Dialpad is a SCAM?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by Pollock, Oct 6, 2003.

  1. Pollock

    Pollock Guest

    Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?

    I recently signed up, paying $15 for my subscription. What a
    disappointment! Though I could hear well, my callers couldn't hear a
    word I said. They kept on putting down the phone in frustration. I
    e-mailed Dialpad. I got standard replies, not tailored to my case. I
    tried to call Dialpad. Endless call waiting. No way of getting
    through. Finally, after being deluged with e-mails, Dialpad said that
    they would call me. They never did, although I sent them reminder
    notes.

    That's what I call a scam! They take subscribers' money. They don't
    deliver. They don't provide any way of getting service. They're $15
    richer, having delivered nothing.

    They claim to have 2 million customers. Two times fifteen, that's a
    take on this scam of 30 million dollars, minimum.

    The moral of the story? Don't sign up to Dialpad! If you do, they'll
    take your money, and you've got no recourse.

    Be warned by my experience.

    It's REALLY frustrating. I mean, I signed up in good faith. This
    seemed like a reputable company. But no, it's just a scam.

    Pollock, Oct 6, 2003

  2. Pollock

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Pollock <> wrote:
    > Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?

    Dunno about that, but I signed up for the free service with a unique email
    address (I generate a new address for each web site that requests it) and I
    have been receiving a fair amount of spam directed to that address.

    miguel
    Site remodeled 10-Sept-2003: Hundreds of new photos, easier navigation.

    Miguel Cruz, Oct 6, 2003

  3. Pollock

    Pollock Guest

    It's not the Dialpad spam issue I'm concerned about. That well known
    Dialpad irritation I can deal with, using Mailwasher. The Dialpad
    service I signed up to was not free. Far from it. I paid my money
    for Dialpad, but Dialpad didn't give me any service.

    Anyone using Dialpad to call the U.S. from an overseas location
    beware. Dialpad takes your money, but Dialpad gives you no customer
    support! None!

    Dialpad just takes your money and runs! Dialpad is the worst rip-off
    in internet telephony!

    Pollock, Oct 7, 2003
  4. Pollock

    NO SPAMMERS Guest

    Miguel Cruz wrote:

    > Pollock <> wrote:
    >> Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?

    > Dunno about that, but I signed up for the free service with a unique email
    > address (I generate a new address for each web site that requests it) and
    > I have been receiving a fair amount of spam directed to that address.
    >
    > miguel

    Does DialPad still offer free service? I used to have a DialPad account and
    made lots of free calls to the US. However, since DialPad has started to
    charge for the calls, I never use the account anymore. When it comes for a
    free service, regardless how bad is the services is so long as I can still
    place the calls, I can't complain. However, if you had to pay for the
    service that you don't get even though after you have filed for complains,
    the only suggestion I can think of is to terminate your subscription. That
    way, you won't be streesed out to keep making complaints.

    --
    NO_SPAMMERS

    NO SPAMMERS, Oct 7, 2003
  5. Pollock

    Guest

    No Voip is worth a squat unless you are connected via broadband. Dialpad
    says as much in their FAQ.

    Pollock wrote:

    > Has anyone else has concluded like me - Dialpad is essentially a scam?
    >
    > I recently signed up, paying $15 for my subscription. What a
    > disappointment! Though I could hear well, my callers couldn't hear a
    > word I said. They kept on putting down the phone in frustration. I
    > e-mailed Dialpad. I got standard replies, not tailored to my case. I
    > tried to call Dialpad. Endless call waiting. No way of getting
    > through. Finally, after being deluged with e-mails, Dialpad said that
    > they would call me. They never did, although I sent them reminder
    > notes.
    >
    > That's what I call a scam! They take subscribers' money. They don't
    > deliver. They don't provide any way of getting service. They're $15
    > richer, having delivered nothing.
    >
    > They claim to have 2 million customers. Two times fifteen, that's a
    > take on this scam of 30 million dollars, minimum.
    >
    > The moral of the story? Don't sign up to Dialpad! If you do, they'll
    > take your money, and you've got no recourse.
    >
    > Be warned by my experience.
    >
    > It's REALLY frustrating. I mean, I signed up in good faith. This
    > seemed like a reputable company. But no, it's just a scam.

