    I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM

    Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    downloads on dial up?
    Howard Heflin, Mar 21, 2007

  2. Howard Heflin

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Howard Heflin wrote:
    > I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.
    >
    > I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    > find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available
    > according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems
    > to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
    > the bandwidth.
    >
    > I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
    >
    > Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    > downloads on dial up?

    <snipped>

    Circuit switching dominates the public switched telephone network or
    PSTN. Network resources set up calls over the most efficient route. That
    might mean a call from New York to San Francisco goes through switching
    centers in San Diego, Chicago, and Saint Louis. But no matter how
    convoluted the route, that path or circuit stays the same throughout the
    call. Got it? One call, one circuit. It's like having a dedicated
    railroad track with only one train, your call, permitted on the track at
    a time.

    <snipped>

    The connection can start switching for best path on bottlenecks, which
    leads to packet loss, re-transmission of packets, transmission slow down
    by the sender, etc, etc.

    The link with the article explains what happens with data in a TCP/IP
    connection, really starting around figure 7 as to why things work they
    work and the measures taken to make it work.

    <http://www.cisco.com/web/about/ac123/ac147/ac174/ac196/about_cisco_ipj_archive_article09186a00800c8417.html>
    Mr. Arnold, Mar 22, 2007

  3. Howard Heflin

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:34:34 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

    >I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

    If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
    the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
    download rate you can.

    >I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    >find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available

    Depends on the far end and everything in between.

    >according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems

    What process, unless... oh well it maybe doesn't matter because you
    might mean the Networking tab, which isn't a great guide anyway.

    >to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
    >the bandwidth.

    30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.

    >I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
    >
    >Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    >downloads on dial up?

    Ask them?

    Or if it's not them, ask every intermediate provider up to the admins of
    the server you download from.

    You could have put - speeds dial up earthlink in your subject line so
    maybe earthlink users may have noticed.

    Me
    why?, Mar 22, 2007
  4. why? wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:34:34 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
    >
    >> I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

    > If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
    > the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
    > download rate you can.
    >
    >> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    >> find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available

    > Depends on the far end and everything in between.
    >
    >> according to the Windows Task Manager. However, then the process seems

    > What process, unless... oh well it maybe doesn't matter because you
    > might mean the Networking tab, which isn't a great guide anyway.
    >
    >> to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
    >> the bandwidth.

    > 30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.
    >
    >> I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
    >>
    >> Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    >> downloads on dial up?

    > Ask them?
    >
    > Or if it's not them, ask every intermediate provider up to the admins of
    > the server you download from.
    >
    > You could have put - speeds dial up earthlink in your subject line so
    > maybe earthlink users may have noticed.
    >
    > Me

    Thanks to both of you for the feed back.

    FWIW its 30-42% max of 56Kb or around a max download rate of 17Kb to
    24Kb. That's not what I would call good. :-(
    Howard Heflin, Mar 23, 2007
  5. Howard Heflin

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:06:35 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:34:34 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have dial up and use a US Robotics V-Everything for my connections.

    >> If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
    >> the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
    >> download rate you can.
    >>
    >>> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    >>> find that it will start out using most of the bandwidth available

    >> Depends on the far end and everything in between.

    <snip>

    >> 30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.

    <snip>

    >Thanks to both of you for the feed back.

    Yw.

    >FWIW its 30-42% max of 56Kb or around a max download rate of 17Kb to
    >24Kb. That's not what I would call good. :-(

    You could have snipped a bit, or not bottom posted 3 lines at the end.

    Do remember 56k was a in theory maximum, not really obtainable in
    practice. You may find old posts in 24HSHD mentioning speeds.

    IIRC, 6/7+ years ago since I had dialup, it was about the time V92 came
    out. ISP had the industrial rack versions of the USR V.92 hardware. I
    upgraded my modem to a USR 56K V.92 + drivers and the speeds went up to
    37,500 / 48,000 speeds.

    You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?

