    5 seconds. I have cleaned the viruses he had. I am about to uninstall
    Internet Explorer and BT Anytime and re-install unless anyone has a better
    idea. Thanks Alan.
    A, Jun 21, 2004

  2. A

    AG Guest

    "A" <> wrote in message news:cb7i5e$abg$...
    > I have a client whose BT dialup disconnects after being connected for

    about
    > 5 seconds. I have cleaned the viruses he had. I am about to uninstall
    > Internet Explorer and BT Anytime and re-install unless anyone has a better
    > idea. Thanks Alan.

    As a person that works at an ISP check to see that his bill is paid. :)
    That is what our server will do with an over due bill.
    AG
    AG, Jun 22, 2004

  3. A

    A Guest

    Thanks to those who replied. I have answered my own question: Outlook
    Express was set to check for new emails when Internet Explorer is opened and
    set to disconnect after receiving them. The client had no new emails and
    therefore the Internet connection was disconnecting within 5 seconds!

    A, Jun 24, 2004
  4. A

    A Guest

    Yes, thanks for that. The PC actually had three viruses. They were also
    reported multiple times probably because he had his own email address in
    Windows address book. I know IE doesn't have these settings, yes they are
    all in Outlook Express and had been changed to Send & Receive at start up
    and hang up after sending and receiving. I have passed A+ Core exam and am
    getting practice mainly on friends and neighbours PCs while revising for the
    OS exam. We all have to start somewhere and they are grateful not to have to
    pay out £40 or more to a shop.

    "ImhoTech" <> wrote in message

    > "A" <> wrote in message news:cbep7j$3qd$...
    > > Thanks to those who replied. I have answered my own question: Outlook
    > > Express was set to check for new emails when Internet Explorer is opened

    > and
    > > set to disconnect after receiving them. The client had no new emails and
    > > therefore the Internet connection was disconnecting within 5 seconds!
    > >

    > Probably a dozen people or more here who would have told you to check that
    > had you mentioned email.
    >
    > Outlook Express can't be set to check for mail when INTERNET EXPLORER

    opens.

    > Sorry for the asshole bit, but I gotta add, if you can't verify basic

    setup

    A, Jun 26, 2004