    over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).

    Any clues? Help appreciated.

    Paul
    Maxie, May 3, 2007

  2. Maxie

    John Ellard Guest

    Maxie wrote:
    > There's an XP computer connected to the Net via Dialup.
    > A second computer on 98SE networked to the XP.
    >
    > If XP pc is on the net and the 98 is then turned on, the XP starts to look
    > over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).
    >
    > Any clues? Help appreciated.
    >
    > Paul

    A1. Why is either machine ever being turned off? Just turn the monitors
    off when not in use. I'm serious. The only time we power down our home
    (or work) PCs is when there's a storm around. Then we unplug PCs,
    routers, printers, cable modems, and unplug phone lines and outside data
    lines.

    A2. Are both PCs configured as part of a workgroup? I presume they are,
    or at least Internet Connection Sharing is enabled?

    A3. Check XP to see if Internet Connection Sharing is turned on.
    (See below for step-by-step instructions)

    A4. Check the network settings and what services are running.

    -----------------------------
    From XP Professional Help:

    To view the status of a shared Internet connection

    1. Open Network Connections.

    2. Right-click the icon for the shared Internet connection, and then
    click Status.

    Notes

    * To open Network Connections, click Start, click Control Panel, click
    Network and Internet Connections, and then click Network Connections.

    * If the Show icon in notification area when connected check box is
    selected for the shared Internet connection, you can click the icon for
    the shared Internet connection to open its status window.

    * If Windows Firewall is enabled, UPnP framework must be selected on the
    Exceptions tab in Windows Firewall for Internet Gateway Device Discovery
    and Control to work.

    Related Topics
    John Ellard, May 4, 2007

  3. Maxie

    Maxie Guest

    "John Ellard" <> wrote in message
    > Maxie wrote:
    >> There's an XP computer connected to the Net via Dialup.
    >> A second computer on 98SE networked to the XP.
    >>
    >> If XP pc is on the net and the 98 is then turned on, the XP starts to
    >> look over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).
    >>
    >> Any clues? Help appreciated.
    >>
    >> Paul
    >>

    > A1. Why is either machine ever being turned off?

    Because they run windows.

    And because they can catch fire while I'm in bed. has happened before. i
    prefer living.

    > Just turn the monitors off when not in use. I'm serious.

    Beware of power supplies that catch fire then. It's scary shit.

    > The only time we power down our home (or work) PCs is when there's a storm
    > around. Then we unplug PCs, routers, printers, cable modems, and unplug
    > phone lines and outside data lines.

    i wouldn't leave your house unattended then.

    > A2. Are both PCs configured as part of a workgroup? I presume they are, or
    > at least Internet Connection Sharing is enabled?

    They are networked together. no need for ICS. Just don't want XP pc to look
    at 98 pc for web pages

    > A3. Check XP to see if Internet Connection Sharing is turned on.
    > (See below for step-by-step instructions)
    >
    > A4. Check the network settings and what services are running.
    >
    > -----------------------------
    > From XP Professional Help:
    >
    > To view the status of a shared Internet connection
    >
    > 1. Open Network Connections.
    >
    > 2. Right-click the icon for the shared Internet connection, and then click
    > Status.

    Haven't got one as far as i can see.

    Oh well
    Maxie, May 4, 2007
  4. Maxie

    Zareth Guest

    "Maxie" <> wrote in message

    > "John Ellard" <> wrote in message
    >> Maxie wrote:
    >>> There's an XP computer connected to the Net via Dialup.
    >>> A second computer on 98SE networked to the XP.
    >>>
    >>> If XP pc is on the net and the 98 is then turned on, the XP starts to
    >>> look over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).
    >>>
    >>> Any clues? Help appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Paul
    >>>

    >> A1. Why is either machine ever being turned off?

    > Because they run windows.
    >
    > And because they can catch fire while I'm in bed. has happened before. i
    > prefer living.