    A lot of people did this-

    V.92 56000 baud, set COM port speed to closest (whatever it was). Except
    that *limits* the amount of data transferred between the PC/modem, not
    the modem/ISP. i.e. you are slowing down the PC/modem data rate.

    With the modem, [buffers / compression] and UART on the the PC serial
    port it (I always used hardware external modems, never winmodems) will
    transfer data to/from the PC at 115200 baud.

    Me
    why?, Mar 23, 2007
  6. why? wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 00:06:35 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
    >
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> If your ISP has V-Everything and the line is at optimum performance and
    >>> the server could supply files as fast as request you will get the max
    >>> download rate you can.

    >>> Depends on the far end and everything in between.

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> 30-43% of what max, if it's 56K not bad, if it of 256K it's bad.

    > <snip>
    >
    >> Thanks to both of you for the feed back.

    > Yw.
    >
    >> FWIW its 30-42% max of 56Kb or around a max download rate of 17Kb to
    >> 24Kb. That's not what I would call good. :-(

    > You could have snipped a bit, or not bottom posted 3 lines at the end.
    >
    > Do remember 56k was a in theory maximum, not really obtainable in
    > practice. You may find old posts in 24HSHD mentioning speeds.
    >
    > IIRC, 6/7+ years ago since I had dialup, it was about the time V92 came
    > out. ISP had the industrial rack versions of the USR V.92 hardware. I
    > upgraded my modem to a USR 56K V.92 + drivers and the speeds went up to
    > 37,500 / 48,000 speeds.
    >
    > You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?
    >
    > A lot of people did this-
    >
    > V.92 56000 baud, set COM port speed to closest (whatever it was). Except
    > that *limits* the amount of data transferred between the PC/modem, not
    > the modem/ISP. i.e. you are slowing down the PC/modem data rate.
    >
    > With the modem, [buffers / compression] and UART on the the PC serial
    > port it (I always used hardware external modems, never winmodems) will
    > transfer data to/from the PC at 115200 baud.
    >
    > Me

    Yeh, I have the modem set to 115200 so I'm not sure exactly what your
    are saying I should do to improve things?
    Howard
    Howard Heflin, Mar 23, 2007
  7. Howard Heflin

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:45:07 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    >> <snip>

    <snip>

    >> You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?
    >>
    >> A lot of people did this-
    >>
    >> V.92 56000 baud, set COM port speed to closest (whatever it was). Except
    >> that *limits* the amount of data transferred between the PC/modem, not
    >> the modem/ISP. i.e. you are slowing down the PC/modem data rate.
    >>
    >> With the modem, [buffers / compression] and UART on the the PC serial
    >> port it (I always used hardware external modems, never winmodems) will
    >> transfer data to/from the PC at 115200 baud.
    >>
    >> Me

    >Yeh, I have the modem set to 115200 so I'm not sure exactly what your
    >are saying I should do to improve things?

    Some people set the COM port speed to 57000 (just looked up values).

    Well you didn't mention it at first, so as you have it set to 115200
    that's that sorted, you don't need to change it. Otherwise the
    improvement would have been change it to 115200.

    Driver issue?

    Maybe it's just the phone line.

    Me
    why?, Mar 23, 2007
  8. why? wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:45:07 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
    >
    >> why? wrote:

    >>> <snip>

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> You have set the serial COM port baud rate to 115200?
    >>>
    >>> A lot of people did this-
    >>>

    > <snip>
    >
    >> Yeh, I have the modem set to 115200 so I'm not sure exactly what your
    >> are saying I should do to improve things?

    > Some people set the COM port speed to 57000 (just looked up values).
    >
    > Well you didn't mention it at first, so as you have it set to 115200
    > that's that sorted, you don't need to change it. Otherwise the
    > improvement would have been change it to 115200.
    >
    > Driver issue?
    >
    > Maybe it's just the phone line.
    >
    > Me

    This all leads me to wonder if DSL will be much of an improvement if its
    a phone line issue. :p Is there any relatively easy way to determine
    if it's a line issue?
    Howard
    Howard Heflin, Mar 24, 2007
  9. Howard Heflin

    Guest

    On Mar 22, 10:34 am, Howard Heflin
    <> wrote:
    > I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    > find that it will start out using most of thebandwidthavailable
    > according to the Windows TaskManager. However, then the process seems
    > to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
    > thebandwidth.
    >
    > I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
    >
    > Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    > downloads on dial up?

