dialup ISP, computers sharing one connection

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike Lepore, Aug 6, 2006.

  1. Mike Lepore

    Mike Lepore Guest

    Tried unsuccessfully - can it be done? Computer running Windows XP and
    having
    built-in 802.11g, connected to phone line, using dialup PPP account. In the
    same house,
    another computer also Windows XP and with built-in 802.11g, we want to have
    it go
    to a web page wirelessly. Also, in the same house, a computer running
    Windows XP, it
    doesn't have a built-in wireless, but an 802.11b card and drivers are
    installed, we want it to
    go to a web page wirelessly. We are aware that the slowness of dialup will
    mean bad
    performance, but don't care about speed. Problem is, only the computer with
    the phone wire
    plugged into it will display web pages. The other computers say, "wireless
    network detected,
    signal strength excellent", but the browser can't load a web page. The
    wireless
    network setup wizard and the network setup wizard have been run on all the
    computers.
    How do you tell a browser on the non-phone-wire computers to use this
    connection?
    IE for example, always says: "The web page you requested is not available
    offline.
    To view this page click Connect." Clicking connect will only bring up the
    dropdown
    box to choose the phone number of one of our dialup ISPs, and selecting one
    makes it try to dial. I don't recognize anything there that looks like a
    choice to use the
    wireless instead of dial-up. I will very much appreciate suggestions. Thank
    you.

    Mike Lepore - lepore at bestweb dot net

    Mike Lepore, Aug 6, 2006

  2. Mike Lepore

    Marian Gutu Guest

    Hello,

    You'll have to enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the gateway
    computer. Run Network Setup Wizard on all pc's; for the GW pc, select "This
    computer connect directly to the internet. The other computers connect to
    the Internet though this computer", select modem as a prefered connection
    for the internet an wireless card to accept incoming connections. First
    check if the wireless network works (try to ping the computers, browse the
    network, verify the IP's and so on). Then be sure the modem connection has
    enable ICS (right click on the connection, advanced, check "Alow other
    network users to connect trough this computer's internet connection"). Also,
    you can check on the start, run, services.msc if ICS is enable.
    Here you have some articles about ICS:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306126
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/index.htm

    Good luck.
    --
    Marian Gutu

    MCP, MCSAs, MCSEs
    Be nice, society already sucks!

    May the Force be with you!
    http://www.google.com

    Marian Gutu, Aug 6, 2006

  3. I have the same situation, desktop(office) as host connected to router with
    ethernet cable, and two laptops(clients) sharing files, printer and dialup
    connection. I also have an Apple Airport Express in the living room to
    extend the range of my wireless. Both laptops have built in wireless.

    The only way I could get sharing the dialup on the laptops, was to use
    analogx as a proxy. Very easy to setup.
    http://www.analogx.com/CONTENTS/download/network/proxy.htm

    Hope this helps.
    Bob