catalyzed
    > > the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    > >
    > > Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Thank you.
    > >
    > > smackedass

    > Look for a bent pin in the connector?
    >
    > My experience isn't as long as the other guys, but I've never turned
    > monitors off either, and never had one die like that. I assume you
    > also unplugged that monitor, and let it reset itself...
    >
    > -John O

    Weird: I have undoubtedly the least experience of any of you, but after never
    bothering at work, I managed to cause all sorts of problems with my own system
    at home by doing it, that I now always power the monitor off (when I
    remember, that is ;-) ). My pc refused to boot for 15 minutes or so. I then
    managed to do it again five minutes later... (yeah, I know, I wouldn't employ
    me either...)
    Fred the Ferret, Feb 8, 2007
  9. smackedass

    kony Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Hello again,
    >
    >I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    >network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    >unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    >on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    >port.
    >
    >You know where this is going.
    >
    >After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    >off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    >Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    >it?

    I'd think it more likely the monitor suffered ESD damage, if
    you had actually unplugged the computer power cord (thus
    removing it's grounding).

    I've unplugged monitors still powered far too many times to
    count, but there is some significant info missing like what
    monitor this was.
    kony, Feb 8, 2007
  10. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 14:56:00 -0500, kony <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 16:19:07 GMT, "smackedass"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Hello again,
    >>
    >>I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    >>network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    >>unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    >>on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    >>port.
    >>
    >>You know where this is going.
    >>
    >>After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut it
    >>off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >>
    >>Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and unplugging
    >>it?
    >>

    >I'd think it more likely the monitor suffered ESD damage, if
    >you had actually unplugged the computer power cord (thus
    >removing it's grounding).
    >
    >I've unplugged monitors still powered far too many times to
    >count, but there is some significant info missing like what
    >monitor this was.

    Most monitors are grounded by their own 3-prong power cord, and I say
    most, because if I say all, I'm sure someone will tell me there is a
    monitor located in the far reaches of the world that is not grounded
    by it's own power cord.

    If I am repairing a computer, I usually never turn the monitor off
    when I disconnect it from a computer.
    Mister, Feb 8, 2007
  11. smackedass

    philo Guest

    "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    > network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    > unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    > on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    > port.
    >
    > You know where this is going.
    >
    > After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut

    it
    > off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.

    I've been plugging and unplugging live monitors for many years and have
    never
    had the slightest problem...
    Unless you hit it with a static electricity burst...it should not have been
    harmed
    philo, Feb 8, 2007
  12. smackedass

    kony Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:36:13 GMT, Mister
    <not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote:

    >>I'd think it more likely the monitor suffered ESD damage, if
    >>you had actually unplugged the computer power cord (thus
    >>removing it's grounding).
    >>
    >>I've unplugged monitors still powered far too many times to
    >>count, but there is some significant info missing like what
    >>monitor this was.

    >Most monitors are grounded by their own 3-prong power cord, and I say
    >most, because if I say all, I'm sure someone will tell me there is a
    >monitor located in the far reaches of the world that is not grounded
    >by it's own power cord.

    That doesn't necessarily protect a monitor from ESD damage,
    if the discharge is not to the connector shell or other
    ground point on it.

    Actually a ground on a device can even be an (enabler if not
    really the "cause") of ESD damage, because it provides the
    critical lower potential, path for this high voltage to
    travel. The only remaining question is which parts of the
    monitor would it cross on it's way to ground. It may be an
    unlikely scenario, but then this kind of damage to a powered
    monitor doesn't usually happen either, so "something" is
    different.
    kony, Feb 9, 2007
  13. smackedass

    Mister Guest

    On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:24:59 -0500, kony <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 20:36:13 GMT, Mister
    ><not_a_chance@this_email_address.com> wrote:
    >

    >>>I'd think it more likely the monitor suffered ESD damage, if
    >>>you had actually unplugged the computer power cord (thus
    >>>removing it's grounding).
    >>>
    >>>I've unplugged monitors still powered far too many times to
    >>>count, but there is some significant info missing like what
    >>>monitor this was.

    >>Most monitors are grounded by their own 3-prong power cord, and I say
    >>most, because if I say all, I'm sure someone will tell me there is a
    >>monitor located in the far reaches of the world that is not grounded
    >>by it's own power cord.

    >That doesn't necessarily protect a monitor from ESD damage,
    >if the discharge is not to the connector shell or other
    >ground point on it.
    >
    >Actually a ground on a device can even be an (enabler if not
    >really the "cause") of ESD damage, because it provides the
    >critical lower potential, path for this high voltage to
    >travel. The only remaining question is which parts of the
    >monitor would it cross on it's way to ground. It may be an
    >unlikely scenario, but then this kind of damage to a powered
    >monitor doesn't usually happen either, so "something" is
    >different.