    I realize turning your computer off is your perogative but it should be safe
    to leave them on unless there are other issues. Not an expert on power
    supplies heating up but most businesses with networks leave their computers
    up and running 24/7 so their computers can run scheduled updates and stuff
    when needed.
    But again, if it is something that you fear (and I would to if that has
    happened to me) I would turn the computer off as well.
    Zareth, May 6, 2007
  5. Maxie

    Tony Guest

    >>> If XP pc is on the net and the 98 is then turned on, the XP starts to
    >>> look over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).
    >>>
    >>> Any clues? Help appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Paul

    Why would the XP machine look to the 98 machine for webpages????? How is the XP machine connected?
    Do you have an ethernet card? Go to Network Connections and see what it shows. Is it Broadband, Dial
    Up, etc? When in Internet Explorer, go to Tools\Internet Options\ Connections. WHat does it show?
    Please give more info.

    Tony
    Tony, May 7, 2007
  6. Maxie

    Maxie Guest

    "Tony" < > wrote in message

    > Why would the XP machine look to the 98 machine for webpages?????

    That's MY question.

    > How is the XP machine connected?

    Blue ethernet cable

    > Do you have an ethernet card?

    How else could they be networked together?

    Go to Network Connections and see what it shows. Is it Broadband, Dial
    > Up, etc?

    Dialup. it's in the original post.

    When in Internet Explorer, go to Tools\Internet Options\ Connections. WHat
    does it show?
    > Please give more info.

    Under what specifically?

    > Tony

    I guess my question is, "if I WANTED the XP to go to the 98 for internet,
    where would i go to do that?" so I can go there and turn it off.

    Paul.
    Maxie, May 7, 2007
  7. On Fri, 4 May 2007 01:55:25 +1000
    "Maxie" <> wrote:

    > There's an XP computer connected to the Net via Dialup.
    > A second computer on 98SE networked to the XP.
    >
    > If XP pc is on the net and the 98 is then turned on, the XP starts to look
    > over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).
    >
    > Any clues? Help appreciated.

    On the XP machine, right-click My Network Places -> Properties, then r-click
    the local area connection -> Properties

    Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) -> Properties.

    What are the settings for your IP address and the DNS server? If you are using
    a static IP address, you need to insert here the DNS addresses (primary and
    secondary) of your ISP. If you haven't got them, phone and ask, or check the
    ISP's online help as it may be listed there.

    Then go back to My Network Places -> Properties, and this time select your
    dial-up account, -> Properties and select the Networking tab. Again get to
    TCP/IP properties and make sure this time you are getting your IP address
    automatically, but again specify you ISP's DNS addresses manually.

    I think that should help.
    Fred the Ferret, May 8, 2007
  8. Maxie

    ptdivh Guest

    "Fred the Ferret" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 4 May 2007 01:55:25 +1000
    > "Maxie" <> wrote:
    >
    >> There's an XP computer connected to the Net via Dialup.
    >> A second computer on 98SE networked to the XP.
    >>
    >> If XP pc is on the net and the 98 is then turned on, the XP starts to
    >> look
    >> over the Local Network to get web pages (or emails etc).
    >>
    >> Any clues? Help appreciated.
    >>

    > On the XP machine, right-click My Network Places -> Properties, then
    > r-click
    > the local area connection -> Properties
    >
    > Select Internet Protocol(TCP/IP) -> Properties.
    >
    > What are the settings for your IP address and the DNS server? If you are
    > using
    > a static IP address, you need to insert here the DNS addresses (primary
    > and
    > secondary) of your ISP. If you haven't got them, phone and ask, or check
    > the
    > ISP's online help as it may be listed there.
    >
    > Then go back to My Network Places -> Properties, and this time select your
    > dial-up account, -> Properties and select the Networking tab. Again get to
    > TCP/IP properties and make sure this time you are getting your IP address
    > automatically, but again specify you ISP's DNS addresses manually.
    >
    > I think that should help.

    Ok, went into Network/Properties/LocalArea/Properties/TCP IP/Properties and
    removed 192.168.0.1 from Default Gateway, and all is better.

    Thanks for the clues.
    ptdivh, May 10, 2007