    service provider, and it never freezes.

    Any ideas on cause or solution?

    Thanks
    Satnam Singh, Aug 5, 2005

  2. Satnam Singh

    dworkin Guest

    Satnam Singh wrote:

    > After approximately 30 minutes (can be anywhere from 22 minutes to 50
    > minutes) after connecting to my dialup ISP, all data transfer stops.
    > The only recourse I've had is to disconnect and redial. This has been
    > going on for a year. I have other computers that connect to the same
    > service provider, and it never freezes.
    >
    > Any ideas on cause or solution?
    >
    > Thanks

    If you have Windows XP, go to your modem's Properties in Device Manager.
    Look on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box that says, "Allow
    Windows to turn off this device when not in use". If that solves the
    issue, you're done.

    Also with dialup, make sure the dialup properties aren't set to
    disconnect after x number of minutes of idleness. I doubt this is the
    cause, but it never hurts to check.

    Did this modem every work correctly? If so, what changed between the
    time it worked and the time it didn't? Answering that question can help
    focus the troubleshooting.

    And last, if all settings look correct and nothing has changed, swap it
    out for a known-working modem. If that solves the problem, discard the
    old one.

    Good luck,

    Dworkin
    --
    "That'll be 10 quid."
    dworkin, Aug 5, 2005

  3. Satnam Singh

    Satnam Singh Guest

    Got it fixed! You didn't hit the nail on the head, but you got me close
    enough, so THANKS! See comments below

    dworkin wrote:

    > Satnam Singh wrote:
    >
    > > After approximately 30 minutes (can be anywhere from 22 minutes to 50
    > > minutes) after connecting to my dialup ISP, all data transfer stops.
    > > The only recourse I've had is to disconnect and redial. This has been
    > > going on for a year. I have other computers that connect to the same
    > > service provider, and it never freezes.
    > >
    > > Any ideas on cause or solution?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > If you have Windows XP, go to your modem's Properties in Device Manager.

    No WinXP (eComstation, a third party supported version of an updated
    OS2).

    > Look on the Power Management tab and uncheck the box that says, "Allow
    > Windows to turn off this device when not in use". If that solves the
    > issue, you're done.

    Never used Power Management features, nor could I find any references to
    Power Management in the config/setup utilities.

    > Also with dialup, make sure the dialup properties aren't set to
    > disconnect after x number of minutes of idleness. I doubt this is the
    > cause, but it never hurts to check.

    Check this, no impact on problem.

    > Did this modem every work correctly? If so, what changed between the
    > time it worked and the time it didn't? Answering that question can help
    > focus the troubleshooting.

    Its a multi system boot computer, works fine under Win98.

    > And last, if all settings look correct and nothing has changed, swap it
    > out for a known-working modem. If that solves the problem, discard the
    > old one.

    Hmmm, when I installed eComstation as an upgrade to OS2. On the OS2
    help newsgroups, the only suggestion was try installing an aftermarket
    dialer (I'd never previously had a problem with the dialer provide with
    OS2).

    > Good luck,
    >
    > Dworkin
    > --
    > "That'll be 10 quid."

    I did some research on the Power Management (APM in OS2 lingo). Seems
    there were three files sys files loading via the config.sys file. I
    REMed the out and voila, problem gone.

    Thanks for the ideas.

    Where do I send the 10 quid? <g>
    Satnam Singh, Aug 14, 2005