Did a Clean Install of XP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Frank Williams, Jul 24, 2011.

  1. But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    trying this on so you will move to W7.?
    Frank Williams, Jul 24, 2011

  2. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Frank Williams says...

    > But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    > trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.

    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 24, 2011

  3. Frank Williams

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:43:44 +1200, Frank Williams
    <> shouted from the highest rooftop:

    >But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    >trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    No problems with my last clean install of XP and all the updates. Runs
    smoothly & quickly. Fingers crossed, however.
    Donchano, Jul 24, 2011
  4. In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >In article <>,
    >, Frank Williams says...
    >>
    >> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    >> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    >Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
    >
    >http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

    Get a current version perhaps ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 25, 2011
  5. On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 19:16:04 +1200, Donchano
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 24 Jul 2011 18:43:44 +1200, Frank Williams
    ><> shouted from the highest rooftop:
    >

    >>But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    >>trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    >No problems with my last clean install of XP and all the updates. Runs
    >smoothly & quickly. Fingers crossed, however.

    Found out what was killing it is Avast, took it out now seems OK using
    the MS one for the time being.

    Before the clean install could not update Avast with the latest 3
    updates, and got no support from Advast in regarding the lockups and
    blue screens.
    Frank Williams, Jul 25, 2011
  6. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    , Allistar says...

    > Dave Doe wrote:
    >
    > > In article <>,
    > > , Frank Williams says...
    > >>
    > >> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    > >> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    > > Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
    > >
    > > http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725

    > Updates to the OS only, or to other applications that are installed. If
    > you're going to make a comparison, at least make it an apples-for-apples
    > one.

    That may well be true - but the guts of it is, you install Xfce
    (latest), it reboots, and it finds that many updates. You check the
    "find the best server" option, and at about 70Kb/sec you wait near on
    SIX FUKEN HOURS for them to d/l - inlcludes two download failures,
    reason unknown, lets blame Xtra for those). (Done on a VPC (Windows 7
    Ultimate), last Tuesday).

    (The standard Linux Mint, BTW, which I have running on it's own box here
    (Julia version - I've heard the new one is not too flash, so haven't
    tried upgrading) has just a couple hundred updates IIRC, and worked
    well).

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 25, 2011
  7. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <j0ic5j$j04$>,
    , Bruce Sinclair
    says...

    > In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >In article <>,
    > >, Frank Williams says...
    > >>
    > >> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    > >> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    > >Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
    > >
    > >http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725
    > >

    > Get a current version perhaps ? :)

    Just out - April 6th, according to the link post.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 25, 2011
  8. Frank Williams

    Richard Guest

    On 7/25/2011 1:25 PM, Frank Williams wrote:
    > Found out what was killing it is Avast, took it out now seems OK using
    > the MS one for the time being. Before the clean install could not
    > update Avast with the latest 3 updates, and got no support from Advast
    > in regarding the lockups and blue screens.

    Also found that avast was the reason behind my constant issues about
    "not enough server storage" or somethign when accessing shared drives.

    Am trying avira now on the XP machines that I download on (both real and
    virtual) and its not had that problem yet so will see how it goes with time.
    Richard, Jul 25, 2011
  9. Frank Williams

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-07-25, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > In article <j0ic5j$j04$>,
    > , Bruce Sinclair
    > says...
    >>
    >> In article <-september.org>, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> >In article <>,
    >> >, Frank Williams says...

    >> >Try Linux Mint Xfce. About 755 updates, post install.
    >> >
    >> >http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=1725
    >> >

    >> Get a current version perhaps ? :)

    > Just out - April 6th, according to the link post.

    Three and a half months. 755 updates. So what is the problem? OSS tends to
    publish early and publish often. You do not have to update
    Gordon, Jul 25, 2011
  10. Frank Williams

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>, ,
    Gordon says...

    > On 2011-07-25, Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > > In article <j0ic5j$j04$>,
    > > , Bruce Sinclair
    > > says...

    > >> Get a current version perhaps ? :)

    > > Just out - April 6th, according to the link post.
    > >

    > Three and a half months. 755 updates. So what is the problem? OSS tends to
    > publish early and publish often. You do not have to update

    What, like Trim support? Ya right.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Jul 28, 2011
  11. On Mon, 1 Aug 2011 20:21:33 +1200, "geoff" <>
    wrote:

    >"Frank Williams" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> But after installing the 90+ updates it now runs like a Dog, is MS
    >> trying this on so you will move to W7.?

    >No. You've probably replaced a driver for something with a generic one.
    >Try update you mobo driver set, and things like display card drivver, etc.
    >
    >geoff

    I don't use GENERIC Drivers at all the problem was Fixed by Removing
    AVAST.
    Frank Williams, Aug 2, 2011