    What's going on with the modem and what can I do to fix it?

    Thanks for your help.

    Sharon

    Sharon Sharp, Oct 13, 2004

  2. (Sharon Sharp) scribbled in using
    a crayon news::

    > I have a US Robotics 56K Fax INT PnP modem in a homebuilt computer,
    > using Windows 98. I am connected at this moment at 16800 bps, after 5
    > tries at reconnecting. A couple of days ago it was 26400, then it went
    > down to 21600, and now 16800.
    >
    > I live in the boonies, and have never been able to connect faster than
    > 44000 so I am sure my phone line is running through at least one
    > multiplexer. However, until the past few weeks, I have been able to
    > connect at higher speeds than 16800!
    >
    > What's going on with the modem and what can I do to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.

    It's not your modem, it's your phone line. Have the phone company test
    your lines but don't tell them it's because your modem speed has
    deteriorated or they won't check it (most phone companies won't
    guarantee data transmission speed.) Tell them you have a lot of static
    on the line. Also, have recently changed the phone cord from the jack to
    your PC? If the RJ11 cord is more than 6', has become damaged, etc. it
    will affect your connection speed. Another thing affecting modem speeds
    is if they have recently added phone lines in your area, If they have
    more phones running over the wires, sometimes to add capacity they'll
    put digital splitters on the line so the copper wire can carry more
    capacity. These digital splitters translate signals from analogue into
    digital then back to analogue and can really mess up your connectivity.

    Porter J Goss, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Sharon Sharp

    Vinod Guest

    You may also wanna try and get the lastest updates on your modem
    drivers, i have seen where that could cause similar problems

    Vinod, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Sharon Sharp

    Ingeborg Guest

    (Sharon Sharp) wrote in

    > I have a US Robotics 56K Fax INT PnP modem in a homebuilt computer,
    > using Windows 98. I am connected at this moment at 16800 bps, after 5
    > tries at reconnecting. A couple of days ago it was 26400, then it went
    > down to 21600, and now 16800.
    >
    > I live in the boonies, and have never been able to connect faster than
    > 44000 so I am sure my phone line is running through at least one
    > multiplexer. However, until the past few weeks, I have been able to
    > connect at higher speeds than 16800!
    >
    > What's going on with the modem and what can I do to fix it?
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > Sharon

    My modem dropped from 48000 to 42000 when I unearthed my computer.

    Ingeborg, Oct 13, 2004
  5. >I have a US Robotics 56K Fax INT PnP modem in a homebuilt computer,
    >using Windows 98. I

    short story:

    You probably have line noise. I had this issue with DSL and my speed tripled
    when I added filters and moved phones. I would do a line quality test like US
    robotics used to have. You'll find a lot of info in the modem FAQs floating
    around the web, and this what i used to tweak my dialup, ethernet, and DSL.

    Your line speed is capped at 53 kbps by the FCC, and my real speed is often 48
    kbps on real downloads like FTP. HTTP, SMTP all add protocol overheads, so
    don't expect 56 kbps. Fix the line noise issue, but test the line, by trying a
    different modem, like in a friend's laptop. Your phone carrier is only
    required to supply data at 9600 kbps.

    Next, long story:

    poor speed can result from:

    1. bad drivers
    2. line noise
    3. bad DTE to DCE speed (i.e. port speed)
    4. X2 dialing a k56 flex modem pool
    5. converse of number 4
    6. v.90 dialing wrong line (try several)
    7. old modem like 28.8 or 33.6
    8. bad DCE speed (isp's fault)
    9. bad aol settings or tweak software
    10. bad mtu or rwin settings
    11. cheap connectors
    12. cheap modems

    Stuff that makes some lines seem faster than other lines, but harder to fix:

    1. proxying or caching
    2. text compression by v.90 or v.92
    3. v.92 enhancement over v.90
    4. firmware update for modem
    5. softmodem vs hardware internal
    6. internal vs external
    7. port speed beyond 115 kbps
    8. windows vs linux

    michael

    SchroedingerzKat, Oct 13, 2004
  6. To the original poster,

    Can you try all 4 of the tests from here:
    http://www.toast.net/performance/

    the initial negotiation speed can be different than the download speed. also
    the Windows built-in download indicator is flawed for a couple of reasons. i
    like NetMedic, if you can find it. NetMedic also shows v .34 and v .44
    compression.

    kat

    SchroedingerzKat, Oct 13, 2004
  7. Sharon Sharp

    Pennywise Guest

    On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:19:24 GMT,
    (Sharon Sharp) wrote:

    |>I have a US Robotics 56K Fax INT PnP modem in a homebuilt computer,
    |>using Windows 98. I am connected at this moment at 16800 bps, after 5
    |>tries at reconnecting. A couple of days ago it was 26400, then it went
    |>down to 21600, and now 16800.
    |>
    |>I live in the boonies, and have never been able to connect faster than
    |>44000 so I am sure my phone line is running through at least one
    |>multiplexer. However, until the past few weeks, I have been able to
    |>connect at higher speeds than 16800!
    |>
    |>What's going on with the modem and what can I do to fix it?

    Lot's could be wrong. If it was an external I'd say to unplug it for
    awhile it works for me.

    You have a lot of control over a modem with the AT commands - Googling
    for - modem AT commands
    I came across http://www.56k.com/trouble/disconn.shtml (see USR
    Sportsters, It's what you have).

    To enter AT commands you need to be in a terminal mode. Under 98 it's
    called Hyper Terminal located in the accessories > communication.

    You can also send AT strings to the modem by putting them in the extra
    settings located:
    Control Panel > Modems >Properties > Connection > advanced
    (while you there you can also run a diagnostics on your modem)

    I'd also look at the AT command to reset factory settings...

    Could also be phone lines, Multi-tasking, bad settings, whatever. AT
    commands are available to you tho if you wish to tweak.

    Pennywise, Oct 13, 2004
  8. Sharon Sharp

    Rob B. Guest

    http://www.techhowto.org/howto/slowconnect.shtml