    We could go on and on about ESD, but the fact is that unless the pins
    were touched, I doubt that ESD played a factor in damaging the
    monitor. I can't remember the last time I "accidentally" touched the
    pins on a monitor connector while removing it from the back of a
    computer.
    ESP says you would have a better chance of ESD causing a fire while
    pumping gas, which would require an EMT, than ESD damaging a monitor.
    Mister, Feb 9, 2007
  14. "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    > Hello again,
    >
    > I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out modems,
    > network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the computer down, I
    > unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor
    > on, while I unplugged and plugged the monitor cable from and to the VGA
    > port.
    >
    > You know where this is going.
    >
    > After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I shut
    > it off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >
    > Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and
    > unplugging it?
    >
    > The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    > raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked about
    > his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex with a woman
    > thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at the same time".
    > I.e., the heart attack was probably due, and while the activity may have
    > catalyzed the heart attack, it didn't actually cause it.
    >
    > Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you.
    >
    > smackedass

    I have had a loose pin that would slide back into the connector when plugged
    into a computer, to say nothing about bent pins. Try pushing lightly on
    each pin and see if one of them slides back into the connector. If it does
    a light pull with needle nose pliers usually clicks it back into place.
    GlowingBlueMist, Feb 9, 2007
  15. smackedass

    Rod Speed Guest

    GlowingBlueMist <> wrote:
    > "smackedass" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello again,
    >>
    >> I was working on a customer's computer the other day, swapping out
    >> modems, network cards, etc. After each time that I shut the
    >> computer down, I unplugged all of the peripherals, the power, etc. But I left the monitor on,
    >> while I unplugged and plugged the monitor
    >> cable from and to the VGA port.
    >>
    >> You know where this is going.
    >>
    >> After about the third or 4th reboot, the monitor stopped working. I
    >> shut it off, and on again, the light just blinks, and keeps blinking.
    >>
    >> Did I fry the monitor, by leaving it on while I was plugging and
    >> unplugging it?
    >>
    >> The analogy that I'm about to offer my customer, whose eyebrow is now
    >> raised, is from one of Richard Pryor's comedy skits, when he talked
    >> about his father suffering a fatal heart attack while having sex
    >> with a woman thirty years younger than he. "He came and went, at
    >> the same time". I.e., the heart attack was probably due, and while
    >> the activity may have catalyzed the heart attack, it didn't actually
    >> cause it.

    >> Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

    > I have had a loose pin that would slide back into the connector when plugged into a computer,

    You dont get nothing on the screen in that case.

    Rod Speed, Feb 9, 2007
  16. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > It happened on your watch. Replace your customer's monitor,
    > free of charge.

    I just spoke to him on the phone, I actually seem to be more upset about it
    than he is. But, I am going to offer to give him a $100 credit off of his
    bill. The monitor is a Dell SE177FP, and it retails at $179 brand spanking
    new. I don't think he won't be satisfied.

    sa
    smackedass, Feb 9, 2007
  17. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    >I don't think its fried. Are you sure the problem doesn't lie in the card?
    > Some monitors leds blink when a video signal isn't detected. Also check
    > for
    > bent or missing pins. I've seen that happen more than once!

    I tried the monitor with another computer and cable. That was my hope, also.

    sa
    smackedass, Feb 9, 2007
  18. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    Also, try a different monitor on the
    > customers computer. CORRECTED... If the monitor doesn't work, it is
    > not a monitor problem.

    Another monitor does work on his computer. And the fried monitor doesn't
    work on another computer. No go. Sorry to say.

    sa
    smackedass, Feb 9, 2007
  19. smackedass

    kony Guest

    On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:53:21 GMT, "Michael A. Terrell"
    <> wrote:

    >> Actually a ground on a device can even be an (enabler if not
    >> really the "cause") of ESD damage, because it provides the
    >> critical lower potential, path for this high voltage to
    >> travel. The only remaining question is which parts of the
    >> monitor would it cross on it's way to ground. It may be an
    >> unlikely scenario, but then this kind of damage to a powered
    >> monitor doesn't usually happen either, so "something" is
    >> different.

    > You do know that the video inputs have internal 75 ohm termination to
    >match the video board's output impedance, and that the other lines have
    >higher values, but are terminated? The least protected is the serial
    >data and clock lines used for P-N-P monitor ID EEROM. (The 24C08 is
    >typical memory for this)

    How effective do you feel 75 Ohms will be against thousands
    of volts?

    I'm not claiming we can assume it was ESD damage, only that
    "something" sure as heck killed this monitor and that
    something appears to be plugging and unplugging while on.
    What do you think happened?
    kony, Feb 9, 2007
  20. smackedass

    smackedass Guest

    > What do you think happened?

    Please see my original post, and review the Richard Pryor analogy.

    sa
    smackedass, Feb 9, 2007