    Frank
    GA
    correct email is

    Frank Thompson, May 21, 2005

  2. Frank Thompson wrote:
    > Windows 2ksp4
    > normal connection speed is 51,000 kbs. Past few days it has been down
    > to 34.6 kps. Subbed another machine on same line and got 46,000.
    > Back to regular machine and 34.6.
    > Max speed setting in configuration window (network & dialup connection
    > in Programs) is 115,200. in Control Panel>phone & modem
    > optios>modem>properties>general.maximium connection speed the setting
    > is 57,600kps.
    > All of the above, to me should mean I should get much faster that
    > current 34.6 kps....in light of results with another machine.
    > What can I do to fix this?

    I wouldn't put your email in the body of the post if you're wantint to
    avoid getting spam. Anyway, try to install updated drivers for the
    modem. If no improvement, try different modem. They're cheap now.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 21, 2005

  3. Frank Thompson

    Aquanaut Guest

    "Frank Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > Windows 2ksp4
    > normal connection speed is 51,000 kbs. Past few days it has been down
    > to 34.6 kps. Subbed another machine on same line and got 46,000.
    > Back to regular machine and 34.6.
    > Max speed setting in configuration window (network & dialup connection
    > in Programs) is 115,200. in Control Panel>phone & modem
    > optios>modem>properties>general.maximium connection speed the setting
    > is 57,600kps.
    > All of the above, to me should mean I should get much faster that
    > current 34.6 kps....in light of results with another machine.
    > What can I do to fix this?
    > Frank
    > GA
    > correct email is

    Down load is subjective to supply---your 34.6 is pretty good/average for
    dial up 56k
    Nothing you can do or tweak is going to give you a noticable performance
    increase.
    Open the wallet and get cable/ISDN then you will see the difference --even
    with a 2MB cable connection sometimes all you can get is 12-14kbs depends
    on what/who is outputting the file,and how they are supplying it.You cannot
    get a 56k modem to supply faster than its output.

    Aquanaut, May 21, 2005
  4. Frank Thompson

    Plato Guest

    Frank Thompson wrote:

    > normal connection speed is 51,000 kbs. Past few days it has been down
    > to 34.6 kps. Subbed another machine on same line and got 46,000.
    > Back to regular machine and 34.6.

    Stuff like that happens and is not due to your settings. The reason the
    other box connected higher is it has a different modem that is more
    liberal. If you used the other box before you had the slowdown IT would
    have connected perhaps faster than the original 51 on your primary box.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 22, 2005