    The problem is TCP ack packets not getting through. Use a program
    that prioritizes the TCP control traffic and you will get close to
    100% line utilization (Traffic Shaper XP is a good freeware one).
    , Mar 24, 2007
  10. Howard Heflin

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:19:19 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

    >why? wrote:

    <big snip>

    >> Driver issue?
    >>
    >> Maybe it's just the phone line.
    >>
    >> Me

    >This all leads me to wonder if DSL will be much of an improvement if its
    >a phone line issue. :p Is there any relatively easy way to determine
    >if it's a line issue?

    I would suspect that if you research local ISP, DSL support forums you
    will find lots of info.

    Ask the phone company to test the line.

    >Howard

    Me
    why?, Mar 24, 2007
  11. why? wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 00:19:19 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:
    >
    >> why? wrote:

    > <big snip>
    >
    >>> Driver issue?
    >>>
    >>> Maybe it's just the phone line.
    >>>
    >>> Me

    >> This all leads me to wonder if DSL will be much of an improvement if its
    >> a phone line issue. :p Is there any relatively easy way to determine
    >> if it's a line issue?

    > I would suspect that if you research local ISP, DSL support forums you
    > will find lots of info.
    >
    > Ask the phone company to test the line.
    >
    >> Howard

    > Me

    Thanks for the info. :)
    Howard
    Howard Heflin, Mar 27, 2007
  12. wrote:
    > On Mar 22, 10:34 am, Howard Heflin
    > <> wrote:
    >> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    >> find that it will start out using most of thebandwidthavailable
    >> according to the Windows TaskManager. However, then the process seems
    >> to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
    >> thebandwidth.
    >>
    >> I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
    >>
    >> Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    >> downloads on dial up?

    > The problem is TCP ack packets not getting through. Use a program
    > that prioritizes the TCP control traffic and you will get close to
    > 100% line utilization (Traffic Shaper XP is a good freeware one).

    Thanks; but my main issue seems to with downloading via HTTP not FTP. I
    have found a couple of FTP utilities that help by making multiple
    connections to the download site. However, many of the downloads are
    via HTTP. They seem to behave differently.

    I installed the Traffic Shaper XP s/w; but that did not seem to effect
    those HTTP downloads nor any of the "streaming" video issues. While they
    do tend to stay above 50%, they fluctuate quite a bit with periodic
    drops to below 10% and get some major drop out. Some streaming sound
    from radio stations seems to work just fine while others types of
    streaming sound do not.

    It's just odd that the network load starts out at full usage and then
    drops to less than 50%.

    I think that I'm going to have to check with my phone carrier (Verizon)
    to have them check the line as was suggested by "Why" in the other part
    of this thread.
    Howard
    Howard Heflin, Mar 28, 2007
  13. Howard Heflin

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:58:35 GMT, Howard Heflin wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> On Mar 22, 10:34 am, Howard Heflin
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> I have no problem connecting to the net; but when I download a file, I
    >>> find that it will start out using most of thebandwidthavailable
    >>> according to the Windows TaskManager. However, then the process seems
    >>> to throttle to the point that it is using only a maximum of 30 - 43% of
    >>> thebandwidth.
    >>>
    >>> I'm using XP-Pro SP2 on a dual core 64 AMD with 2G of RAM
    >>>
    >>> Any one want to give me a clue why this occurs? Does ELNK throttle
    >>> downloads on dial up?