    , Oct 7, 2003
  6. Pollock

    Pollock Guest

    wrote in message news:<>...
    > No Voip is worth a squat unless you are connected via broadband. Dialpad
    > says as much in their FAQ.

    I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.

    Pollock, Oct 8, 2003
  7. Pollock

    Guest

    Pollock wrote:

    > wrote in message news:<>...
    > > No Voip is worth a squat unless you are connected via broadband. Dialpad
    > > says as much in their FAQ.

    > I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.

    Then, get rid of it and try Vonage. It works great.

    , Oct 8, 2003
  8. Pollock

    Pollock Guest

    > > I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.
    >
    > Then, get rid of it and try Vonage. It works great.

    I'm not sure that I can use Vonage for calls from the Philippines. It
    looks like it's focused a) on calls within the U.S. and b) calls from
    the U.S. to the rest of the world.

    Pollock, Oct 9, 2003
  9. Pollock

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Pollock <> wrote:
    >>> I AM connected via broadband. This is NOT the issue.

    >> Then, get rid of it and try Vonage. It works great.

    > I'm not sure that I can use Vonage for calls from the Philippines. It
    > looks like it's focused a) on calls within the U.S. and b) calls from
    > the U.S. to the rest of the world.

    Also calls TO the US and Canada, assuming you've brought your ATA-186 with
    you.

    Miguel Cruz, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Pollock

    Pollock Guest

    > Does DialPad still offer free service? I used to have a DialPad account and
    > made lots of free calls to the US. However, since DialPad has started to
    > charge for the calls, I never use the account anymore. When it comes for a
    > free service, regardless how bad is the services is so long as I can still
    > place the calls, I can't complain. However, if you had to pay for the
    > service that you don't get even though after you have filed for complains,
    > the only suggestion I can think of is to terminate your subscription. That
    > way, you won't be streesed out to keep making complaints.

    No free service any more.

    I complain because
    a) It may get me better service from Dialpad;
    b) I believe it is a public duty

    Pollock, Oct 13, 2003
  11. Pollock

    Pollock Guest

    Pollock, Oct 13, 2003
  12. Pollock

    John Smith Guest

    I've setup a DialPad account (in the US) for my in-law's in India.
    They use DialPad regularly to call us and it works fine (there are
    times when it's not very clear, but not too often), and they're on a
    dialup account. At 4 cents/minute it sure beats AT&T's rate of
    42cents/min :).

    John Smith, Oct 17, 2003
  13. Pollock

    root Guest

    John Smith wrote:

    > I've setup a DialPad account (in the US) for my in-law's in India.
    > They use DialPad regularly to call us and it works fine (there are
    > times when it's not very clear, but not too often), and they're on a
    > dialup account. At 4 cents/minute it sure beats AT&T's rate of
    > 42cents/min :).

    At $0.04/minute is the rate you pay to DialPAD for a PC2Phone service,
    right? What about the cost for the dialup in India for your folks? If you
    already have a broadband Internet connection, you could have setup your own
    VoIP to cut down the cost and still enjoy a better audio quality than
    DialPAD can offer you.

    I have setup a VoIPBlaster (VB) server (using Fobbit phonebook software) on
    my Linux machine for me and my friends + their folks/friends (from some of
    the S.E. Asean countries). Currently, my friends' folks can call their VB
    devices or vice versa. Their folks/friends only need to pay the dialup
    service to their local ISP which costs about US$1/hr or < US$0.0167/minute
    (2/5 DialPAD costs). Most of my friends already have broadband connections
    here in the US; therefore, their VB devices are always on. In this scheme,
    both ends have to have a VB device locally attached to their computers.
    This is a Point-2-Point PC2PC call; therefore, the audio quality is next to
    the best since the connection is 100% digital between the two VB devices.
    The only analog connections are from the VB devices to the (digital
    cordless) telephones. However, delays, missing syllabus, and jitterings do
    occur.

    --
    root/administrator

    root, Oct 18, 2003