    >> The problem is TCP ack packets not getting through. Use a program
    >> that prioritizes the TCP control traffic and you will get close to
    >> 100% line utilization (Traffic Shaper XP is a good freeware one).
    >>

    >Thanks; but my main issue seems to with downloading via HTTP not FTP. I
    >have found a couple of FTP utilities that help by making multiple
    >connections to the download site. However, many of the downloads are
    >via HTTP. They seem to behave differently.

    Ah some new info then, you didn't mention before.

    >I installed the Traffic Shaper XP s/w; but that did not seem to effect
    >those HTTP downloads nor any of the "streaming" video issues. While they

    Traffic shaping works best when the other end (kit in between) knows
    about it as well, XP has it's own QoS built in anyway.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316666

    HTTP is more likely to be affected by a proxy somewhere, or even a
    policy on the remote end.

    It seems odd for ACKs to be affecting HTTP but work fine on FTP, email ,
    general browsing (that's okay?) or anything else you do.

    TCP/IP takes care of all the communications at a level much lower then
    the application, HTTP, FTP , POP3, SMTP etc, other things

    [ optional - OSI Stack, applications at the top layer 7 and TCP/IP
    doesn't
    http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_Layers.asp
    follow it exactly, but sort of fits into Transport / Network.
    See function description on the table,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model
    The upshot of all of that is your FTP application does - an application
    request - open connection to server, this is converted from the
    application command to data / session / connection / how to get there
    and so on. ]

    Traffic shaping isn't much of an issue for 1 user more so on 56K dialup
    you generally can't do 3 or 4 streaming video / sound , downloading
    sessions at once. Without multiple PCs you are also unlikely to want to
    ensure 1 PC used for games gets 45-90% of available bandwidth while an
    other gets 5% to download etc.

    >do tend to stay above 50%, they fluctuate quite a bit with periodic
    >drops to below 10% and get some major drop out. Some streaming sound
    >from radio stations seems to work just fine while others types of
    >streaming sound do not.
    >
    >It's just odd that the network load starts out at full usage and then
    >drops to less than 50%.
    >
    >I think that I'm going to have to check with my phone carrier (Verizon)
    >to have them check the line as was suggested by "Why" in the other part
    >of this thread.
    >Howard

    There are quite a lot of articles on this sort of thing, TCP tuning I
    have never used it. You may want to have a look and compare opinions see
    if it's worked for others. Most likely asking in your ISP newsgroups if
    other uses have done any of the changes.

    http://www.pctoday.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2006/t0408/29t08/29t08.asp&guid=
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    http://www.networkcomputing.com/1013/1013ws1.html

    List of articles / tools
    http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Shareware/Windows/Internet/Dial-Up_Networking/

    [ also optional - Note on XP QoS,
    Your ISP connection -to a Windows Server running QoS management - PCs
    running QoS.
    As the ISP end and everything else isn't QoS it doesn't help much
    generally, however if you set the policy at the server it manages the
    QoS to each PC hence what's going over the ISP link, so it's effectively
    the throttle device for each PC. ]

    Me
    why?, Mar 28, 2007
  14. why? wrote:
> [...]

    > have never used it. You may want to have a look and compare opinions see
    > if it's worked for others. Most likely asking in your ISP newsgroups if
    > other uses have done any of the changes.
    >
    > http://www.pctoday.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2006/t0408/29t08/29t08.asp&guid=
    > http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php
    > http://www.networkcomputing.com/1013/1013ws1.html
    >
    > List of articles / tools
    > http://dmoz.org/Computers/Software/Shareware/Windows/Internet/Dial-Up_Networking/
    >
    > [ also optional - Note on XP QoS,
    > Your ISP connection -to a Windows Server running QoS management - PCs
    > running QoS.
    > As the ISP end and everything else isn't QoS it doesn't help much
    > generally, however if you set the policy at the server it manages the
    > QoS to each PC hence what's going over the ISP link, so it's effectively

    Thanks for even more information. I think that I'll check with the
    phone company before I start getting down into the insides of this thing.
    Howard
    Howard Heflin, Mar 31, 2007